KCOM waitlist/early acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at KCOM in March and received my waitlist notice this week. However, the letter also stated that I was guaranteed a seat for 2001 (15 months from now). Unless a last minute miracle happens, I will be reapplying for 2001- to see if I can get in somewhere cheaper and/or closer to home. It's nice knowing I already have an acceptance.

My question is whether or not this is standard waitlist policy at KCOM- are all waitlisted applicants accepted for the following year? Kinda weird - not that I'm complaining!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait a minute....I got the same letter and it stated that "being on the alternate list in no way guarantees a seat in a future class". Did your letter specifically say "wait list" or "alternate"? Are these two separate lists--waiting list and alternate list? What is going on, here?

Very confused, waiting and really wanting to go to KCOM,
Dave

I also know of someone who was accepted for NEXT (2001) year's class. Would someone from KCOM care to explain why and how KCOM accepts students this far in advance and what the exact policy is. I am just curious. Where is OMD when we need him!

-Joshua

Members don't see this ad :)
I had received the same letter (accepted for 2001) last week. I called the school to know more. They told me that they had set a postmark deadline of May 1 for those people who had already received a letter of acceptance (for 2000). They also stated that they would be notifying me if I got accepted by sometime this week. (week beginning 8 May)

I received a call on Friday (5 May) saying that I was accepted to the class of 2000. So I look forward to meeting whoever else is getting in.

I think KCOM can do this because they know that many people will decide to go to other schools. I also am speculating that the list of people that they accept into the class of 2001 is short.

Sorry if this post is convoluted. I am very tired.

Steve

there's a kcom student website where some of their students discuss stuff on their forum.

it's at http://www.kcomstudents.org/

you might find some student answers there.

Well, I am a KCOM student, MS-1; and this is news to me. When I applied, I understood it that "if" you made the alternate list and did not get in...you had a guaranteed seat next go round. However, on a posting string very similar to this, in fact, I think Monkey may have started it, a classmate of mine had checked with the admission people and was told the "guaranteed seat" policy had been discontinued with my class.

There may be some distinction between "wait list" & "alternate list" that we are not aware of. I will try to ask Lori Haxton about it...although, we are entering finals; so, I don't promise any immediate response. However, I am certain that if you called admissions and asked for Lori or Virginia, they could easily clarify all of this.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Well, I received the very same letter that Monkey did last year. The next thing I got was a rejection letter after classes had started.

[This message has been edited by ChillyWill (edited 06-07-2000).]

Well....that's just GREAT!! Okay, new question: I have applied twice now. The first time--nothing, not even an interview. The second time, two interviews that resulted in one outright rejection and one "alternate-no-you-cannot-be-accepted-for-2001" letter. Is it worth my time (and money) to apply again, or should I just go to graduate school, get my Master's and then re-evaluate my medical school options?

I really want to go to medical school, but that's not what's important. What's important is what my application says about my academic past and how it shows what potential I may have to be a successful med student. Should I take the results of the past two years as a hint, move on and apply again after grad school? Or should I try again with basically the same application as last year??