kaplan verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical doctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
heyy, basically im doing kaplan tests, and im scoring 10s and 11s in the verbal section...but I feel like the kaplan verbal questions put too much emphasis on asking questions about the structure of the argument rather than the substance of the argument...so I was just wondering if people could post their kaplan verbal test scores, their aamc practice test verbal scores, and then what they got on the Real Mcat verbal section as for a good comparison..thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan verbal is crap. Only EK verbal 101 and AAMC are good.

Hey man, I know you've tried TBR's verbal and you've said you find them easier... Well, I've been working through it recently, and I actually find it to be more difficult than EK. I was scoring 10's and 11's on EK, but some of the non-diagnostic passages from TBR have destroyed me. Have I just gotten stupider?

Members don't see this ad :)
The threads are abound with posts of people dissatisfied with Kaplan's Verbal. Just wondering is this because the Verbal questions are not MCAT style OR because they are scored too easily OR a combination of both?

Hey man, I know you've tried TBR's verbal and you've said you find them easier... Well, I've been working through it recently, and I actually find it to be more difficult than EK. I was scoring 10's and 11's on EK, but some of the non-diagnostic passages from TBR have destroyed me. Have I just gotten stupider?

CO-SIGN!!!! If by non-diagnostic you mean the last five set of passages, then I am with you on that. People who feel that TBR's verbal is a walk in the park probably have not tried these last set of passages. Even Kaplan's notoriously convoluted passages are no where near the difficulty of the last 5 TBR passages

CO-SIGN!!!! If by non-diagnostic you mean the last five set of passages, then I am with you on that. People who feel that TBR's verbal is a walk in the park probably have not tried these last set of passages. Even Kaplan's notoriously convoluted passages are no where near the difficulty of the last 5 TBR passages

Perhaps we have different versions of the book, since I think they made some changes recently. I have the 2009 version, and there's 4 "non-diagnostic" passage sets. Each set has 7 passages (one of them has 8, actually), each with 7 questions. These non-diagnostic tests come before the diagnostic practice tests, of which there are 10, each having the standard 7 passage/40 question format. I haven't tried the diagnostic tests yet.

In any case, I've found the non-diagnostic tests to be pretty hard. Although they started out fairly easy (I did fine on the first 2 tests), this last set has been pretty rough for me. On one passage I got 1/7...that's never happened to me before with EK. :confused:

I don't know. At the very least TBR's passages are longer than EK's, which probably better reflects the AAMC tests.

kindof freaking out. i was doing kaplan and was getting between 12-15 on verbal without much effort. i've spent the past 2 weeks doing amcas and have gotten only one 12 and all 10s...eek and my test is in like 5 days! anyone else have a similar experience?

hey thefifteenth, i'm having the same problem! I've been scoring consistent 12's and 13's on kaplan, but my AAMC has dropped to 10's and even one 8 :( I'm sitting for the 26th exam, maybe we need to take a little break? it's worrying me as well...

hey thefifteenth, i'm having the same problem! I've been scoring consistent 12's and 13's on kaplan, but my AAMC has dropped to 10's and even one 8 :( I'm sitting for the 26th exam, maybe we need to take a little break? it's worrying me as well...

seriously i have no idea what to do! i think im getting worse somehow...i did an ek test and got a 10 still...what the heck. i hope i can just pull of at least a 10 on the real deal

how do peoples kaplan scores compare to aamc scores(practice and/or real)?

I took 6 Kaplan practice MCATs and 6 AAMC's before taking the MCAT. My Kaplan VR average was 13.3, and my AAMC average was 12.3. I got a 12 on the real VR section.

So I'd say the AAMC is more predictive.

If time is not an issue, would doing the Kaplan Verbal stuff be effective at all to my real MCAT score and does it matter if you study with EK verbal passages or Kaplan passages first?

I think if time is not an issue, doing Kaplan VR (before EK) is fine. It's extra practice that can't hurt. (Only if time is an issue just do EK, other wise I think do other prep materials before EK- save EK for last as it is most similar to AAMC in nature)