KCOM essays-very small space

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by mmpp, Oct 1, 2001.

1. mmpp

mmpp Member

The secondary for KCOM states "please limit your responses to the space provided." There's not a lot of room. Does anyone know if they mind if an additional sheet is attached? thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. algae

algae Senior Member

I figured that since they stated "please confine comments to the space provided" that they meant it. I had alot more to say, but instead I kept it to the small space provided. I was pretty annoyed by having to limit my comments, but I got an interview with them today anyways! Good luck!

4. mmpp

mmpp Member

Thanks algae and good luck on your interview! Hopefully, I'll be in your position sometime soon.

5. Barton

Barton Senior Member

algae: when did you get your kcom interview invite? When was your file complete with them? Thanks.

6. algae

algae Senior Member

Barton - I sent in my application in early September, but one of my letter writers didn't send in my recommendation until a few weeks later. My application was probably complete around Sept. 20th, and I got the interview from KCOM yesterday.

7. Barton

Barton Senior Member

Thanks for responding. I emailed KCOM today, and they said my file is complete and it's under review for an interview. Just to ball-park it, do you think my stats are interview-worthy at KCOM (based on your experience)?
    GPA: 3.35
    SGPA: 3.35
    MCAT: 11v, 12p, p, 12b
    Any input would help set my mind at ease (either way). Thanks.

8. algae

algae Senior Member

Barton - your numbers are better than mine and I got an interview. I have alot of activities/experiences though, and I think that had something to do with the fact that I got an interview. Your MCAT is higher than the average student accepted at KCOM, and your gpa is average for those accepted. So based on your numbers alone, it seems like you are right on track for an interview. Good luck!

9. Barton

Barton Senior Member

Algae,
    thanks for the confidence boost. That's exactly what I need right now. I've been pullin' my hair out with all this waiting. Thanks for the info.

10. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair

Barton,

Your numbers look good, but you must know that KCOM values a complete student. When you interview, be sure to emphasize your other qualities that will make you a good physician. Numbers and such are impressive, but we have had Harvard grads not make it on the first try, so the interviewers look for more qualities than just that. That is why most Osteopathic school have lower numbers than allopathic schools. They understand that it takes more than a good student with brains and good study habits to make a good physician, it takes a good person. You can't impress these guys with stats; make them see YOU. When you get on campus, look up some SDNers--there are quite a few of us!

JohnDO
    KCOM '05

11. Claymore

Claymore Yankees Suck

Resident [Any Field]
    I too just received an interview invite from KCOM, with lower scores than yours...however, I also have some decent research/volunteer/extracurricular experience as well. Good luck!

12. milleniumhc

milleniumhc Member

To all of you worried about getting an interview, I have to say (sorry John) that even when everything adds up....good scores, good overall bio, good everything...sometimes it is still a "craps shoot". Don't compare yourself with others because then you WILL pull your hair out. Trust me. I am a second year KCOM student and I have seen quite a bit. I am just saying, that even if you don't get in THIS year with those scores, you could still get in NEXT year with those scores. Don't ever give up. That is what I want you to think. John is right, though. Numbers are definitely not everything. If you have great numbers and nothing else (no experience or service) I am not sure what will happen. I can ask, though. I will let you know....good luck to you all. mhc