KCOM VS. DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boboo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'M ALREADY ACCEPTED TO DMU....BUT HAVE AN INTERVIEW WITH KCOM. IS IT ADVANTAGEOUS TO GO TO KCOM OVER DMU?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've weighed both SCHOOLS the same as far as academics, then you need to consider other things. For instance, small town vs bigger city living. Cost of living. Distractions or lack of. How far will you have to commute. The commuting thing doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. I live 30 minutes away from KCOM, in another small town. Time is your enemy in medical school. It's like money, there's never enough of it. You want to be as close to school as possible. I can't tell you about DMU, the school, but I've been to Des Moines several times. Nice town, lots of things to do.

Kirksville, of course, is way smaller. There are a lot fewer choices as to restaurants, bars, general places to go and see. However, Kville is charming in its own way.

If you are borrowing money, you need to decide how far your loan money can go in each place.

If your decision still isn't made over academics, then you really need to research that further. Get in touch with DMU and KCOM students via this forum (there are TONS of KCOM students on here, myself being one of them). Ask each the same questions. Ask what they like and don't like.

Good luck with your decision.

Double Elle is right... one school will only be more adventageous than the other if it meets more (or all) of your criteria. You might want to sit down and consider what you're looking for in a school and why you applied to each of the schools.

Also there's something to be said for the feeling you get when you visit the school. I was dead set on AZCOM - it fit all of my criteria, and was in a great location. I interviewed at KCOM just to "get some practtice" before my AZCOM interview. But when it came down to it I felt much more at home at KCOM than AZCOM.

Boboo...
Sent you a private message. :)