Kasturba / Mannipal Academy No Longer recognized by ECFMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Manipal is being considered for de-recognition because the guy in the Indian Government who is in charge of this stuff wants a bribe from Manipal that Manipal doesn't want to pay.

This happens a lot, as there is a lot of tension because Manipal absolutely refuses to pay and stuff like that, but the Medical Council of India is never able to prove that Manipal is incompetent in any way, and thus it will always be recognized. There really is no way the govt can de-recognize Manipal with all the facilities it has and its very high standing among medical colleges.

I have gotten this info from both people at Manipal and other independent sources (some pretty high) working in the government that I have access to through people I know

Members don't see this ad.

I guess whether or not it will be derecognised by mci, there are still hundres, if not thousands applying to kmc. I applied under nri/international student quota, chances kmc will have interest in me is pretty low. Anyway, thank you so much for the huge information, it gives assurance to me as well as others applying to kmc.. THANKS!

Man seriously, does anyone have any solid information on the whole issue with KMC manipal/mangalore still being de recognized by MCI... Are we still allowed to write the USMLE with out running into problems when it comes to applying for residency in the US? I mean by now, people in the US (residency directors) should have heard about the issue... If it was me as a director of a residency program, i certainly would question the merit of the quality of education being provided by a "de recognized" medical school in India regardless of its history of being a top school in India.

I wonder if the people out there know that however well qualified and experienced staff that KMC has they are only good in their respective fields if it meant slaving over research data or doing some busy work... NOT 1 professor in KMC mangalore is qualified as a teacher... which is probably why in my experience here I have only seen 3 profs that can actually TEACH students... The rest all are on some crazy power trip with no ability to teach and they DEMAND respect because of that? HMMMMM.....:confused::eek:

please update this threat... someone... anyone with any current information on this issue!

Well, I believe that the recognition of KMC by other medical councils is independent of MCI, though I must admit it's weird to see a school not recognised in its own country but recognised in every other places. Well, Singapore does not recognised KMC as well. But in most cases, medical councils are independent from each other, so if KMC's being recognised, let's just hope it stays on.

Anyone is eligilble for USMLE so as long the applicant comes from a school that is not-too-bad. But do take note that applicants may or may not be subjected to quotas or under working permit and other issues involved. By then it all depends pretty much on whether the individual is good enough to break into the US.

Anyone going for KMC for 2008? My offer's way long expired and I still haven't pay the fees. I think I can't make it to study med. The fees are more than enough to reduce anyone with silver spoons to a pauper. Good luck all future docs! :)