KCOM or SMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slovene

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a choice between Kirksville and Des Moines which one would you choose? Forget about the location because both places are fine for me, just base your answer on the medical school itself and its qualities as it pertains to academics and future residency appointments. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

KCOM -- check out the mean board scores & board pass rates...either school can & will provide them to you for the asking.

Also, if you know a Doc or two, ask them as well.

Obviously, I am biased...but, I'd pick KCOM again, hands down.

I know you said limit answers to academics, etc..but you have to remember that other things about the situation will IMPACT your academics..such as how long of a drive you have to class...can you afford where you are living, or can budget a little easier in the smaller town...How available are faculty/staff/and other students...

These things do make a difference, because you really want to cut down on any unnecessary stressors if possible. The less 'outside' stuff you have to deal with...the more energy you can put into academics, regardless of where you choose to go.

Moral of the story...It's great that you are checking out the numbers..but don't forget the little things too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to sound like an elitist, so excuse my bias, but KCOM is the mecca. (I pass Andrew Taylor Still's grave on my drive to school everyday)

Seriously, double elle is right. There are a lot of intangibles to consider that will impact your academic experience greatly. We have top board pass rates, but we also have more contact hours than any other medical school in the nation (including all MD and DO schools). Whether there is a direct correlation there remains to be seen.
In the end, I would suggest crunching all the numbers and weighing the pros and cons statistically, then balancing your decision based on all of the intangible qualities about each school, especially the external environment. I think you will find that the intangibles will end up carrying a lot more weight on your final decision.
Good Luck!!!!

Slovene,

I am a second-year student at KCOM. I agree with Dave. The numbers at KCOM are better and unlike my esteemed collegues who caution about the little things, I would argue you can live anywhere for 2 years. I have no problem highly recommending the education that you will get at KCOM.

Sweaty Paul