KCOM and Still Well program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dollarbincommon

apple fritters are good
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get more information about KCOM's Still Well program. I know this program has something to do with the well-being of the students, other than his/her academics. I'm going to write some scenarios and tell me if they are right or wrong. I just want to get an idea of this Still Well program.

*I feel like swimming today, so I'm going to swim. Therefore I'm involved in the Still Well program.

*I'm stressed out. I studied a lot. So, I'm going to run (use the treadmill). Therefore, I'm involved in the Still Well program.

*The midterm is tomorrow. I am going to that meditation class to relax myself. This means that I'm involved in the Still Well program.

I'm very interested in KCOM. But, all I know about KCOM is from reading the website. The idea that I get from the website is that academics and Still Well program are fully incorporated. If anyone knows, please share. Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dollarbincommon
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get more information about KCOM's Still Well program. I know this program has something to do with the well-being of the students, other than his/her academics. I'm going to write some scenarios and tell me if they are right or wrong. I just want to get an idea of this Still Well program.

*I feel like swimming today, so I'm going to swim. Therefore I'm involved in the Still Well program.

*I'm stressed out. I studied a lot. So, I'm going to run (use the treadmill). Therefore, I'm involved in the Still Well program.

*The midterm is tomorrow. I am going to that meditation class to relax myself. This means that I'm involved in the Still Well program.

I'm very interested in KCOM. But, all I know about KCOM is from reading the website. The idea that I get from the website is that academics and Still Well program are fully incorporated. If anyone knows, please share. Thanks in advance. :)

I am not sure I understand where you are coming from with your scenarios. I will try to explain StillWell as I know it.

StillWell is a program for staff, students and partners of KCOM students. To take part, you intially undergo a physical fitness test to determine where you are at that time. You also fill out a questionnaire designed to assess your mental/spiritual well-being. You then receive a personalized report to tell you how you did that makes with suggestions for improvement. You also have a physical. The physical fitness test is repeated every six months. You fill out shorter weekly questionaires to assess you mental/spiritual health.

There are lectures throughout the school year about topics related to well-being. My understanding is that there is some sort of party at the end of the year for participants. Oh, and you get a t-shirt.

KCOM focuses a lot of energy on helping students maintain balance. Its not just BS. It is up to the student, however, to get the most out of it. If you never work out, take part in the seminars, or attempt to achieve balance, StillWell isn't going to help you.

In terms of the "scenarios" you presented, I am not sure I understand. A person not participating in the Still-Well program could easily do the things you presented. StillWell is a concrete program that does incorporate academics, but you actually have to enroll in the program and keep up with the questionnaires.

Let me know if you have other specific questions.

Thanks LloydDObler :) :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I just wanted to get an idea of what the Still Well program is. I wasn't sure if it was an "ad gimmick" or if it was real and practiced.

But thanks for the correction.

*KCOM still on the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've enjoyed being in the still well program. The biannual physicals are kind of like final exams for me - I'm definitely motivated to be at the same or greater level of fitness than I was before! If this program hadn't been around, I'd probably still be hanging onto the freshman 15 that I gained when I first started at KCOM. And you get bonus points in a class for being part of it, so it helps out academically.

It's kind of cool to look at the past results of the still well program. They've been doing it for years and have published papers on how medical school affects the students physically, emotionally and spiritually. You can find articles in the DO Journal, etc. It's a good program, in my opinion.

andrea,

Do you know if the other DO schools have programs like the still well program?

VCOM has a program very similar called the Via Wellness Program. With access to two work out facilities at Virginia Tech, staying in shape seemed important to all of the students I spoke with... I think they even award points and they can be redeemed at a local sporting good store. I have a feeling that there will be a few similarities with VCOM and KCOM due to Dean Tooke-Rawlins influence:)

That's great that VCOM has a program too! Dollarbin, I'm sure a lot of schools have fitness programs, but KCOM was one of only a few schools in the country to receive a federal grant to do the research. That's what's supposed to make the still well program so unique.

andrea, are you saying that KCOM gets money to do research on student wellness? If that's true, I think I'm going to look more into this. still interested in KCOM.

Thanks guys. :) KCOM and VCOM are still on my list.