Kaplan USMLE vs COMLEX for books and Qbanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the Kaplan books or questions are better for the USMLE or COMLEX? I'm planning on taking both, and I am trying to decide between the WebPrep Complete (USMLE Qbank) or the COMLEX IntensePrep + Qreview (COMLEX Qbank). I am leaning toward the USMLE stuff. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know from direct experience, but I did an extensive search on the step 1 forum here a few days ago looking for similar information, and from the dozens of threads I read the impression was that the COMLEX questions were just really horrible. Nothing like the COMLEX style, and often not as thorough as the USMLE bank. Most people recommended just sticking to the USMLE question banks.

is there a difference in the book set for usmle vs comlex? or is your comment in regards to just specifically the qbank?

I was referring to the qbanks out there. I think it was Kaplan's that was mentioned many times as having an especially useless COMLEX qbank.

Not sure about the book versions. I went with FA for USMLE, and I have a step-up to COMLEX that was given to me that I may review for a different perspective and for anything it might (?) contain on OMT.