Kcom 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms DO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted, and I'm heading to Kirksville next Fall!!

What do I do now??

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!

What to do? Relax, Relax, Relax.

Don't buy books, stethoscopes or anything. Just relax and be secure you know where you are going.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Sweaty Paul MS-III
KCOM

I got accepted to KCOM last week and I am 99% sure that's where I'll be attending med school next Aug. What day did you interview there? I love KCOM

cutty:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats and relax!!!

KCOM 2003

Congrats, S42! I was rooting for you!

Congrats you two!!! This is an awesome place to be. When hubby got his acceptance last year, we pulled out from other schools and couldn't be happier with deciding to come here.

Its a small town, but because of it, people are very friendly and the students honestly help each other out and have fun together. Its a great atmosphere for learning and enjoying life.

If either of you have spouses/significant others, make sure you let the admissions office have their info. They will send them as much (maybe more) info about Kirksville and med school and give them a way to get in contact with others of your class. KCOM has the biggest non-student groups of all DO schools and probably just about all MD schools too.

If you have any questions.....shoot away.

With smiles and congrats....
Wifty.....spouse who knows too much

Thanks for the support!!!

I am so excited about starting school! I will spend the next couple of weeks relaxing for the holidays. So what will happen between now and next fall? Not to be too uptight, but just curious.

Also - who else has been accepted? Do tell!

Congrats!!!! :clap:

I had the same question when I first got my acceptance phone call early this year. What's next?! Well, the admission will keep on mailing you information (loan application, local info, student suggestion etc.) you need. As other people suggested, don't buy anything before the school starts. 2nd year students usually will sale their books for cheaper price and you will receive a survival guide from our class (2006) to help you get in the groove. If you are consider to apply any form of scholarship either from KCOM or miliatery or other resources, it's perfect time for you to start the paper work after the Xmas.
As for now, if I were you, I would just relax and have as much fun as possible before the school starts. If you really want to study ahead (I won't recommend though ), you can look into biochem (any biochem textbook will work) or histology or anatomy (starting with lower extremty).
Another thing you might have in mind is housing. It's recommended if you can visit the place at K'ville before you put in your deposit.

Keep posting your question, I am sure people at KCOM will more than happy to give you advice and help you need.

Congrats again.......:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats on your acceptance!

KCOM is a great place. You will be getting loads of stuff from the school and different organizations. Skim through it and that's it. Don't study (you'll do that too much while you're here).

When you start looking for housing, bust into the KCOM 2005 room and ask us about places to live. We are all happy to help!

nicole

Congratulations 2007 KCOMers!

I am in the 2006 class. Take the advice of the previous posters and don't do anything. The awesome admissions staff and other KCOM departments will send you PLENTY of info in the future (you'll get all kinds of informational packets starting in the spring)...everything you will need prior to getting here and then some. So don't fret...just sit back and relax because the ride will speed up once you get here and you will be looking back on these days wondering what you did with all of your time, believe me...

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have...

I really agree with that last poster. (And all the ones before). You have like 8 months before school starts...and you give your life back over to education. For now, try to do all those things you wish you had time for but never did.
Like you I was accepted fairly early in the game and all I wanted was for the time to pass as quickly as possible so that next fall would get here quick. Now that I don't have time to do anything else, I really wish I would have utilized all that time to travel, visit my family and friends, and do a few more crazy things. Believe me, the fun memories you make over the next few months can really be a helpful source of sanity once you get immersed here.
So,...channel all your excitement into doing fun and exciting things over the next spring and summer!!! Congratulations!

I totally agree with my fellow KCOM'ers. Relax and chill too. The more cool stuff you can do between now and when classes start, the less it will hurt when you start getting "bent over" every day. Of course...you begin to like that after a while anyhow. Either that or things just get numb down there. Anyhow...enough non-sense talk. Congratulations on being accepted to KCOM. You really will like the community and the challenge here.

got the KCOM interview invite yesterday! any advice is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by NKMU
got the KCOM interview invite yesterday! any advice is appreciated...

Have a reason or two why you want to be a DO. Be yourself and relax. They'll see through you, otherwise. Check out the "interview feedback" portion of studentdoctor.net. I think you'll see that KCOM interviews are generally laid-back as long as you are.

I agree with rbassdo. Relax (as much as possible) and be yourself...KCOM is big on that. They already have your numbers and stuff on paper and they invited you because they want to know more. My KCOM interview day was the best/most relaxed that I had, by far. So I encourage to enjoy it and get a feel for the school and community (as cheesy as that sounds). Also, in case you haven't already noticed, the admissions staff rocks, so talk to them too, inbetween stuff. I also encourage you to come with questions because you will be repeatedly asked if you have any. They want you to learn about KCOM just as much as they want to learn about you. My interviews were both conversational, not very structured or drill-type.

hope this helps and best of luck!

