Kaplan VIDEO-surgery/pestana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ally1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I used a couple of the KAP surgery videos for the surgery shelf (pestana I think-the guy is sitting and talking throughout/no board work).

I thought he explained things really really well, but the videos did not help at all for the surgery shelf.

Would they be useful to watch for STEP 2 studying (don't remember all his points this far along) or not?

Anyone have thoughts regarding this?

Members don't see this ad.

I watched those videos for the surg shelf as well and didn't find them helpful. However, I thought they hit all of the basic surgical management questions I got on my step 2. I took if July 15th and think I should get my score tomorrow.

There were several questions on step 2 that were set up just like he had it. Patient comes into ER, vitals either do or do not respond to IV fluids, what next. etc. or, U/S vs CT vs surgery. The surgery shelf had a lot of medicine on it and that isn't really covered on pescana.

Other Q's I had were ischemic colitis after AAA surgery. PE after surgery. Pulmonary contusion. atelectasis (post op fever).

That's all I can remember. Hope that helps. I actually watched all of the rest of the kaplan videos and I thought, for the most part, they were pretty good. We'll see after tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. I'm happy you felt the same way for the shelf.

Did you watch all the kaplan videos while studying for step 2 or throuhgout the year. It looks like they could take up a lot of time!!

I watched them all in about 3 weeks. I sped them up and watch 2x. stopped and reviewed if I was taking notes or spacing out.

It was quite an investment, but I felt that, supplemented with my first aid notes I used and added to all year, and Uworld provided me with a pretty comprehensive review.

It definitely was a LOT of time watching videos :) I can let you know (maybe today) how it turned out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone who already took the USMLE know if surgery knowledge from UW Qbank and FA2CK is sufficient? Or is it worth it to read through the Kaplan/Pestana Surgery notes?

Thanks

I'm only asking about the Kaplan Step 2CK sugery notes. It appears they were put together by Dr. Pestana. Just want to know if anyone used the notes and felt it helped during the actual exam or was it overkill for the step 2ck?

Whenever people talk about Kaplan videos for step 2, they are referring to the illegal pirated material from 2001.

While i never condone the use of pirated material, the Petsana videos have extreme notoriety for being "better than goljan" when it comes to both the Shelf and the Step 2 exam. Because they are almost a decade old, it is critical that you recognize the potential faults, and use a book like First Aid or Step-Up to stay current.

Dont use Illegal Materials. If you have them legally, that **** is awesome.

How do you get the videos to play at 2x. it seems like they are not supported.

DLN, did you think it prepared you better?

PC
If you are using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER you may need to download the plugin for your corresponding media type.

WMV files play perfectly on Windows Media Player. ASF files play poorly, and then only if you have a decent plugin. There are over a dozen video media types; if you downloaded them you probably got a shabby one. Thats why you dont pirate.

ALL videos files can be played and sped up on Winamp with a free plugin. They unfortunately go to "high pitched mode" on Winamp using this plugin. On Windows Media PLayer, its just the video twice as fast.

MAC
QUICKTIME can play asf files pretty well. Im not familiar with ****tie-Macs, so youd have to go to a Mac forum and ask your question there.