KCOM location/NSU student happiness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted at KCOM and NSU both and have to decide between the two. Feel free to post on here, or if you are more comfortable--pm me. Thanks!

KCOM:
I was very impressed with KCOM's faculty and students. I was not so much impressed with the facilities and absolutly scared of the town.
KCOM Students: Did any of you go to KCOM with an utter disdain of little towns? How do you like it now? How did you adjust? Are there any opportunities to socialize with single ppl your age outside of your classmates?

NSU:
I was very impressed with the NSU's faculty also, as well as their facilities and their location. I felt as if this school 'fit' and reminded me of my undergrad instution that I loved. I was not so much impressed with the students who were available (For some reason the students who toured seemed just "okay" with their education whereas at KCOM they seemed excited about their level of education) and the high cost of living in Ft. Lauderdale.
NSU Students: Are you and most of your classmates truely happy with the education that you are getting there? Do you feel as if it it inferior to the education received at other DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

i was intv. both at kcom and nsu...accepted to kcom and put on alternate list for nsu...

it might be just different experiences..

for me, the nsu students seemed very happy, on the other hand the faculty were extremely unfriendly

at kcom, the students were not "excited" about their school...but they didn't mention anything bad either, the faculty were good.

anyhow..good luck with your decision

I can't offer you much help here. I will tell you I have been accepted at both and unless I get a "free ride" from NSU between now and December 15th, I will not be sending them a $1,000. Why? I just didn't like it that well. The students seemed somewhat unhappy and I wasn't overly impressed with the heat. Ft. Lauderdale seemed nice to me but wasn't a good fit for my wife and I. Kirksville seemed like the better place to raise kids and the reputation seems a bit stronger at KCOM. The "small town" may be a drag, but I think it helps morph the students into a stronger group (stronger friendships, etc...)as a result. You wouldn't go wrong with either school. They both are tremendous in the level of education they deliver. Much of our excellence as doctors will certainly depend on how much effort we put into the process and less so much to do with where we went to school (although the school can't be completely discounted).

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with where it will make you happiest or be the best fit for you...I think they are both good programs, although I haven't been to NSU, only read about it.

Personally, I like the sense of community not only between the students but with the community as a result of a smaller town.

hey question for the people that got into both. i'm applying to those two school but i haven't sent in my secondaries just yet. i'm waiting for my state school interview (the usually let me people know after two weeks) but i was wondering if u could tell what your stats were? just curious if i have what it takes to get in. congrats on getting in. it must be a big burden off your shoulders.

excellent stats ..way to go.. not to mention foreign language studies. That was my minor.

docbill said:
excellent stats ..way to go.. not to mention foreign language studies. That was my minor.
Thanks! God blessed me with scores that were good enough to get into almost all the places I applied to. I've been blessed with so much and it feels great to be in. Now, the tough part is just the decision making. Difficult problem to have, right? :)

kaikai128 said:
I got accepted at KCOM and NSU both and have to decide between the two. Feel free to post on here, or if you are more comfortable--pm me. Thanks!

KCOM:
I was very impressed with KCOM's faculty and students. I was not so much impressed with the facilities and absolutly scared of the town.
KCOM Students: Did any of you go to KCOM with an utter disdain of little towns? How do you like it now? How did you adjust? Are there any opportunities to socialize with single ppl your age outside of your classmates?

NSU:
I was very impressed with the NSU's faculty also, as well as their facilities and their location. I felt as if this school 'fit' and reminded me of my undergrad instution that I loved. I was not so much impressed with the students who were available (For some reason the students who toured seemed just "okay" with their education whereas at KCOM they seemed excited about their level of education) and the high cost of living in Ft. Lauderdale.
NSU Students: Are you and most of your classmates truely happy with the education that you are getting there? Do you feel as if it it inferior to the education received at other DO schools?

As far as education, both schools will provide you with the education you need. Personally, and I probably am biased, I don't think KCOM can hold a candle to NSU's Clinical Training. Science on the other hand, that's a different issue.

