zogoto

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I know there are tons of threads on PR vs. Kaplan. I was wondering if anyone could comment specifically on the online materials. I've heard Kaplan's are amazing. Is that to say PR's are not good? And besides online materials, just materials in general, such as problems and stuff, do both give similar materials to the actual MCAT, and which one has better ones (books, etc.)?

I'm trying to decide which course to take and leaning PR right now because the timing for the course is more convenient (starts a month earlier, so I can take 2 weeks off after the course to study and still have 3 weeks to go home at the end of the summer).

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
An Igloo
Status
Medical Student
I know there are tons of threads on PR vs. Kaplan. I was wondering if anyone could comment specifically on the online materials. I've heard Kaplan's are amazing. Is that to say PR's are not good? And besides online materials, just materials in general, such as problems and stuff, do both give similar materials to the actual MCAT, and which one has better ones (books, etc.)?

I'm trying to decide which course to take and leaning PR right now because the timing for the course is more convenient (starts a month earlier, so I can take 2 weeks off after the course to study and still have 3 weeks to go home at the end of the summer).
I think that the sectional and topical tests is where Kaplan has the advantage over TPR. Unless they've cleaned it up in the past few months the Qbank isn't all that good. The discrete problems are pretty awesome but some of the passages are just too hard, and therefore non-conducive for doing well on the MCAT. I think that if you are really gunning to study hard and don't mind spending the extra money, the Qbank would still be worth it. Just don't depend on it.
I haven't used TPRs online materials for the current year.

OP
Z

zogoto

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
You mean do TPR and then get the Kaplan Qbank?

OP
Z

zogoto

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that if you are really gunning to study hard and don't mind spending the extra money, the Qbank would still be worth it. Just don't depend on it.
What do you mean by that then, sorry?

I've heard that TPR classes go into too much depth, but how much is too much. Usually in all my classes at school, I like going into a little overkill. Obviously it would be too much overkill to memorize which trancription and elongation factors are involved in transcription when studying for intro bio, but I made sure I understood the reasons why polymerases only polymerize the 5'-3' direction, etc. when I was learning .

So given that I like a little overkill, is TPR good? Or is the overkill like way overkill and not worth it?

JA Prufrock

Serenity Now!
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
What do you mean by that then, sorry?

I've heard that TPR classes go into too much depth, but how much is too much. Usually in all my classes at school, I like going into a little overkill. Obviously it would be too much overkill to memorize which trancription and elongation factors are involved in transcription when studying for intro bio, but I made sure I understood the reasons why polymerases only polymerize the 5'-3' direction, etc. when I was learning .

So given that I like a little overkill, is TPR good? Or is the overkill like way overkill and not worth it?
I don't know much about the online materials, but TPR's practice work books seem to be well-received around here. Most seem to regard both the science workbook and the verbal workbook as good practice sets. I've heard less about Kaplan's workbooks, and from what I have heard about their verbal, it isn't very good. I guess the bonus about Kaplan's online material is they give you 11 FL tests and they give you all the AAMC exams. I don't know how many PR gives you.

Have you considered just buying the books and studying on your own? This would make your schedule a little more flexible, and you wouldn't have to decide between the two.

OP
Z

zogoto

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
PR gives you 9 FLs. I'm pretty sure I want to study with a class. I don't mind putting the money down since it's just a drop in the bucket, so they say, in comparison to med school, and my schedule this summer is 100% flexible.

Does anyone know how the PR FLs are? Do they mimic the actual MCAT (Kaplan's I know does)? Also, can anyone weigh in on whether the PR workbooks are better to have than the Kaplan online resources?