KCOM vs. OSU-COM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustinbooty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received acceptance from OSU-COM and I am awaiting the word from KCOM. Who can give me some intelligent comparisons? I already realize the major difference in rotation opportunities, but what are some other crucial differences?
p.s. I am from Kirksville, so I am also looking for other differences besides city environment.

Members don't see this ad.

I go to OSU-COM, so I may be a little biased, but I'll try to give a comparison (I was accepted at KCOM and OSU-COM and chose OSU-COM)

Tuition-- out of state OSU is approximately equal to KCOM

Student body-- 88 at OSU vs. upper hundred to low two hundred something (i think) at KCOM. For me, I like the smaller class because it allows for more prof/student interaction as well as the chance to know ALL of your classmates-- pretty cool.

Rotations-- OSU is public, therefore we do our CORE rotations at Tulsa Regional Hopsital, and the rest in the Tulsa area (except for your electives, which can be done anywhere) KCOM has CORE sites across the nation, which allows for more varied experience, but less stability if you have a family.

Facilities-- OSU is smaller (smaller class size, so you don't need as much space anyway) and has great lecture facilities, but a sub-par library and student recreation facilities (but in Tulsa, there's tons of fitness centers, climbing gyms, river parks, etc to join). KCOM has a great rec-center, and facilites are very nice, from what I remember

Location/Housing-- OSU is downtown, but what medical school isn't.
smile.gif
There's apts across the street, and across the river. Housing is easy to find, and there's a wide variety of places to choose from. KCOM-- Kirksville has a great small town charm (i'm from a small town myself, and I liked k'ville), but it doesn't offer as much in relation to recreation and housing that a bigger city can. Columbia is at least an hour drive south, and i'm not sure what town is closest to the north. For two years, anyone can handle it, and if you let it, I'm sure the town would grow on you.

Faculty/Staff-- Curriculum wise they are probably similar-- all i really know is OSU's curriculum. From what I've been told our board scores on OMT are average, but our sciences section is outstanding. We have the lowest percentage of physicians going into primary care of the DO schools (we specialize more) You'll have to ask a KCOM student about their curriculum and residency stats.

I can't really think of much else off the top of my head. I basically made my decision on the above factors and how I felt when I interviewed at the schools. Also, I don't want to offend anyone at KCOM (after all, we're all on the same team anyway.. go D.O.!!), so if they have any other input, please feel free to share.

take it easy

homonculus

Thanks for the helpful and surprisingly objective advice.
Any more useful info you could tell me about OSU-COM would be extrememly helpful. Why is it that OSU has a large number of grads specializing? Do they usually have much trouble getting the residency match they want?
Also, what can you tell me about the HUD housing down there? Is it livable?
Thanks

BB

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I will try to throw in a little from a KCOM students prospective that wasn't mentioned above or that is different.

Class size 150 (no larger)

As for going to core sites that is true but some students stay in Kirksville for rotations. Some people picked their rotations sites based on where they would like to end up for residnecy etc.

While our class size is larger than OU-COMS I have never felt like I couldn't get the one on one attention that I might have needed. Almost everyone here knows you on a first name basis. It is very much a family atmosphere which I like.

You don't live far from school. I really like being able to run home for a one hour lunch and still have over 40 minutes to spend eating and relaxing before I have to go over to school. I like that and I think a lot of students take advantage of that and being able to spend time with their family.

If you live in Kirksville then you know it is cheep to live here and that it is a rather nice community to live in. As for not having much to do in Kirksville, I don't know when you ever have the time. When our schedules are light we have a lot of extracurricular activities (sports and clubs and many students do volunteer work)Sometime s people run down to Columbia to go out to supper etc.

Our classes seem to be very close which is nice. If you ever need help with a subject or someone to hang out with there is always someone there. We seem to all really work together, share studyguides via our e-mail system as tests approach.

I think KCOM also is not one of the top DO school for the number of graduates that go into primary care. I think part of that is that being one of the best DO schools KCOM turns out graduates that can go into any field that they choose. As for matching to residencies, KCOM's graduates match with their first choice residency or internship at a very high percentage (I don't know it but I am sure the admissions office could tell you.)