Lets start a list of names and locations so we can begin getting to know eachother.

I'm Shaun Brown from St. Louis. I have gotten to know K'ville a little bit because I have some friends and relatives at Truman state and have visited frequently. I have been accepted to some other schools but I can't get over the fact that everyone I talked to says that KCOM is the best. I even had a couple of applicants ask me where I have interview, while I was at another osteopathic school interviewing, and when I told them I got into KCOM the actually said "Wow". Anyways I love KCOM and look forward to meeting all of you next fall.:p

bump, we can't be on the second page already.:p :clap:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I am damned happy to learn of y'all's coming to KCOM! It is an excellent program, although pretty intensive, but will be worth your efforts in the long run. On a more selfish note, the closer you guys get to starting means the closer I am being done!!!!!! Come on 7 June 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!

To echo the folks above -- if you're in and have chosen KCOM, or anywhere else for that matter, DO NOTHING!!! Sit back a wallow in the sweet success that you're in medical school. DO NOT study, buy books, equipment or anything else. Expend your resources enjoying the things you enjoy doing: travel, hjike, hunt, fish, backpack, visit friends & relatives -- do anything fun and avoid anythind that even remotely appears to be work or work-related. You will quickly leanr that med school is so intensive and requires so much time that you will not be able to many of these things for a good while and even then in limited quantity. So, take this break time to stock up on the fun & frolic!

Again, congratulations!!

Hey guys,

I was wondering when everyone was going to start looking for a place to live in the ville. I know they send us a list in april of available housing but I wanted to start a little early. I know that there are a couple of real estate companies that own apartment complexes, if thats what your looking for. However, I'm trying to find a house which I'm begining to realize is a little more difficult. If anyone has some info I would really appreciate it.

cutty:p :p :p

Very likely that I will have a unit available to rent in the Woodwinds complex. My current renter is about to be a third-year and I figure he'll be moving out at the end of his second-year. So, if you're interested in a 2BR/2full bath apartment with about 1000 sq ft in the Woodwinds...drop me an e-mail.

For home seekers -

Do not rent a place you have not seen! Also, be careful going outside city limits. We had 2 friends get sacked with bad deals when they tried to save money outside of the city of KV. When they looked for legal help, there was nothing.

Around the school, there are many houses for rent for great prices. I would shy away from real-estate companies. Instead, the KCOM admissions office has a list of renters and their properties. Go out there, look at the list, make an appointment to see them, and then choose one. We did that, and found the coolest old home with central air, gas heat, 3 bedrooms, fenced-in yard, quiet neighborhood, large kitchen, washer & dryer, $400. It is worth the trip out there to find a place.

Everywhere in the city is close to school, which is nice for meeting in the anatomy lab for review sessions with your lab group, or setting up a study group for an exam. If you live north of Illinois St. (a major E-W street) you will be away from most of the Truman State University students. If you are a person who likes it quiet after 10:00pm, this is what you want. If you are looking to have a good time each night with college co-eds, stay to the south of Illinois.

Finally, Baltimore is the ambulance/police/fire corridor. For some strange reason, everynight at about 2:30am an emergency vehicle goes screaming down the street, as if going to a 4-alarm fire. It got old, especially when sleeping with a window open. I suggest finding a place a few blocks east or west of baltimore.

The summers are a beast! If you can swing it, do not settle for a window A/C unit. You will have a cold front room, with hot bedrooms, and a huge Elec bill. Central air is the only way to survive 103F heat, with 95% humitity.

Finally, the financial aid office will send you a paper about buying a trailer in a trailer park vs. paying rent each month for 2 years. If you want all of your personal belongings that are not chained to your belt stolen, and your house lifted away in some major thunderstorm/tornado, this is not a bad idea. I suggest a house with a basement.

Good luck, and have fun. Go out there to find a place. It is worth the trip. It is tough not to be depressed if you hate the place you have to go to after a long day of school.

Originally posted by dobonedoc
If you live north of Illinois St. (a major E-W street) you will be away from most of the Truman State University students. If you are a person who likes it quiet after 10:00pm, this is what you want. If you are looking to have a good time each night with college co-eds, stay to the south of Illinois.

dobonedoc is totally correct except for one little thing - it's kind of comical. I live on the "swinging" South-siiiiiieeeede of Illinois and things are pretty darn quiet most all the time. If you want real action - find a place near the Super Wal-Mart.

