Kaplan's MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limit

Molesting my inner-child
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does Kaplan work? I notice in their schedule that the last 4 sessions are all full-day exams... How can that be helpful? Doesn't it just tire you out? Also, are those exam AAMC? If so, what if I studied those alone in the past...

Another question, I took Kaplan once for SAT but was quite disappointed... They grouped us by who did bad on diag's and I didn't take the diag too seriously so I had a very slow guy taking it so much slower than the other classes I almost fell asleep in those classes... I dont know what to do? Is Kaplan actually better in the MCAT prep?

I took the april mcat cold with 2 days studying (had other exams, etc... ran out of time) and got 24 (7V,8P,9B,L) so I'm kind of desperate for a good course.

Also, anyone know anything about Kaplan's Verbal Edge? For half the price of the full course they focus entirely on the verbal and perhaps I can do the sciences alone and just use the skills from solving verbal to carryover to the rest?

Thanks in advance for any replies or comments.

Members don't see this ad.

While extremly unwise :wink: , I'd say a 24 cold gives you an excellent chance at a stellar score if you actually sit through a course!!

Kaplan is a bit better than PR (IMHO), but either will give you the necessary materials (many many books) and the impetus/schedule to allow you to study enough. . . :)

If this helps:

I took the Kaplan diagnosic cold (not the same as a real MCAT I realize, but maybe somewhat indicative.) After taking the Kaplan course I stayed the same in verbal, went up 2 in BS and went up 3 in PS.

By the way - the practice exams were the best part. Studying and preparation are good, but I saw the exams as endurance training for the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate your comments and its very encouraging to me, keep them coming.

Quick question for now, how is the course run? The first day is diagnostic exam just cold right there boom for 6 hours? How many diagnostics thereafter? Any info at all on the session sequence (I can't seem to find this info on their site).

Thanks again

There are no diagnosics after the first session, but you do take 5 full-length exams as the course progresses (the last 4 on the 4 saturdays before the real MCAT). There are other full-lengths that you can take as well, but they aren't scheduled in class time.

As far as session sequence goes... you have 3 classes each of physics, gen chem, organic, and bio, and 2 classes of verbal (comes between the chem and organic classes). Each class lasts 3 hours.

the diagnostic isn't a full test, but its a mean runt of an mcat. my mcat teacher got a 28 on it and then a 42-44 (psych major, smart kid, worked hard).

the last 4 exams aren't back to back (day after day), but are spaced out reasonably i think. for me, it sounds stupid, but i would fall asleep during the bio section every single test (the writing section put me out cold). i just wasn't used to waking up at 8 or whatever (spoilt with college schedualing), so i woke up at 7 everyday for two weeks before the test to get used to it. the point of that was to say that their simulated practices are handy. i did well, but i worked quite a bit, finished almost all their materials. the classes, i still insist, are useless or close to it (maybe if you get better teachers its a diff story). goodluck anyway,
-jot