Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

KCOM anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Barton, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey. I'm applying to KCOM, and I want to know what their profile looks like. Any help would be appreciated. I have a 3.34 gpa (3.0 science). I got a 35 MCAT (11v, 12p, 12b, P). I have one summer clinical experience (Mayo Clinic-Medical Oncology), two summers research (mayo clinic-nuclear medicine, UW-Madison biochem/bacteriology). I published 3 abstracts and have 4 papers up for publication. Am I ballpark/do I even have a chance? Any ideas?

2. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Looking good.... :)

3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Here are the stats for the KCOM class of 2004. I got them from www.kcom.edu I then looked under student services and then chose 2004 profile. I don't know when they will hvae the class of 2005 up there.

Class Size 150
    States Represented 34
    Average Age 25
    Average Cum. GPA 3.4
    Average Sci. GPA 3.4
    Average MCAT 27

Good Luck

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Barton,
    Your Science GPA is a little low but I would think your high MCAT would make up for that. Make sure you have good letters of rec and a good personal statement. Find a DO (a KCOM grad if possible) and spend some time with them. I think it would be a huge help when you go for your interview especially since your background seems to be in more of an allopathic and academic world.

Good luck.

5. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

Call the KCOM Admissions office (660-626-2121) and let them know you are interested in KCOM and they can hook you up with a KCOM graduate in your area! They call them KCOM Diplomates . . .

6. Wheazer

Wheazer Junior Member

Barton,
    While your science GPA is low, your MCAT and experience sound excellent. KCOM looks at all of your application and considers more than just GPA. As a fourth year student at KCOM, my recommendations would be to get a letter of rec. from a D.O., know what osteopathy is and express that in your personal statement and interview. KCOM is a great place to learn and educates their students to compete with any student in the country.
    Good luck.

7. BigSkyDreams

BigSkyDreams Smelly Uncle Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Howdy,

KCOM Class 2005 Stats:

Size: 157
    MCAT: 27
    GPA: 3.4
    M: 101
    F: 56
    States Rep: 33
    MO - 22
    CA - 14
    UT - 13
    WA/? - 11
    CO - 10

Colleges Rep: ?
    Brigham Young - 20
    Truman State U - 11
    University of Utah - 4

8. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Big Sky,
    How is orientation going?
    That is quite a few females and people from Truman State. It is weird how the average age is going down. My class's average age (2003) was around 26.

9. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

That should be >24 on the age! It is between 24 and 25. Interestingly, our class size went from 156 to 157 recently as a student was accepted about a WEEK ago! Imagaine your life changing like that!

Big Sky, have we met? I thought I had met everyone on SDN . . . If you are not sure of who I am, yet, I told (during class intros) of how my wife kept me at Wal-Mart all night our first three nights here.