Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

KCOM 2nd yr courses

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by swaamedic, Apr 23, 2002.

1. swaamedic

swaamedic Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can someone @ KCOM or who is more familiar than I explain how the 2nd year courses work at KCOM. I see that they are based on actual specialties of medicine ie. Emergency Medicine, OB/GYN, Derm, etc.
    Thanks
    RB

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kelbel

kelbel Junior Member

The second year classes are mostly clinically based. They are taught by a Clinician of that specialty. They are very good because you see where the basic sciences fit in. This is also helpful in preparing for boards and rotations.

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I want to agree with what Kelly just said. I felt like the clinical classes were a great preperation of rthe 3rd year and really helped me refine and expand on the information from the first year.

As for boards, I sat there taking the test and time after time the questoins on the boards was the exact information we had taught to us in our "Principles of Medicine" class now called Internal Medicine or something like that.

It was a good year.

5. Sweaty Paul

Sweaty Paul Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

swaamedic,

You are correct, the clinical courses are broken into their various specialties as they are taught to us. However, they also try to do the appropriate pathology with whatever we are covering in surg and Principles of Med (internal med). This is nice b/c they all kind of dovetail together. The Princ. of Med course has various subdivs. such as Nephrology, Endocrine, Rheumatology, and Geriatrics that we are covering this quarter with exams at the end of each set and a final at the end of the quarter.

Like Kelbel and Hskrmedic I would agree that the clinical courses and they way they are set up are very helpful for the integration in applying some of the basic sci from year one into a clinical framework. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to let me know.

Sweaty Paul MS-II
    KCOM