Kaplan Verbal sectional tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frankrizzo18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has everyone given up on these tests? I am about to, they are so freaking hard!! I had no idea Kaplan made their verbal tests this hard!! Notwithstanding, I am on the fifth one now and they seem to get harder!!

Members don't see this ad.

frankrizzo18 said:
Has everyone given up on these tests? I am about to, they are so freaking hard!! I had no idea Kaplan made their verbal tests this hard!! Notwithstanding, I am on the fifth one now and they seem to get harder!!

Yeah, they are very difficult. But keep at 'em 'cause they are good practice. Some of the passages and very dense (esp. philosophical ones) and the style mirrors the actual MCAT.

I scored a 12 on verbal, the kaplan verbal tests are really good practice and are just like the real verbal section (ie, INSANE). :laugh:

just keep practicing, you'll become more comfortable and time efficient with each test. :thumbup:

Thank you. The kaplan material really humbles you! I was honestly beginning to believe that verbal reasoning was too hard for me. I am getting better, but the Kaplan tests are really sticking it to me, kind of like the real MCAT verbal did this April!!!

Arsenic810 said:
I scored a 12 on verbal, the kaplan verbal tests are really good practice and are just like the real verbal section (ie, INSANE). :laugh:

just keep practicing, you'll become more comfortable and time efficient with each test. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
yea the Kaplan material is humbling. I found the verbal very daunting at first, but with more and more practice, you'll get the hang of it. I love how they have AAMC samples. What is REALLY humbling is the PS topical tests they have...does anyone else feel that way or is just me? Maybe it's b/c the PS section is my weakest section (even though my verbal score was lower).

what do u guys do to improve your verbal on how are u doing on the kaplan verbal section tests??? Percentage wise?

chemwiz14 said:
what do u guys do to improve your verbal on how are u doing on the kaplan verbal section tests??? Percentage wise?

Verbal was my lowest section last August (got a 6). This April I got a 10 after using KAPLAN verbal passages and EK 101. Like many people will say, you have to read actively. Try to get the main idea and the tone. Now the tone of a passage might be from positive or negative or it might simply be informational. But both aspects are interrelated. For example, passage talks about turtles....gives info on them and at the last paragraph talks about how they are dying off. Main idea....author loves turtles. Tone....information and the author is concerned about the state of turtles. That example was simple but you get the idea. Also, go back and see WHY you are getting the questions wrong. That way you can see if you eliminated 2 of the 4 and picked the wrong one or were you totally off the mark. It also helps to see if you had read too much into the passage and assumed something that wasn't really there (a very common mistake).

Aside from that some posters will swear by reading magazines such as Scientific America, Wall Street Journal. I tried those but that didn't work for me. I have a difficult time reading stuff that I don't want to read and also reading stuff without pictures. But it has produced great results for other people on SDN and is worth experimenting with.

Keep practicing those passages.

P.S. my KAPLAN verbal scores ranged from 9-11 and EK 101 from 9-10.

I did the first section test and it was all humanities based passages, which i have the most trouble in (time-wise especially). I don;t know if this will be a general trend, but remember most science majors have trouble in humanities as well. The science and social science are alot easier so your score should be a bit better than with all humanities passages.