kaplan VS Princeton Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

britboy7

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some input re Kaplan and Princeton review prep for the MCAT. Any experience, good or bad, I'd love to know!!!!!!!

Thanks

Bryannull

Members don't see this ad.

I took TPR (The Princeton Review) last Spring. It was weak in VR and Writing Sample sections. Actually, non-existent in the Writing Sample other than info in the book.

I honestly think that it is more instructor dependent than company dependent. The companies' approaches are about equal. I think it all comes down to what your particular instructors are like.

Decide based on which offers the best schedule for you and you will have made the best decision. Price is almost exactly the same.

Good luck.

I just finished a Kaplan course. My diagnostic VR score was 5 and I scored as high as a 9 on the practice tests which I hear are a little harder. Their study materials and practice exams are very good. As far as the instructors go, I was subjected to a previous MCAT taker. He was alright but what made the course worth it was the materials. Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Britboy7

I am doing Kaplan and I know of others doing Princeton Review (Hyperlearning). The difference between the two is approach.... Kaplan seems more for self-directed people who like to study when they choose. TPR is reportedly more structured and appeals more to people need a little kick in the booty to get them going. Both are good prep courses, but the key is utilize the materials, study diligently and practice taking tests.

Best regards

I took Kaplan, their customer service was awful where I took it, they moved their classroom location to a different site that they had advertised because it was more convenient for the teacher but it left people like me without cars scrounging for rides. Their practice tests were pretty good, their books were not that comprehensive though. I actually borrowed a princeton review book and studied from that, even though that probably had too much information, I prefered TPR's books. Good luck deciding, you don't have to take a course to do well but it helps.

Try both and stick with what works best for you. I used textbooks, TPR, and Kaplan materials. Your studying should be fairly thorough so use all the materials you can get your hands on.

Together

I used TPR when I took the MCAT. I am one of those types of people that need scheduled lectures and reading/problem assignments. I had a lot of friends take both and Kaplan is more material and more self-motivated. Like one of the posters said, it depends on your study habits and how you approach things. I took TPR for GRE and SAT also and they hooked me up. I got a 6,6,7 on their practice MCAT and I ended up with a 10,10,10 on the real one. This was about 4 years ago so I don't know if things have changed since then. Then again, I was hungover after a good night of drinking when I took that practice MCAT.

I took Kaplan this past winter/spring and I loved it (but I have nothing else to compare it to). Their customer service had some issues, but when I complained they were more than accommodating. The five practice tests (in "test-like" settings) really helped as did the resources that they had at their center. I would totally recommend this. I raised my total MCAT score 8 points (from 8,8,8,N to VR10, PS10, BS12, Q). But as mentioned above, it is self-motivating- you put in what you get out. If you can motivate to study a lot on your own, this course is great. Good luck! :)

I took Princeton Review.

I agree with an above poster...it comes down to your individual instructor.

I took the class once then signed up for it again (at a discounted rate) just incase I was going to take the MCAT again.

The quality of instructors varied greatly.

Overall, I liked TPR. I felt well prepared.

Good luck.