Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

KapTest #1 - advice!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BigRedStress, Feb 13, 2002.

1. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black

So my first full length kaplan test is this saturday. Whats the best way to prepare? I have only gotten through finishing all the review notes for bio and orgo and right now im reviewing the flashcards, they're real helpful. I'm thinking about basically reviewing all the flashcards for the sciences tomorrow and firday and reviewing my stratgy for verbal and doing some passages. Any other suggestions? I'm kinda nervous. especially about verbal... and bio since I've just finished all the review notes for it and I think I'm strong in it (though I got a 9 on the diagnostic) I want 11 or more. yikes! advice!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    my advice is to tell you that my kaplan teacher said people go down on the first test from their diagnostic. The reason for this may be that you're thinking about new material/study methods and that can slow you down. So don't worry about this test, just do your best--it's not real :)

I went from a 15 to a 22 or 24 on the first test. I did much better on the real thing, so don't worry--your score will continue to rise throughout this process, and getting such a high score on the diagnostic is excellent. Good luck :D

and go to bed early!

4. Chorboke

Chorboke Member

Hey don't sweat the Kaplan tests. As someone who has taken the course I can tell you that they are nothing like the real thing. If you have difficulty solving chemistry and physics problems then they will help you practice. The best thing to do is go to there center and take the old AAMC released tests. Those will also give you a better idea where you stand. You will do worse on the Kaplan test then those tests, but the AAMC tests are more like the real thing, so you will be better prepared. Take them all.

5. El Jefe

El Jefe The Jefe

Reading and memorizing the stuff in the review books won't prepare you 1/10th as well as just doing every practice item, topical test, etc. that they have. And don't worry about the first practice test so much; if you're this stressed already, I'd hate to see you come April.

6. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black

Thanks guys.... Tomorrow isthe big day, I've pretty much memorized all the orgo and bio notes, those flashcards are real comprehensive and really oggd. I think they'll help me since the kaplan center is closed today. So what other things do you guys advise for the night before my first exam? Should I do a practice verbal section or science section or something? Or should I jsut continue to review all the science concepts and the verbal strategy I have created? Man, the verbal is a bitch. I had gotten a 5 on the diagnostic and lately I've been pulling 8s. A 9 on this exam would be perfect. How many do you think I can get wrong to get a score around there? I've been traditionally getting around 18-20 wrong, which is about anbased on al lthe different curves I've seen for verbal.

7. abefroman

abefroman Senior Member

I agree with most of the comments. This is only the first test. Relax and see how you do. Don't stress it. Cramming the night before is not going to change your score much. I suggest you spend a lot of time going over the Kaplan answer key after the test to see where you went wrong. I disagree with the guy who says to study the AAMC tests. They're too easy. If you practice Kaplan tests and work hard understanding the logic of the answer keys you're score will go up. I think I went from a 27 on the diagnostic to a 29 on the 1st practice test to a 37 on the real thing.

8. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    i got my first full length tommorow morning as well and was thinking the same thing ...