Kaplan Topicals Harder than AAMC Exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neha4000

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Is it just me or are the Kaplan Subject Topicals slightly harder than the AAMC questions? I seem to miss more questions in the Topicals for some reason, but there is a good chance that its just me! What do other people who are using the Topicals think?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

for me, this is how i would compare topicals to aamc tests
physics > g-chem > orgo > bio

I did the topicals as they were assigned during the course (i.e. as homework from the previous lesson.) I found the physics (and to some degree gchem and ochem) very difficult at first, and nearly impossible to finish within the time limit. However, by the end of the course I could finish on time for most of the tests and they became less difficult. So if you're finding them hard right now, don't worry. By the time the test comes around they won't seem as hard. And I would agree with previous posters that Kaplan physics questions are harder than AAMC physics. However, that doesn't mean you'll get a higher score. Kaplan's scale is pretty accurate, in my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan topicals are way harder than the AAMC topicals (which were much easier than the real thing - not a good representative). A lot of the Kaplan topicals were passage-based, but not all. Most of them were an MCAT-representative split of passages and discretes. They're usually about half an hour's worth of questions each (there's something like 100 of them :eek: maybe a few less ;)).

Kaplan's tests were harder than the real thing (for me), which I was glad for, because the real thing seemed easier than what I'd been taking for the past month and a half.