Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Kaplin on-line or in-class

Discussion in 'Kaplan MCAT Forum (Sponsored)' started by jrb4087, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jrb4087

Pre-Medical
    What is better the kaplan on-line or in-class? Does it really matter which one i take??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Decicco

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Online is cheaper. Cheaper=better.

4. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Really depends on you. Do you learn better in a class or by yourself?

Can you make yourself study or do you need a class to motivate you?

The main thing with Kaplan is getting the materials. The class is person specific.

5. Diane Lane

2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The best thing about Kaplan are the books. You can get them on EBay or from someone you know that took the course before.
    Save your money and don't waste your time beyond getting the books. The only thing else that Kaplan offers are smaple test, which frankly, no one I have ever known, had enough free time to take advantage of anyway.

6. 987

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I took Kaplan and I agree the books are the best thing. I took the course twice because my instrucor was horrible...the second time it was just as bad....i would take it online...using all the materials my score went up 10 points! Good Luck!

7. FuturaDocta

FuturaDocta Pop_Princess_MD
    2+ Year Member

[​IMG]

NICE!!!!:thumbup:

8. FuturaDocta

FuturaDocta Pop_Princess_MD
    2+ Year Member

[​IMG]

This is a great thread. I was just thinking about taking the course. But, I figured I should just keep studying the book. The new version is in color too and has lots of great diagrams and pictures. Very helpful. Also, the book has key concepts and notes on the side of the page to help you absorbs the massive amount of material. But, if you do well in those subjects anyway, it should recall in your brain a bit easier. Time to fuse back my MCAT synapses!

9. mrfunnyman

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Online. Youll save money.
    Unless you slack off when it comes to studying, the instructors in class will waste your time.
    Best thing to do is just get the study material and study on your own.

10. Shawnpremed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I haven't taken either Kaplan nor PR prep courses yet. Are the classroom courses, especially for Kaplan really that useless?

11. crazydiamond

crazydiamond Non-trad with 2 kids
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I really like my Kaplan classroom course. First off, it keeps me motivated and on schedule. Secondly, the teachers are really great, full of enthusiasm and knowledge. I've been out of school for a long time and I find that being in the classroom has really allowed me to kick it up a notch, where my independent online-only studying was falling by the wayside.

12. iclu87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yeah I totally agree with the other posts. Money should be a consideration, along with your study habits.

However, having a great instructor really made a difference for me. I remember my instructor helped to guide me through what's more important and what's not and how concepts were tested on the MCAT. He gave me mneumonics I would never think of.

So if you decide to do classroom, make sure you do your research about the instructor. You are paying more, and you don't want a sucky teacher. I didn't do my research, and my first instructor was awful. Read from the book, and didn't have anything to add. Plow through and get out. Yeah in that case, you're better off with just the online course.

13. Dr3amz

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would say classroom. It is somewhat helpful to discuss answer choices w/ fellow students
    Also, if money is the issue look for their deals.. esp when they have $100/$200 off promos...also, if u're in any honor societies/ other organizations, check to see if they have discounts... I took a classroom course and ended up using one of my discounts of about $100 and then I called Kaplan to see if I could also use their promo ($200 at that time) and they agreed and refunded $200. So I actually only ended up paying only 1599 for a classroom course!

14. Jwils143

Pre-Medical
    I am currently in the Kaplan classroom course and I find the online material and the books the most helpful out of everything. I am a fulltime student so it just adds to the stress and its another 6 hours of classes a week. If you are not in school I think that the classroom would be the best choice but if you are, I would go online.

15. CardioPlus

CardioPlus PGY-2
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am currently enrolled in the online class. My school gave us a 15% discount towards the online course, so it ended up costing 1490. I ultimately chose the online class because I can do the online lectures/classes whenever I want. Being in school, I did not need the stress of having to go to and sit in a class every Mon/Wed, etc (especially since if I had a test in History or something the next day I wouldn't have done the hw for Kaplan or payed attention anyways! lol). I've also talked to a lot of upperclassmen that complained about having a bad instructor, so I'd def recommend seeing who your instructor is first if you go the classroom route.

16. dualityim

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    After wasting my money on a Kaplan class, I can tell you that the actual class is either hit or miss. Kaplan tends to hire basically anyone that can read out of an instructor's manual and pretend to know what he/she's talking about. That isn't to say there aren't good instructors, but I would try to audit or sample the class before actually taking it.
    The online stuff is pretty thorough though.