I have only been here two years, but I can't agree with all of what bonedoc says. My understanding is that Kirksville hasn't had a tornado since 1902. Last year, a report said they "thought" they had a tornado, but it was just wind. Funny thing is, the wind wasn't that bad. Of course, I am from Oklahoma, so I know tornadoes--and this place doesn't get them.

Also, the summers aren't nearly as bad as he implies. It all depends on what you are used to, but we only used our air conditioner for a couple of weeks, with the windows open and fans going the rest of the time. I was GLAD to get up here away from the heat and humidity of Okahoma! We did have a couple of days that went over 100 last year, but for the most part, KV issues a heat advisory at 90--and that is NOT deadly weather! Most days are in the 80s during the approximately one month of summer.

As far as houses go, many of the houses on the school's housing list are holes, so don't always trust it. We found our house using www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com, but it is a great idea to make the trip and see the place first! Asking current students is a great idea bc you can get names of the landlords, who may have other places. You can try calling Helen Rogers at (660) 665-3272; she is a great landlady who owns several townhouses and may have one available. Ask her for recommendations if she doesn't. Doing this with her and others may form you a network of connections!

Always someone who knows just a bit more . . .

1998: 2 tornados did minor damage just north and south of the city of KV.

July 2001: I witnessed "strong wind" in the shape of a funnel take off part of the roof of a fast food restaruant and the "Bank of Kirksville" on Baltimore while rotating in a doc's office.

Living in a trailer - anywhere in the midwest - seems like a poor idea to me. I suppose this is very minor when compared with the ideal weather of Oklahoma. Heat indicies are routinely in the 100s+ during late July, August, and September.

One last note: I am not aware of anyone getting burned by renting from those who post in the admissions office. Renters who post there do so to try to keep the apartments and houses rented to KCOM students, and away from the undergraduate students at Truman.

Look into all of your options, and have fun! Kirksville is a great place, and with the closest real shopping malls 90 minutes away - you will become very good at internet shopping.

I stand corrected, bonedoc. After being refuted by your post, I did a few minutes of online research and discovered that the last major tornado in Kirksville was in 1899, not 1902 as I originally said. Sadly, that one did damage 300 buildings and killed 17 people. I found no records of a tornado in Kirksville since then, although you are correct that a few outlying communities have experienced minor tornadoes with no reported damage or casualties, as indicated by the report of all Adair county tornadoes that I found:

Date ID Time Dead/Injured Tornado size
MAY 16, 1960 013 0600 0 0 F2
SEP 21, 1965 027 0030 0 0 F0
MAY 26, 1973 049 1630 0 0 F1
SEP 16, 1987 003 1545 0 0 F1
JUN 30, 1993 018 2000 0 0 F0

As you can see, the only tornado large enough to be considered dangerous, in most cases, was in 1960, but resulted in no deaths or injuries.

A little research into the 2001 "tornado" you mentioned turned up a wind report from the police department, but I do remember the news reporting a civilian-spotted tornado at the time it occurred (was that you??). However, this claim was not substantiated by radar or official sighting. Since the damage was so minimal, the report was changed to wind damage.

All I am saying is that for many people, the word tornado holds a great amount of connotation and should be substantiated. After surviving through the May 3, 1999, F5 tornado in Oklahoma City, the largest in nationally recorded history, I have a slightly different perspective on your doomsday perception. Consider that for some people, the weather here may be rather mild and even desirable and understand that different people may perceive things differently than you do. Where are you from originally, if I may ask?

On another note, I have been pleased here with the extremely low crime rate. I regularly see people go into Wal-Mart with their cars running and unlocked and the cars are still there when they return. I know of people who don't even have locks on their windows at home, so I don't know what part of town would experience this loss of everything not bolted down, as you said, unless it is by Truman, where there is a considerable turnover of less mature individuals who may or may not suffer from a lack of ethics.

Thank you for causing me to research a little and not rely on anecdotal information, as I was before. This has been very enlightening.

John DO

I am enjoying our little thread, and appreciate the research you have recently done.

I am from the midwest, and do not feel a wave of panic every time the NWS posts a tornado watch/warning, or any other type of "severe weather" advisory. I have lived in places where the heat and cold have killed people. I actually really enjoy severe weather, and can usually be found on my front steps as a major storm front advances toward our home. I am not the little-red-hen I suspect you suppose me to be. I will not, however, try to compete with the super-star experiences you seem to have had.

My original point was really quite simple: It is worth a trip to KV to find a place to live. There are many great deals to be found, but do not sign a deal if you have not personally seen the place.