It really depends on who you are, if you don't like biochem and histo and classes like, I think you will dislike your classes no matter where you are. As far as NSU being inferior in their education, absolutely not, as I said, the clinical training and rotation sites are the top among the DO schools. The only school that may have an edge is NYCOM and their sites.

It also depends on what kind of setting you want. Personally, I hate small towns and I hated kirksville when I visited there. Ft. Lauderdale suits me better because the weather is nice, the beach is right next door, and thier is more culture here and more options in terms of your social life or whatever else you are into. Again, your choice depends on what is most important to you. If you have a family and kids, for example, ft. lauderdale is not the greatest place to raise kids (compared to Kirksville anyway).

But as far as education, I think both schools would prepare you for your future career. I wouldn't buy into the whole this DO school is better than that one and this and that because honestly, every person on SDN is extremely biased to what school they attend or are going to attend. On that note I well stop babbling now. good luck.

i second that...as far as getting real hands on training you prolly won't find a school nearly up to par as NSU. It's what lead me to base my final decision on NSU. You get to learn the stuff that real doctors do with patients from the first month. Once you hit 3rd year..you'll know the basics inside out. You wont be fumbling and getting scared when you interact with patients... ya the curriculum over here is hardcore (as if med school really was easy) but you def will be prepared when you hit the real life patients on your rotations. Of course there are downsides..one of course being the m@#$@#$^#$ attendance policy. it just blows being in class all day 8-4....but then again..You are in FL nuthing beats the wonderful weather we have here ..i could be in ny/pa/ia...etc freezing my nutz off if i went to school there hehehehehe n dread going to class everyday in the cold asss weather :laugh:

I would base your entire decision on geography. KCOM and NSU are very similar concerning basic sciences, clinical training, faculty, etc. I attended KCOM and also attended undergrad in Kirksville. I've met many students from NSU and swapped stories. Very similar educational experiences in very different environments.

Kirksville is small and remote. I'll list the advantages and disadvantages to this

Disadvantages: #1. No starbucks #2 No Sushi #3 No malls. You get the drift. No big city advantages. You get tired of the same 5 restaraunts, same 3 bars, and you really get tired of Super Wal-Mart. It's a small town and if you can't hack that, I would recommend not going there. But once, you get there, no one wants to hear you B@#$#@ about the town, especially the locals who tend to be gracious hosts (for the most part) to the medical students.

Advantages: #1 Comraderie among students living in a small town with nothing to do. #2 Cost of living #3 Conveniences
One person's junk is another's treasure. If you hate traffic, expensive housing, long lines everywhere you go, expensive car insurance, inflating gas prices, etc. then Kirksville is your place. My very nice apartment was 300$ a month with all utilities. I walked to school. I drank pitchers of beer at 3$ a pop. I went to movies for $2.50.
If you've never lived in a small town, and aren't too pretentious, give Kirksville a try. If you're happy in a bigger city and don't feel like you could adjust, I wouldn't try it. I've done both spectrums. I lived in Kirksville for 6 years. I live in Midtown Manhattan now (starbucks, sushi both within 3 blocks). They both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm flat broke living here and miss a lot of things about Kirksville and am really glad I got the opportunity to experience midwest life in a small town for a while (and understand where all those Bush votes came from)

Though I don't have a family, my classmates felt absolutely wonderful about having their families in Kirksville. In fact, during the lottery for 3rd and 4th year rotation sites, the few spots IN Kirksville were the most competitive because those with families did NOT want to leave.

Go wherever you'll be happy. I'm from Florida and have a bit of experience on the distribution of DOs in Florida...not many. For me, I'd rather be in a geographical region, where I'll be working amongst many DOs and MDs in rotations/residency. I don't want to be the only DO among a sea of MDs. The osteopathic physician I shadowed in Florida shared that with me as one of her qualms. But, that's just my 2cents. Do whatever is best for you. and Congratulations on your double acceptances!!! :)