Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bambi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the set of 7 Kaplan books but they are a couple of years old, will that be ok? If I get the Kaplan video lectures will it matter that I don't have the latest books? Are the lectures worth it or will the books be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

personally havnt used them, but most of my class did. we had phenomenal scores this yr, from some people who solely relied on kaplan. im sure there isnt much content change from a couple yrs back, but there may be some additions of explanations and pics in the newer editions. im a fan of getting the latest edition of something that I am banking on; for a secondary source, i go cheap, but thats me...

I had books that were from '01-'02 and compared them with my friend's who took the course this year and a lot of the books were nearly identical such as the anatomy/neuroanatomy, pathology, behavioral science, and physio. Micro was a little different format and the immuno section was substantially larger but the immuno on the boards didn't require any super indepth knowledge (atleast my q's didnt), and the pharm book was a little different too but I don't think it would be worth your while to spend that kind of money buying all new books...especially if you have access to the lectures online. I used Kaplan as my foundation and mainly used goljan path and FA as my other resources and broke 260 so I guess the newest editions weren't all that necessary!

I had books that were from '01-'02 and compared them with my friend's who took the course this year and a lot of the books were nearly identical such as the anatomy/neuroanatomy, pathology, behavioral science, and physio. Micro was a little different format and the immuno section was substantially larger but the immuno on the boards didn't require any super indepth knowledge (atleast my q's didnt), and the pharm book was a little different too but I don't think it would be worth your while to spend that kind of money buying all new books...especially if you have access to the lectures online. I used Kaplan as my foundation and mainly used goljan path and FA as my other resources and broke 260 so I guess the newest editions weren't all that necessary!

Thanks for that. I was planning on using Kaplan, FA and Goljan path too! I guess I wont bother with the newer books then, if the imm is the only one that has more info there definitely isn't any point, I have a degree in it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that. I was planning on using Kaplan, FA and Goljan path too! I guess I wont bother with the newer books then, if the imm is the only one that has more info there definitely isn't any point, I have a degree in it!

My advice is to use only the books unless you are really struggling to understand the material. The books go into plenty of detail and I think the videos take too long to go through.

My advice is to use only the books unless you are really struggling to understand the material. The books go into plenty of detail and I think the videos take too long to go through.

I think I'm more likely to pay attention to the videos, I will get bored just reading the books.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kaplan Lecture Notes vs the Home Study books? I already have some old copies of the lecture notes, but don't plan on watching the videos b/c I know that I won't pay attention. Will the lecture notes still suffice for a read through or would I be better off with the home study books, which were designed to be used without the lectures?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Kaplan Lecture Notes vs the Home Study books? I already have some old copies of the lecture notes, but don't plan on watching the videos b/c I know that I won't pay attention. Will the lecture notes still suffice for a read through or would I be better off with the home study books, which were designed to be used without the lectures?

I think some people who have seen both say they are essentially the same only organized differently because of the subject vs. organ approach. I can say that I used a few of the lecture notes books to study (neuroanatomy, biochem, physio) and I did not have any problems at all. I thought those 3 books were some of the best written sources I used to study for step 1. So don't worry if you don't have the videos, all the info you need is in the book.