Katzung's pharmacology - eighth or ninth edition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purifyer

Dr. Funk
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether to buy the eighth edition at a cheaper price or get the ninth.

I'm in holiday in China at the moment and I can buy a copy of the 8th edition for ~150-200 chinese dollars (~$25-30 US)

On looking on the internet though it seems Katzung just released the ninth edition. Usually I would just buy the slightly older edition at half price - but;

- The paper in China is crappy and thin
- Pharm is a field that evolves quite quickly - the last edition of Katzung was published in 2001.
- Is it worth the added baggage (for travel)

So, what's the verdict guys? Has anyone had experience with the ninth edition?

Members don't see this ad.

Buy the Katzung Review Book...much better

The USMLE is always a year or two behind, so even the most rapidly changing field won't be represented with questions that are totally up to date. Good luck.

The difference in editions is not likely to be significant.

As noted, if you're taking the USMLEs, they will always be a couple of years behind so the different editions won't make a difference.

Textbooks are always a couple of years behind current clinical practice as well.

If the crappy thin paper doesn't bother you too much and the cost difference is substantial then get the older edition.