KCU Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 2 users
sooo for MSK, are these materials sufficient...any other recommendations? Olinger atlas, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Essential Anatomy app...and maybe Netter's flash cards?

also, should I get some crappy scrubs for the MSK labs or does washing them preserve them if I pay more for better ones?

It helped me to buy a big box of colored pencils and draw everything out. It makes it a lot easier to identify structures in the lab when you already have an image in your mind of what goes together, even if it's just a cartoon. I struggled with practicals because if a structure looked at all different from what I'd seen in lab, I'd panic. Drawing out the branches of different arteries, etc and color-coding them helped me develop a logical approach ("I haven't seen this exact cadaver before, but this structure is A, which means this has to be B... ") etc.

90% of people do really well in anatomy and practicals end up being a big grade booster. You're probably going to do great! For the other 10% (including myself) it's a tough process. Whatever you do, DO NOT get down on yourself. I wanted to drop out of school last April because I sucked so hard at anatomy and I didn't think I was cut out for medical school. Then I discovered pathology and fell completely in love with it. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to ignore the endless processional of classmates saying "Anatomy is so easy! I can't believe anyone didn't get an A on this practical!" Those people suck and their egos will, luckily, deflate significantly once MOD starts.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed, anatomy practicals were a pain for me. Idk about 10%, I think at least 30% of most classes have people who just aren't good at identifying random minute structures on a body that is legitimately dried and ripped up by the time you have practicals. Honestly though, half of practicals are about finding out what structures are high yield though. And they will honestly tell you what to look for half of the time. Just don't spend lab time cutting and being a weirdo.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
sooo for MSK, are these materials sufficient...any other recommendations? Olinger atlas, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Essential Anatomy app...and maybe Netter's flash cards?

also, should I get some crappy scrubs for the MSK labs or does washing them preserve them if I pay more for better ones?

One of the toughest parts of med school is simply how many resources available out there. Anatomy is one of those subjects where there's a lot of things that can help, you just have to find which work for you!

Things I recommend:
- Find an anatomy tutor who is helpful and matches your schedule well

- Draw things out, find a coloring book, or look for good figures and learn the "theoretical" location of each thing on the list. This will be your fall back during practicals when you might not recognize something.

- Go down to the lab with friends or people you study with - in my opinion, going down there and being able to laugh about things and teach each other was one of my favorite parts of anatomy.

- And perhaps most importantly, remember that these people donated their bodies to us. Be respectful, pay attention in lab, and make the most of it! Dissecting that cadaver was an amazing but emotional experience.

Admittedly, I was one of those people who really enjoyed anatomy and seeing where everything lies in the body. If you struggle with it or any part of the class, don't be afraid to reach out for help! But also take time to figure out what might work best for you, and you will be okay! Good luck finishing up immuno and starting MSK!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed, anatomy practicals were a pain for me. Idk about 10%, I think at least 30% of most classes have people who just aren't good at identifying random minute structures on a body that is legitimately dried and ripped up by the time you have practicals. Honestly though, half of practicals are about finding out what structures are high yield though. And they will honestly tell you what to look for half of the time. Just don't spend lab time cutting and being a weirdo.

I always felt like anatomy lab brought out the worst in people. Conversations went one of three ways:
1- "I mean, I tutored Anatomy in undergrad, so I'm like extremely good at it"
2- "Do you think the fact that I got a 48/50 on the practical will hold me back from matching Ortho?
3- "What do you mean, you haven't memorized all of these arteries we just got this morning? Aren't you so worried about that? I'm so worried for you. Except like, obviously I want the average to be like, really low, so I'm not going to teach you anything."

I always felt like anatomy lab brought out the worst in people. Conversations went one of three ways:
2- "Do you think the fact that I got a 48/50 on the practical will hold me back from matching Ortho?
3- "What do you mean, you haven't memorized all of these arteries we just got this morning? Aren't you so worried about that? I'm so worried for you. Except like, obviously I want the average to be like, really low, so I'm not going to teach you anything."

