Kaplan vs. Real MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

betternot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how the scores from Kaplan practice tests compare to the real MCAT scores. Are the Kaplan full practice tests harder than the real MCAT? I kind of hope they are...

I'll appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

betternot said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how the scores from Kaplan practice tests compare to the real MCAT scores. Are the Kaplan full practice tests harder than the real MCAT? I kind of hope they are...

You'd probably have better luck posting this in the MCAT forum, but from what I've heard, I believe that Kaplan tests (especially the PS section) tends to be harder than the actual test.

Good luck.

betternot said:

I think you'll find threads on this in the MCAT forum, but I'll shoot anyways... The Kaplan tests tend to get easier as you go on, so the last couple tests should give you a fairly decent idea of what you'll get on the real one (I really think that they engineer that first test to give you an incredibly low score so they never have to refund money with the higher score guarantee :p )

In my experience, the Kaplan physical sciences section was way harder than the real one, but the other sections were about the same or perhaps easier than the real thing...

However, you're going to hear anecdotal evidence both ways- of people who were getting in the mid-30s on the practices but bombed the real one and vice versa... Try not to focus on what you're going to get... Do your best and you may end up doing better than you expect!

betternot said:

I think it depends on the person and how you use those tests. Lots of people take the exams and don't review their answers thoroughly when they get things wrong so they don't improve much.

I did the opposite, and I did one point better on my real one than my max on a practice... I probably did about 3 points better than the avg of my final 3 practice tests.

I did take the free one through the aamc website. While the breakdown was slightly off, I got exactly that score on the real one (which was my highest practice test score).

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets see, I had gotten a 30, and then a 28 and another 28 for my final three Kaplan practices, but ended up getting a 32 on the actual MCAT. I basically took my highest section scores from a practice and finally put them together for the actual thing.

Best of luck to ya.

Yay! Anecdotal evidence (for what it's worth):
Last few Kaplan tests (self-administered, I didn't take the class) had me in the mid-to high-twenties.
Test day? 32
Kaplan's "diagnostic test" they give for free to sophomores to encourage them to take the class? I don't remember exactly, but even if I did I'd be embarassed to say (I recall something like a 4 on biological sciences)

The Kaplan tests that I had were all more difficult than the actual MCAT. I went from a high of 28 (or 29) to a 31 on the actual. My friends that took the class felt the same, though they thought that the actual verbal section was more difficult (scores did not reflect this though).

i also hope kaplan is harder.. ive been doing around 30 with kaplan and around 33-34 with aamc tests (7-8). kaplan seems alot more calculation based. even though they try to compensate for this discrepency with the curve, in the end i feel like the kaplan tests are a whole different level than aamc's...

while I dont doubt that the kaplan is harder, how do the scales reflect the actual scales? I pulled a 10 on Fl3 in PS with less than 60% correct. I feel like there's no way I'd pull this off on the real one.

maestro1625 said:
I pulled a 10 on Fl3 in PS with less than 60% correct. I feel like there's no way I'd pull this off on the real one.

You'd get more correct on the real one.