KCOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nibbler36

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm faced with a tough decision and was hoping that perhaps I can get some input from people on this forum. I've recieved interview invites from both KCOM and WVSOM and am trying to decide which interview to attend.

I'm really trying to pick my interviews carefully since they are rather expensive.

Both schools look great, but im having trouble comparing the quality of their clinical rotations, I was hoping that students that go to these schools or know anything about the clinical rotations for 3rd and 4th years students at the schools could give me some input.

Thanks in advance for any info :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm faced with a tough decision and was hoping that perhaps I can get some input from people on this forum. I've recieved interview invites from both KCOM and WVSOM and am trying to decide which interview to attend.

I'm really trying to pick my interviews carefully since they are rather expensive.

Both schools look great, but im having trouble comparing the quality of their clinical rotations, I was hoping that students that go to these schools or know anything about the clinical rotations for 3rd and 4th years students at the schools could give me some input.

Thanks in advance for any info :)

I'm a first year at KCOM ... send me a PM or ask all your questions here and I'll avoid studying by answering them.

I know little about WVSOM but I'd have to say KCOM would have better sites (Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Ohio, Illinois, Kansas). The rotation sites are affiliated with a wide variety of residencies and other schools (rotating through MSU's sites, OU's sites, Midwestern's, Kansas University's, Southern Illinois University's) and hospitals with numerous residency programs (Des Peres Hospital, Doctors Hospital, Genesys Medical Center, Henry Ford, etc. -- not to mention Northeast Regional [Kirksville] has programs in FM, IM, surgery, anesthesia, ENT and dermatology) and if you want to go rural or do preceptor-based you can do that too. Keep in mind, however, that regardless the school you'll have some kind of lottery system for getting your rotations. I'd take a big long look at that WVSOM pricetag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for responding guys.

Yeah WVSOM's pricetag is rather steep as I would be an OOS and I wonder if it is justified. I'm also having trouble finding solid info about their rotation sites.

KCOM keeps on looking like a better and better option by the day haha. Never thought that I would actually receive multiple interviews at the beginning of the cycle, funny how apps work out.

I would love to hear some feedback from WVSOM students or graduates.

Last edited:
Beginning of the cycle? The beginning of the interview season was in September 2010 so really need to knock this interview out of the park unless you already have previous interviews or acceptances. If you don't already have acceptances you might want to double your odds and go to both interviews to increase your chances.

Sunny side up, I'm well aware of the stage of the app cycle I'm at. You misunderstand me, what I had meant was that I didnt think back in September that I would have multiple interviews now.

At any rate, you're right I would be a fool not to go to both interviews if i didnt have an acceptance already, luckily im already accepted at KCUMB.

Nibbler,

Take a look at WVSOM 2010-2011 threads. There is a lot of information there about the school and the interview from current students and accepted students. I will be matriculating to WVSOM in the fall so of course my post is biased, not just because I love WVSOM but because I know nothing about KCOM.

I will say that WVSOM can give sticker shock to many out there, but considering the average tuition for medical schools across the nation is in the mid to upper 30's, it's not outrageous. It is hard to say ANYTHING is worth $50k a year, I agree. But WVSOM does have much to offer, much more than many medical schools I can say for sure. That is something to scroll through the 2010-2011 discussion thread to get a better idea about.

I think you should at least attend the interview at WVSOM, for a few reasons. Many of the good things you hear about the school from students will be evident to you on your interview day. In other words, there is proof in the pudding. The people are great and the campus is beautiful. You are comparing it to KCOM which I said I know nothing about, but I know that many medical schools don't really have a "campus" at all. They may have a building. Or maybe just one floor of a building. WVSOM has a 50+ acre campus just for medical students (no other programs) set in the mountains of WV, featuring many state of the art facilities. That, you need to see in person.

The people are absolutely great and welcome you like family. Their post-interview acceptance rate is very high as well. I'd strongly suggest attending the interview and only eliminate schools after you receive your decision.