Hopefully the class of 2020 will keep up their helpfulness and optimism into anatomy lab, and no one will have to hear these horrible things we had to endure. *crosses fingers*

Reactions: 1 user

There were ALOT of cocky people who thought just because they were good at anatomy they were going to KILL Med school, then MOD1/2 happened.

Hopefully the class of 2020 will keep up their helpfulness and optimism into anatomy lab, and no one will have to hear these horrible things we had to endure. *crosses fingers*

There were ALOT of cocky people who thought just because they were good at anatomy they were going to KILL Med school, then MOD1/2 happened.

That moment was so, so sweet when it happened. *nostalgic sigh*

Honestly the vast majority of people are helpful and nice. The cocky ones were just so ... Loud. Haha

Reactions: 3 users
That moment was so, so sweet when it happened. *nostalgic sigh*

Honestly the vast majority of people are helpful and nice. The cocky ones were just so ... Loud. Haha

Not gonna lie, but not having anatomy as a time sink has done good to my overall health and grade. Though Pharm is frankly the new anatomy.

Thanks so much to everyone on their advice and feedback concerning MSK. I'm definitely preparing myself for the big learning curve it will be, but hey that's why we're all here!

I've concluded that we will never be getting our neuro final grades XD

Members don't see this ad :)
I kinda am a bit peeved at the curve now tho. I undershot the next letter grade by like 1 or 2 points.

#gunning

So today I have discovered that everyone wants to go to Florida.

So today I have discovered that everyone wants to go to Florida.
Of course, didn't you know that going to the beach daily is part of clinical rotations? There are some aspects of the florida rotations that are intriguing but I definitely do not want to go there. They can keep their alligators and pythons, I want no part of that.

Did they not teach cranial that well this year or something?

I've gotten a few people asking for study guides on it.

As a 3rd year I threw that stuff in the trash long ago.

Did they not teach cranial that well this year or something?

I've gotten a few people asking for study guides on it.

As a 3rd year I threw that stuff in the trash long ago.

I believe it. I think in general we're asking due to the possibility that someone made a concise review of cranial that will help us get the maximum of the concept ( And points) down.

I believe it. I think in general we're asking due to the possibility that someone made a concise review of cranial that will help us get the maximum of the concept ( And points) down.

This is one of those times where singing "you put your right hand in, you out your right out" might actually help me visual all these motions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably the most exhausting section ever.

Definitely don't feel comfortable with this stuff still. There's so much material and there's a lot of open endness with regards to where they want us to focus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly I spent half of the week trying to get down nephrotic v.s nephritis dz, throw in cancers and interstitial tubular dz and it literally is a gigantic mess. Now also throw in that 20% of our test is a physiology that none of us remember and it's borderline tragic.

Like I'm really at the point where I'm going to call it quits at 10pm because there's no winning. Like why did they even give us Labor day weekend off? Just tell us up front we expect you to legitimately spend that whole weekend relearning first year renal.

It was a real hardcore bull**** test tho. Pathophysiology was not reasonable half of the time.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Puthoff had a lot of trcky questions this time :(

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I personally felt like it was very difficult to parse out what his major emphasis was from the beginning of the class. Also the cancers were for the most part largely homogenous except for minute details. A lot of the questions also had their emphasis being towards a very minor and potentially impractical detail.

This weekend I've found that there's something worse than being overwhelmed during the weekend before a big test, and that's being confused during the weekend before a big test. Haha

This weekend I've found that there's something worse than being overwhelmed during the weekend before a big test, and that's being confused during the weekend before a big test. Haha

I may have finally related to some people in our class who spend the weekend before the test playing video games and watching soaps.

Getting kinda tired of the OS thing.

I'm ok with it. I'd rather something that I won't be tested on for nearly a month happen after a test than something I'd need to be tested on in 2 weeks.