Kaplan vs. Princeton Review for nontraditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueflower77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for posting this question here again and again... but I am a non-traditional student...

I have been out of school for about 5 years and need a solid review for the science material (doing a post-bac is not an option). I am currently taking Kaplan's Science Edge for MCAT review, which I think covers ok the specific science concepts needed on the MCAT. I also have my textbooks from before ('06).

I think I need a class because I need structure. I would prefer great teachers, but if the books are good, I can study on my own. I've read many threats on the MCAT forum about various schedules and what works for whom. Based on my conclusion, I would probably benefit from the structure of the class (I'm just being realistic here), plus I work full time and decreasing to part time isn't an option at the moment. I plan on taking the MCAT in May of 2010 to apply next year.

I am debating between Kaplan and TPR (The Princeton Review) and I am wondering if any of you who are nontraditional students had taken either one. I'm also planning on purchasing the Berkeley Review books since I heard they are the best at material review. I've read different rumors about Kaplan's books not being thorough enough, bad rep about their verbal passages being different from AAMC by quite a bit giving people false reassurance and etc. I've also read that TPR books are more detailed than I need, but people understand the concepts better. TPR also has longer classes than Kaplan and slightly less (by 4) practice tests that are written by the company (both give you access to the 8 AAMC tests). I also read that Kaplan has subject tests and "topical" tests allowing you to test yourself on a weaker area, where as TPR does not. I also read that TPR has much better teachers than Kaplan. So I guess it's a horse-a-piece.

I am someone who studies on my own, but need a program so I know how to pace myself. But I also need a good review. So I'm looking for feedback from people who've either taken either one or taught for either one or just what you think about the two. I would appreciate it if you told me what you like and what you didn't - rather than "this sucks" or "it's great." :)

Thanks - your feedback is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i took kaplan before my first MCAT and even though I learned a lot of information, I felt like the princeton review (which i took before my 2nd mcat this past aug 21) did a much better job of teaching both the information and test taking strategies. the verbal instructors were phenomnenal, and science teachers made alot of difficult concepts easier to understand (which helped me a lot because most of the questions on the MCAT are conceptual) good luck :)

I was in the same exact boat. From experience I would say that Princeton Review was far better than Kaplan. Just by looking at the amount of class time you have in each you can see this gives PR the opportunity to go into much more detail. I hadn't seen the material for so long and when I started with Kaplan it seemed to be a waste of money. They summarize and really focus on HIGH yield topics and test taking strategies. The PR devotes each class to a different topic and they really break it down.

I messed up because I should have either not worked or worked very few hours. You are in class sometimes 5 days a week for 3 hours. Then there is an insane(but good) amount of homework to do. Since that isn't an option I suggest you take the class early to help drill the core concepts in. Leave the last months to review, practice and test yourself. The best way to test yourself is to try to teach the concepts to someone that doesn't have a strong science background. If they get what you are talking about then you're set.

Since you are studyin over such a huge amount of time it also imperative that you have a set of review notes that can be reviewed either everyday or every other couple of days. As you will see the material adds up rather quickly and it is easy to forget certain things. So as you are going through the content material have an extra set of condensed notes.

If you are going to spend the money on a class make sure you get every penny out of it. Go to every class although I think verbal is a bit waste of time. The only thing that got my verbal from a 4 to the double digits was reading more often. Also participate and that really helps the info stick.

Make sure you find a course that is spread out as much as possible so you can get as much reading and homework done. You can always leave a good amount for practice for after you finish the course. Good luck and feel free to PM me.