KCOM for school & then CA to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliff

Reaction score
Hi all.

I was accepted to KCOM and will send them a fat check this week. I live in Southern California and think COMP is good. I was enthusiastic about going to school in San Francisco, but have concluded now is not the time to go there (at least for me). I have not heard from COMP as of yet.

I know that KCOM emphasizes OMT and such, but also has a very challenging first two years of basic science work. I am afraid that I am going to get stuck doing my rotations in very small rural places. Is this the case?

My 2nd questions is:

I would like to end up in California. Am I going to be as competitive a candidate for internships/residencies (DO/MD)in Cali as KCOM grad rather than COMP grad? Will I get back here??

Congrats to everyone who are going to become docs, and thank you to everyone who is taking the time to share their opinions with us aspiring future docs.

Members don't see this ad.

Cliff,

You will have no problem getting a residency in Cali if you go to KCOM. The important thing to do is during your elective rotations, you should set some up at some of the California hospitals that you would like to do your residency at. This will allow you to network with higher-ups that select the residents. I myself chose COMP because San Bernadino is a major teaching hospital affiliated with UCI and Loma Linda. Plus, I plan to practice in California as well so I figured COMP is in a rich area to do my electives at. In addition, you just can't beat the Southern Cal weather and lifestyle.
Good luck with your decision.

EDGAR

Congrats!!!! I will see you next year as an MS1 at KCOM.

Carrie

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, at KCOM, we rotate thru 4 main different regions (3rd/4th year): Michigan/Michigan, Arizona/Arizona, Ohio/Ohio and Missouri/Missouri. There are also other options available, such as Georgia, Texas, New York and the Pacific Northwest. You can choose to do an elective rotation at say, California. Once accepted into a region, you can choose to rotate at pretty much any hospitals. I am no way an expert but just wanna to give you some info. No, you will not be stuck doing rotations in rural hospitals. It's your choice. We have a hospital here at KCOM and there are many people doing their rotations and internships here. HTH.

MS-1, KCOM

How hard is it to place into an elective rotation (during the 3rd or 4th year) at a high profile school coming from a DO school?

I mean are they pretty liberal about that, or is there a formal application process?

mack

Regarding San Bernardino Medical Center -- it has stronger affiliations with COMP than either UCI or Loma Linda. In-fact, COMP has plans to open a satellite campus on the grounds of the new hospital (Arrowhead Medical Center) that SBMC is moving into.

As for KCOM/California -- I'd recommend COMP if you want a better chance at getting a California residency (COMP students get priority at most of the local facilities over out of state DO students).

However, if you work hard at getting rotations in California, you'll probably be able to find a residency here. Even if you don't get a California residency, big deal -- the job market in CA stinks, even for FPs!

Thanks for the info from everyone.

I am still unclear about the other options KCOM offers like 'the pacific northwest and New York.' When I was in Kirksville people were not clear about these options for 3/4th year rotations.

I am also curious if students are able to do core rotations in programs set up by differnt schools. For ex., as a KCOM student would I be able to enroll in COMP rotations. Sort of like spending a semester studying at a different college.

Can't wait to start school------next August..............

Log onto KCOM Student Government Chat site, post a question and I am sure some upperclassmen can answer your questions. HTH.
Go Kirksville ... ;-)

http://www.kcom-sga.threadnet.com/cgi_bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

To help you guys put together a picture of KCOM core rotations sites, there are 8 options for this year second-years (3rd/4th year): MO/MO, MO/GA, MO/Northwest (CO,UT,ID), MO/TX, OH/OH, MI/MI, AZ/AZ (thru UofA), AZ/Northwest. So if you choose AZ/AZ for example, you will stay in AZ for the whole 3rd and 4th year and can rotate at one or any hospital within the AZ region. New York is not yet finalized and these options do change from year to year. Keep in mind that the majority of osteopathic internship and residency programs (~80%) are located in MI/PA/OH. It pretty much depends on how ostepathic you wanna be. HTH.