KCOM Information

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by OldManDave, Oct 27, 1999.

1. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Any of you out there either interested in applying to KCOM, have applied or been accepted at KCOM and wish to ask current students questions, please follow the following link:
    http://www.kcomstudents.org

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SD

SD Senior Member

Hey, thanks OMD! I'm interviewing there in another week and a half, I'm pretty excited about it. Is it everything that you hoped it would be like?

------------------
    Sara
    Class of 2004 at XXXXX

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

Sara,
    I came to KCOM with expectations that were too high. That is not saying anything bad about KCOM but rather it only says that I was so excited to be here and so impressed by so many things at KCOM that all of the sudden I expected perfection (I don't know where I got that idea.)

Well, guess what. I did not get perfection and after I got over that I found that I was a at a great school with a really great group of peple where are all there to help each other. So I guess KCOM is not everything I expected it to be but yet it is great. I still have my gripes about different things but none of them are that big or that important.

As to the interview at KCOM. Get a good nights rest the night before because it is kind of a long day but interviewing here is actually kind of fun. It is as low stress as possible. They really try to keep the interview as a conversation rather than a grilling session.

Good Luck

Carrie

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

5. SD

SD Senior Member

Carrie- would you mind telling me what exactly didn't live up to your expectations? I appreciated any insight you may have. Thanks. (Feel free to email me privately if you'd like)

------------------
    Sara
    Class of 2004 at XXXXX

6. OMD 2

OMD 2 Member

Sarah,

Let me tell you...no school...ZERO will be perfection! If a school even implies such a thing I advise you to run like hell!!

All school's will have strengths and weaknesses. But ALL of them will teach you what it takes to be a great physician. Far more critical to your success is selecting and institution where you will happy and fit in.

Like Carrie said, KCOM is a great place and what it makes it such a place are the students, faculty and staff here. All the neatest buildings and tech-y facilities don't mean diddly without caring people to teach you how to use it!!!

------------------
    Old Man Dave
    KCOM, Class of 2003

7. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

Sara,
    I agree with Dave, which I seem do be doing a lot of lately on this board. I don't think there was anything wrong with KCOM my expectations were too high. One specific example that I can think of is the passing of relevant information to students etc. I felt that sometimes we got last minute notice of things at KCOM and was pretty frustrated. After thinking it over I realized that it wasn't that KCOM was that unorganized because really it wasn't it was that my undergrad was so rigid that schedules never changed even if it would have helped. Another problem was that my undergrad was small. My last year my largest class had 12 people in it, communication was never a problem if something needed to be known the prof just called you at home personally, this would be impossible at a school with larger class sizes.

What I am trying to say is that I expected too much and was unrealistic. I love KCOM though and am really glad to be here. If you would like to talk more in person send me an e-mail and maybe we can chat when you are here for your interview and I can help you with any more questions. That will be a fairly light week for me so I would be glad to help.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

8. njdevil

Attending Physician
    To remove all doubt. KCOM is a solid school that works with its students. Any questions about the school, feel free to contact me.

9. SD

SD Senior Member

Carrie- Yes! I would love to meet with you when I'm interviewing at KCOM. My interview is Monday, Nov. 8. They planned a pretty full interview day, but I'm sure we can manage a little bit of time if your schedule allows. Thanks for all of your insight on KCOM. (you, too, OMD and njdeveil!)

------------------
    Sara
    Class of 2004 at XXXXX

10. OMD 2

OMD 2 Member

Certainly Sarah, e-mail us when you'll be in town and maybe we can all meet up for a burger or something. Where are you going to stay while in K'Ville? Holiday Inn Express and Days Inn offer the best rates...just tell them you making reservations for a KCOM interview...the Days Inn is the nicest hotel in town I believe.

Just a little addendum on how awesome KCOM is...I am currently in the hospital, day #3, for pneumonia. I have had a steady stream of phone calls and visits from classmates, faculty and even the Dean. All parties assure me that despite my missing 3 half days last week and this entire week, I will be given ample opportunity to make-up what I've missed & to reschedule, within reason, things coming up immediately due to my protracted absence. Tell me KCOM is not a student focused school!!!

------------------
    Old Man Dave
    KCOM, Class of 2003

11. SD

SD Senior Member

OMD- Thanks for the reply. I'm coming up on Sunday night and interviewing Monday. I'm not leaving until Tuesday, so maybe we can all grab a burger on Monday night? (after your test on Monday) [​IMG] I'm staying with one of your classmates while I'm there. He's an old friend from Univ. of FL.

------------------
    Sara
    Class of 2004 at XXXXX

12. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Certainly Sara...I'll mention it to Carrie [Hskermdic] and NJDevil and we'll see if we can meet up. Maybe we can do Aileron's or Bogie's...the closest the K'Ville has to good burger/beer joints.

By the by, who might your frined from FL be? Hans per chance? Let us know and he or she is welcome to come along as well.

Your friend will have all three of our phone numbers in their class phone list...just give us a call.

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

13. SD

SD Senior Member

OMD- How'd you know?? Heehee.. You must've been talking to Carrie. Monday sounds great, I'll pencil you in, because, you know, my schedule is overwhelming, especially in Kirksville. So may things to do, to see, heehee, just kidding. Hey, I'm glad to hear they actually have a burger joint out there in the boonies. [​IMG] Can't wait to see ya'lls little town out there in no-man's land. Hope I don't get lost on the way. I'll never find my way back to civilization. [​IMG] See you on Monday!

------------------
    Sara
    Class of 2004 at XXXXX