As for the weather - your major point of interest - It is no different than any other midwest town. It gets hot as hell in the summer, with major humidity. The winters can be down-right miserable - cold and windy, with snow that seems to be falling sideways. But this can also be found in most of the midwest. For the greatest comfort, get central air. Gas heat is cheper than electric. Pretty simple.

Crime is so low it is almost too much to believe. We too usually did not lock our door to our house. A friend who lived next to a trailer court in town had a bike, then a BBQ, stolen. Never reported to the police. Crime seemed to be higer in that area than in our neighborhood (not near a trailer court.) Not a very good "evidence based" conclusion, I know, but perhaps a good idea for your next research project . . .

If the financial aid still mails out the letter suggesting that buying a trailer is better than renting a house, that is for you to decide. I rented, and had a great experience.

Finally, I did not report the 2001 "tornado," nor do I know who did.

Originally posted by dobonedoc
John DO

I actually really enjoy severe weather, and can usually be found on my front steps as a major storm front advances toward our home.

haha--i know exactly what you mean! Everyone thinks I am crazy as I stand outside and enjoy the rare thunderstorm. After moving here, I didn't get a good night's rest until I went home to visit for the first time and slept through a nice storm. I guess it is what you get used to . . .

:clap:

I'm IN!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Missouri here I come!!!

The heat ain't nuthin' compared to this cold!!!!!

If anyone is looking to buy a house, I'm selling my 2 story, 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhouse. Email me if you have any questions, or you can look at the century 21 website, MLS #3950.

Enjoy your time before medical school and welcome to Kirksville!

Originally posted by AviatorDoc
The heat ain't nuthin' compared to this cold!!!!!
You said it, chief!

Congrats to docslytherin!

To the early birds of 2007...

I'm looking to sublease my apartment for 2 months beginning June 1st, and afterward you can stay as long as ya like, courtesy of Heritage House Realty.

Its a 2 bed 1 bath. It was brand spankin' new when I moved in, January 2002. I walk to school every day. (That's saying a lot from a native Arizonan who HATES the cold.) My lease is $450 /mo, and I don't know if they plan on raising it or not.

Anyone interested, let me know.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the KCOM rotation sites in Arizona are and how good they are in terms of experience, teaching, learning? Thanks!

There is a brand new updated site, but I can't seem to get it to copy and paste.
Here is the link for info on the Arizona sites up til December 2002.

http://www.kcom.edu/academia/Rotations/SiteBook/Arizona-sites.htm

The new site simply looks like it has more info and is organized differently....but essentially, the above link should give you some of what you are looking for.

I know that there are some wonderful oppurtunities in AZ, but I don't know alot about the programs themselves.

Hope this helps! :)

wifty

just got a rejection letter today.

i am just wondering if kcom is mostly whites? not that i care, it is in a white area.

i can't find their students' profile online, so i am just wondering .

YOung Jock,
I noticed a number of minority students who applied with me, but I didn't really whether the classes had them or not. It did seem to me predominantly white. From the listing of the class of 2006 , I counted 17 who (based on skin color alone) were probably considered minorities.
I don't think the predominantly white student membership has as much to do with the administration's selection of students as it has to do with the students selection of a school. The area seemed predominantly white. Some minorities may find being one of the only minorities uncomfortable.

Good luck on your future interviews.

Drek

I was reading on SDN and someone in the feedback stated that KCOM pays for a Board Review coarse for its students, is that true?

I noticed a few of the posts regarding housing issues and thought I would add a comment to that.
I made the mistake of moving outside the city limits and really got burned. The apartment really looked nice on the surface, but my heating bill was over $100, I had mice, spiders, rats, pipes that kept freezing, and a landlord who refused to return my calls until I threatend a lawsuit.
I finally had enough when the temp. dropped to 10 degrees and the pipes froze for a week leaving me without water. Once again, the landlord didn't return my calls.
She refused to let me out of my lease, so I just moved out and dropped off a letter and the keys.
I would not recommend living outside the city limits as there are no building codes, health codes, fire codes, or zoning laws. You are better off inside the city limits.
My landlord advertised through the school. Kimberly Reed. I wrote the school and recommended they not let her advertise anymore, but if you see her name-run.

Does anyone know if KCOM has an honors society similar to the AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha)?

quick answers to some of your questions...

yes, KCOM does pay for a board review course. the companies offering courses give a presentation to the students and then we as a class vote on which company we liked best.

honor society: sigma sigma phi is the osteopathic honor society and KCOM does have a chapter. Applications are sent out around the 3rd quarter of your first year. You must have an 85% GPA to qualify and then are selected based on your involvement in school, community, etc.

hope this helps