Good luck making your decision. I would say that you should go with where you feel like you fit best. Don't worry about numbers etc that the school have. They are both good schools and you will get more out of your education if you go to a place that fits you.

------------------
Carrie
MSII KCOM

From someone who does not attend KCOM or OSU-COM, I would say KCOM. KCOM has a good reputation, even out here in CA.
smile.gif
I've met many graduates of KCOM and they were very happy with their education.

Just wanted to update one fact that Homonculus stated. US News comparison list came out this week and rated OSU-COM 37th of 144 U.S. medical schools in primary care training (tied with Yale, of all things). One reason we rated so highly was because it was calculated that 89% of our graduates went into primary care.

Only two other DO schools were on the list (both higher than OSU), and I cannot recall which schools they were at this time.

I know many people do not like the US News ranking format (myself included), so take the rankings with a grain of salt and don't attack the messenger in this case.

BTW - OSU-COM ranked 16th for Rural care.

For DMU, UHS, KCOM. Can anyone tell me what is the stat for percentage of people going into primary care vs specialty?

Pilot's right-- the numbers i was stating from were the numbers from when I was applying. Since we only have 88 or so graduates, it doesn't take a big swing in numbers to change the total percentage of people going into primary care (see Pilot-- I may not go to MIS, but i still know wome statistics..
smile.gif
). Even so, I was suprised to see the increase.

take it easy

homonculus

Homonculus,

Who are you? I always thought your were B.S. from Choctaw, but he told me his SDN name today. He always thought I was Homonculus. Just leave your initials.. I'll figure it out.

Pilot (APW)

You were easy to figure out-- I had you pegged during orientation (we sat together at one of the luncheon thingies). You are the only pharmacist in the class, and you don't have the same "gunneristic" attitude as some of the other people I know. Dr. B. was more difficult, as he didn't let on to much of his personality or characteristics through his posts (but I'm 99% sure I know which "B" he is). i will say, however, that out of all the people who could post out of our class I'm glad it's you two and myself.
smile.gif
I think we have a better grasp on reality than most.... btw, my initials are J.H., I haven't been to class in a while
smile.gif
, and my first name is NOT John...

take it easy

Homonculus

p.s. that certain girl you see that hangs out with us is NOT quite as much of our friend as you may suspect.. I'll email you more on this if you'd like..
smile.gif
i'm afraid that we may have been grouped with her by the class, but we've seen the error of our ways
smile.gif

Aha. The hint about the lack of attendance didn't help, as I usually only go to NeuroAnatomy (and that only about 1/2 time) This entire semester has essentially been self-taught for me. However, the hint about "the girl" is a dead giveaway, and you are correct about the assumed association.

Feel free to join me anytime when studying, especially if you are terrible at ping-pong. I always need a good laugh during study breaks, and my usual opponent is getting better while I remain stagnant. Now quit goofing around here and get to studying Kirk's stuff....

Aha. The hint about the lack of attendance didn't help, as I usually only go to NeuroAnatomy (and that only about 1/2 time) This entire semester has essentially been self-taught for me. However, the hint about "the girl" is a dead giveaway, and you are correct about the assumed association.

Feel free to join me anytime when studyi

Pilot and Homunculus,
I don't chime in much here as you may have noticed. OSU-COM posts are few and far between. This is funny that it is April and I've been following your posts since last July or so and am just now figuring out who you guys are. I feel like I have been playing Clue. "Colonel Mustard in the observatory with a pipewrench" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Not to stray from the thread though, congrats on your acceptance here at OSU-COM, bustinbooty. Homunculus has a good grasp on life here; I will echo what he said. I don't think your question about HUD housing was answered though. My buddy just got accepted here as well and he is gonna live in the HUD housing. It is across the river from the school but still close enough. $25 per month, all bills paid makes me wish I had checked into it more seriously; for what I pay now a month I could pay for a whole YEAR over there. Sheesh! I went with him to look at them and if you can live in a dorm room you can live there. Kinda small but you can apply for bigger ones at the same price after someone moves out. DEFINITELY worth looking into. Personally, I love it here and feel that we are getting a topnotch education. This was my first choice of medical schools and I'm happy to be a part of it. If you have any more ?s, my e-mail address is [email protected]

------------------
Keep it real,

Dr.B