KCOM Class of 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey class of '04, I have a suggestion for you. Many of you will be living in the Woodwinds...and you know there are several cook-out areas inside of the complex, plus >50% of the Woodwinds are KCOM students. For my class, I slated/organized a couple of "social gatherings" prior to & after school started. There are boo-koo grills, a pool, a kiddie-playground area and more or less a park-like area in the middle of the buildings. There are cook outs there all of the time! So, put the word out, pick a date, assign people to bring various items, burn a few burgers, drink a few adult beverages and have a fun time!
It was a great way to meet many of my classmates. Hell, that's how I met ole Carrie <actually we initially met on old Vic's site>. PLus, the biggest benefit of all...you'll get to meet me...Old Man Dave cause I live in the Woodwinds!! So, be certain to inform OMD and Carrie when the festivities will be...we'll try to gather a few MS-2s for all of you to ask that 10,000,000 questions I know you will have!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of eats OMD, what are the good eats in town?

Is anyone from michigan area attending KCOM next fall? I would love to meet someone from MI planning to attend KCOM next fall.

OMD,
got a quick question for you. I am planning to sign up for the insurance provided by SOMA. any thoughts. Should I obtain medical insurance now or wait till the beginning of august?

[This message has been edited by KCOM2004 (edited 06-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by KCOM2004 (edited 06-20-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...eats, there are few decent places; but to be honest...I am not impressed by the relatively bland mid-western palette. I am from Dallas and LOVE hot & spicy foods...which are not to be found around here. But, there are several decent local eateries: Aileron's & Bogey's are known for thier burgers 'N' beers <Ailerons's has awesome school night specials> King's is decent Chinese, Too Talls ---> K'ville's interp of a Fridays; Minn's a nice, sit-down with a date to dinner place! Wooden Nickel ---> mediocre Bar-B-Q & pasta. And of course the usual acoutrement of fast food joints.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

KCOM2004;

Insurance huh? Well, if you already plan to jump on the SOMA insurance...I wouldn't complicate things by signing up for something short-term, then doing the SOMA policy. However, I also would not recommend going without insurance either.

Have you joined SOMA yet? You do know that you must be a SOMA member to get the insurance? I don't how early you can start the SOMA policy. Let me check with Samir and find out if you joined now and sent in a binder how soon the policy can go into effect.

Feel free to e-mail me <[email protected]> for more information on the benefits of joining ----> I am the National Liaison Officer for the KCOM chapter. In the next week or so, we will be mailing out some further information of the SOMA laptop discount we have worked out with Gateway, more insurance info & possibly something on a book to be given away to all new members of SOMA <we're waiting on nationals to finalize that deal>.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Dave, I am also mulling over the Soma insurance. As far as I understand it, all I have to do is mail the application the day I want the coverage to begin and it will begin on the postmark date as long as its during the open enrollment period. Correct me if I'm wrong on this....Thanks

i've spoken to KCOM insurance reps with SOMA and they said if you want to apply for their insurance out of the "open" period which is around when school starts then you would have to fill out some extra forms which they can send you....

but they told me it wouldn't be a problem to start insurance once we're there... just note it on the paperwork KCOM needs us to send back by the deadline...

Hey guys,

I spoke with Samir, the SOMA Pres, to find out the skinny on when you can get your SOMA insurance plan to go into effect. As far as we know, all you have to is call the insurance people directly, there should be phone numbers in the information packet we sent you. You can possibly arrange early coverage that way.

In turn, you will have be a SOMA member for them to go any further. So, if you are contemplating getting your policy early, you will have to send in those dues. You may either send your dues to address in your SOMA information packet; or you may send it directly to Samir <[email protected]>, Julie <[email protected]> or myself <[email protected]>...e-mail one of us to make arrangements to send them directly.

I hope this helps!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03