Kaplan vs Princeton Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMocha

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student contemplating taking the MCAT plunge after being out of school for 3 years.

Has anyone taken the prep classes for Kaplan or Princeton review? What did you think about the teachers? their methodology? curriculum? Did any particular section stand out over the other?

I appreciate your responses. Classes start in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DocMocha:
•I am a non-traditional student contemplating taking the MCAT plunge after being out of school for 3 years.

Has anyone taken the prep classes for Kaplan or Princeton review? What did you think about the teachers? their methodology? curriculum? Did any particular section stand out over the other?

I appreciate your responses. Classes start in January.•••

I took the Princeton review... I was told that it was truly awesome yadda yadda yadda. They are supposed to teach you test-taking skills that will hopefully raise your score. I got nothing out of the verbal reasoning class or the biology/organic class (taught by the same guy), but I did get a lot out of the physics/chemistry class (taught by someone else). I feel that these reviews can't teach you much. I think I would have been better off just skipping the class work and digging right in with the tests and review books. The review books for the Princeton Review were excellent, however. What really prepared me for the MCAT was doing every single problem in their review books...

I wasn't too thrilled w/ Princeton review.
My gf took both, and she thought Kaplan had much better resources and prepared you better.
Also, when you get to boards, Kaplan's prep rules!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only 3 years? lol - I hadn't taken basic sciences (and didn't really learn it then!) for almost 10 years. I took Kaplan while a friend took Princeton Review. I think a lot comes down to your instructors, but I personally like the Kaplan materials and arrangement better. I really believe in what Kaplan teaches (and now teach for them). Feel free to email/private message with any questions!

Good luck

I have also taken both Kaplan and TPR. I prefered TPR b/c I thought their materials were better. I loved it so much that I am now teaching the verbal section for them.