Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

KCOM vs. COMP

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by query159, May 2, 2004.

1. query159

query159 New Member

Hello!

It's almost time to make final decisions and it seems I am still unsure which way to go. I am from California, so I am a bit biased towards COMP but I feel that I don't know enough about the schools to make a final decision. I have read a lot about the schools and I have gotten good reviews from both sides as well as "negative" inputs. I was wondering if any of you guys who have some knowledge about these schools would give me some advice. What do you consider are the strengths vs. weaknessess of these schools? Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

If you want to get a residency in CA, definitely go to COMP. You will be able to rotate at all the major allopathic hospitals in CA, and most of the DOs who may head the residency programs are graduates of COMP. This allows you get to get your name out to the residency programs. You can't beat home field advantage.

If you want to get your residency anywhere else, go to KCOM since it is the mother of all DO schools.

4. NewRawTick

NewRawTick Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi -- I've been a lurker for far too long, and with the decision of KCOM vs. COMP is drawing closer for me (Wed., 5/12) and I need some feedback from you fine people.

Like Adapt said, KCOM is the mother of DO schools -- doesn't that mean that a KCOM education should get a you a residency spot, regardless of state? I understand the concept of putting your foot in the door as a COMP student on rotation at a prospective residency site in CA, so it's all good.

Okay, here's the deal: COMP has had my post-interview file "on hold" for a little over a month now. I've sent in 2 extra LoRs and the KCOM acceptance letter, in hopes to expedite some kind of decision. With the KCOM deadline looming, I'm a tad worried with possibly never seeing the deposit money, in case COMP accepts me and *if* I decide to take the spot.

As of last week, COMP was my first choice: being originally from Chino Hills, I'm attracted to (*gasp*) living back at home and commuting to school, not to mention being able to eat home-cooked food and whatnot. COMP has a great OMM department, and the doctor that I volunteer for graduated from COMP -- she's been one heck of a role model for me. I have a couple of MS-I contacts that love COMP, and I've spoken to MS-III/IV who have rotated through the place where I volunteer, and they love it. And seriously, lurking on SDN's COMP Class of 2008 thread shows me how cool COMPers are.

But as time goes by, the prospect of going to KCOM is becoming more and more feasible. I remember how I was VERY impressed by their academic program when I interviewed there, as well as the holistic approach to studying is also applied. Another factor is the smaller class size -- although it's only a difference of 30-60 people, that's still bodies that tweak the prof:student ratio.

However, I'm also hesitant on going to KCOM because it's so far from home and it's in a community that is much different than any I've ever been. Perhaps I'm scared of being homesick. They don't have any rotation sites in CA either, which would be nice to have.

I'm not sure of what to think right now. It looks like I'll be going to KCOM. I want to be excited, but for some reason, I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be. (I'm excited about the concept of attending med school though!) Maybe I'm just suffering from senioritis and it's sucking the life out of me and I'm just having the pre-med school jitters.

My question is, after ALL that: KCOM or COMP? Whatchu think?

5. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, that's a tough situation. Since you are from Chino Hills, I take it you eventually want to do your residency in CA. I think definitely COMP is all around better for you. However, if you do well at KCOM, there is no doubt you will probably be able to come to CA especially if you stick to a primary care residency.

All you can do is go to KCOM unless you get accepted to COMP. You might just have to send in your deposit to KCOM. I ended up sending mine to TUCOM which ended up being a waste of money. That's just how this crazy game goes.

All you can do is play it by ear and see how it goes. Good luck to you. :thumbup:

6. kat13

kat13 Member
    7+ Year Member

I was faced with a similar situation when I was getting ready to go to school. I am from Oregon and eventually I wanted to practice on the west coast. I had been accepted to MSU, KCOM, TUCOM, and COMP and wasn't sure if I wanted to stay close to home or attend on of the more well known schools far away. For me it wasn't really the distance that was a problem, just the idea of my future and wanting to practice in the west. After discussing it with many physicians on the west coast they said that if my plan was to eventually stay out west, that COMP was a very good option. Although KCOM and MSU are excellent places to go to school, it wasn't as imperative for me to go there unless I was planning on practicing in the midwest or back east.
    I chose COMP, and despite all of the negative things that you all may have heard, I am extremely happy with my choice. I think that medical school is really what you make it; you can be the type of physician you want to be regardless of where you choose to go to school. I think that for you, COMP would be a great choice if you plan on coming back to CA. You will make great connections if you choose to stay in CA and you are open to rotating at any number of hospitals in SoCal.
    On the flip side, if you end up going to KCOM, don't be concerned at all. You should remember that you will be attending an amazing DO school. I was extremely impressed by KCOM when I went there and knew that I would receive a great education there. Especially if you plan on using OMM in practice, your experience at KCOM will be well worth it. And, when I was shadowing docs in Oregon I found that they had DO residents from all over. True that they had a better relationship with COMP, but the chief allopathic resident for IM was a DO from the midwest......go figure.
    One last thing that I had to consider when choosing a school was location. I would not have been happy if I had chosen to go to Kirksville, as far as the town is concerned. I am very happy having all that is available to me in CA, and I think I may have felt a little claustrophobic in MO.
    Well I know that I am rambling, but I hope that helps. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. And know that your decision id tough only because you have the option between two great schools; be happy about that!

-Emily (kat)

7. NewRawTick

NewRawTick Member
    7+ Year Member

Adapt and Kat,

Thank you SO much for your input. As we speak, I'm sealing the envelope to send my deposit to KCOM. I spoke with the doctor I mentioned in my previous post, and she says that I'll be fine wherever I go, and the residency in CA issue for the future isn't a big deal for me since I want to do family/general/peds and not superspecialize or go into competitive residencies.

Now, I'm finally excited -- really excited. Thank you so much again, you folks are awesome, who knows, maybe we'll all run into each other outside this forum? =)

Best of luck to your studies and doctorstuffs.