1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaplan Verbal Edge

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ucdbiochem, Aug 18, 2002.

1. ucdbiochem

ucdbiochem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

did anyone take the kaplan verbal edge? did it help at all compared the full course's VR section? thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cHocoBo 118

cHocoBo 118 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i took the verbal edge but i didnt take the full kaplan course. I took berkeley rev full course with kaplan verbal edge. Lemme just say kaplan verbal edge sucks. It is seriously not worth it at all. You pay about half the price of a full exam course and they give the full-course students more verbal stuff than they give you. Save your money. I thought it would help me since im so horrible at verbal but it didnt help much.

but of course this is just my opinion.... get some other peoples opinions before deciding.

4. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

It never made sense to have an accelerator course for any other reason except to extract more money out of students. Shouldn't all of that be included with the regular course?

You don't post much in the MCAT forum, so I assume you must have done well on the MCAT. Was the teaching at Berkeley Review all that people here rave about? The cult-like following people have about the teachers seems too strong to believe. Is it really as great as everyone says?

5. cHocoBo 118

cHocoBo 118 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually havent finished the MCATs. I took it this past august but voided my score. I'm taking it this april. As for berk rev., I liked it a lot... but then I dont have much to compare it with. I only voided my score cause I kinda fell asleep during the verbal section. (like i said above... i'm horrible with verbal).

6. medhopefully

medhopefully Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

well, i took the verbal edge it this past summer, cause i didn't want to shell out the money for the entire course (and because i was confident enough in all other sections). I used all of kaplan's practice tests (probably around 30 of them), studied their approach to VR, but i also forced myself to do a tremendous amount of boring intellectual reading on my own, for the entire summer.

However - i most of the people taking the verbal edge course were also taking the full kaplan mcat course, cause they either had ESL, or were just plain bad at reading. This course WILL NOT, i repeat, WILL NOT help you read better or understand better, but it will show you some useful tips, and useful methods for tackling VR. If your english is already crappy, or if you can't read well, this course isn't gonna help you do well, but at least you won't get a 3.

I found that the course probably helped me out for about 10-15 questions, honing my reasoning skills in deciding between two answers, and focusing my attention on certain key ideas while i was reading the passages. In the end, I boosted my score three points to a 10 on the VR :)D), for my second (and final) time writing the bloody test.

my 2 cents.

7. Lebesgue

Lebesgue Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took the full length and went from a 5 diagnostic to an 11 in August. I'd agree with not improving your reading speed or general intelligence. I would say that by doing it a lot you can build some skills so that you can anticipate what they will ask since it takes some practice to get used the type of things they think are important. It will also help figure out what works best for you, which may or may NOT be what they recommend. I thought their "not reading for content" theory was useless. I'd say though that while reading the wall street journal or something might help a little, you really need to do as many practice tests as possible to get some scores and refine your techniques... Good luck. :)

8. history _ice

history _ice Member
    10+ Year Member

Count me in as well...i just started reviewing... I have the Kaplan materials but I'm not going to take their course.

my AIM is SAMDAPOOH

-history ice