1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Kaplan Topicals--wtf?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by pufferfish, Jul 16, 2006.

1. pufferfish

pufferfish Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I can't do them.. it's not like I go back to the solutions and then say "oh yeah, that's it"... I don't even get the solutions... it's as though I'm reading a foreign language... the review book questions, subject tests--fine... topicals--forget about it... what kind of gauge are these ba$tards? i am taking a full length monday/tuesday, but part of me is hesitant to because if I can't handle these $h!tty topicals, how in hell am I to handle a FL? ;)

what'cha guys think/know? thnx-- pfr --pardon any typos

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I found the topicals much, much, much harder than the Kaplan FLs, and the Kaplan FLs much harder than AAMC practice tests.

4. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The answer explanations for the topicals typically are way more complicated than necessary.

5. Ginkneephur

Ginkneephur Insane Since 1984
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I didn't even bother with the topicals after not even getting a 50% on the first physics ones. My Kaplan prof even said don't worry about them. You should print the topics list off the AAMC website and use that to make sure you're familiar with most of the topics... :luck: :luck: :luck:

6. lakerlovin

lakerlovin Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've also been taking the Kaplan topicals recently. Even though they're hard (REALLY hard), I'm hoping that they'll help me with the harder questions on the actual test. I don't know if that logic makes any sense, but I think they're worth the time as long as they're not done at the expense of taking a good number of full lengths.

7. Ginkneephur

Ginkneephur Insane Since 1984
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think the Kaplan topicals are wayyyyy harder than any of the Qs on the real MCAT. In my experience the questions were not extremely complicated. You had to be able to deduce the answer or already know it but they weren't crazy with calculations or miniscual (spelling's prolly not right) details that needed memorizing. I think the best practice for MCAT Qs is doing all of the AAMC practice tests and I mean all of them. The more you practice (time yourself appropriately) I think the more comfortable you'll be on test day. I took 6 of the Kaplan FLs and they were harder than the real MCAT but when you do the kaplan FL run throughs it helps you build up your stimina and get the timing down. For me, the real thing was like taking a kaplan FL but with more test anxiety (cuz I knew it was for real) and exhaustion from insomnia the night before. NEway, just my personal opinion. Again, :luck: :luck: :luck:

8. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    agreed :thumbup:
    So does this mean the general consensus is that Kaplan FL's are more difficult ?
    b/c i really hope that is the case

9. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Agreed. What I did was "post-phrase" the topical tests. So, I'd look up and circle the answers first (without reading the explanations) then I'd go through the test and try to figure out why the wrong answers were wrong and why the right answer was right. This takes some of the pressure off and gets you thinking critically, which is the whole point. :luck:

10. ctgxant

ctgxant Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i found the molecular genetics topical test pretty difficult..