Quantcast

Kaplan VR Section Tests

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + MCAT 520 Challenge™
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling

Reaction score
I am getting absolutely destroyed on these right now. I've been getting somewhere from 55%-65%. I was doing just fine on EK 101. I was getting 10s, approaching 11 on a lot of section, and I just went to Kaplan VR and I am doing very poorly. Can anyone suggest anything? Are these reliable ? Am I just not doing well at VR or are Kaplan VR awful?

RedSoxSuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting absolutely destroyed on these right now. I've been getting somewhere from 55%-65%. I was doing just fine on EK 101. I was getting 10s, approaching 11 on a lot of section, and I just went to Kaplan VR and I am doing very poorly. Can anyone suggest anything? Are these reliable ? Am I just not doing well at VR or are Kaplan VR awful?

Hey, Kaplan VR is not good. So stay away from it. Its alot easier and not as ambigous as EK or AAMC.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Acutally my Kaplan scores in general were a lot lower than my AAMC scores.
Kaplan VR focuses more on detail questions and requires you to pathetically waste time and hunt passages for details for most of those questions.

Regardless of how easy/hard it may be, you should still do them. Look at Kap FL tests as endurance builders more than anything else. Make sure you go over those tests, too.

jaiku

Reaction score

I think Kaplan verbal sections are great practice ...atleast they were for me ...I was scoring in same range 55-60...when I tried my hand on them for a week becus I was doing awfully in Verbal...My scores jumped...so the material and timed practice really helped me...I found I was much faster at retrieving info frompassage after Kaplan ....So dont worry much ...just practice and try to find out what it does to your VR SCORE

Rolling

Reaction score
I just finished a VR section test #5. I scored an 80%. I'm not extremely happy with it, but I'm definitely more happy. I hope I can keep gaining. I'll keep everyone posted.

Jack Shephard

Reaction score
I'm not actually studying for the MCAT right now since it's kinda far away, but I find VR and WS sections pretty straightforward. I've only looked at Kaplan so far.

You just have to answer the questions by looking at how the passages/prompt are written. Though that seems obvious, I always see people selecting answers with concepts that aren't even hinted at in the readings. You need to catch details and points the author is making (or would make). If you don't what's the point of close reading?

Just read through it first. And it's not a big deal if you have to look back.

I think the MCAT passages are pretty bland enough that you could completely separate the paragraphs. It's like making a grid over it. By mentally numbering them and associating a word with that number it's easy for me to recall where to find answers if I can't already knock out all of the other ones.