KCU-Joplin vs. ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snuppy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I've been accepted to KCU-Joplin and I've paid them one deposit with another deposit coming up. I've also recently been accepted pending an open seat to ATSU-KCOM. I was just hoping for some guidance about what to do here. I think that KCU-Joplin could have some exciting opportunities, but I'm hesitant because I feel like there is not very much information about the school since it is brand new. And I don't know if I should base my expectations for Joplin based on what I know of the Kansas City school. ATSU-KCOM is wonderful and I really loved the school, but if I choose them definitively, I could end up having to wait until 2018 to start. ATSU-KCOM is also more expensive than KCU. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,

I've been accepted to KCU-Joplin and I've paid them one deposit with another deposit coming up. I've also recently been accepted pending an open seat to ATSU-KCOM. I was just hoping for some guidance about what to do here. I think that KCU-Joplin could have some exciting opportunities, but I'm hesitant because I feel like there is not very much information about the school since it is brand new. And I don't know if I should base my expectations for Joplin based on what I know of the Kansas City school. ATSU-KCOM is wonderful and I really loved the school, but if I choose them definitively, I could end up having to wait until 2018 to start. ATSU-KCOM is also more expensive than KCU. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

KCU Joplin is a new school in the end. Yes it had the exact same curriculum and it's professors are currently training with the KC campus professors, but there will likely still be some bumps in the road (though far few then other new schools). Kirksville being the founding DO school makes them hard to beat, but the Joplin campus will have a lot their rotations at two hospitals in Joplin with a number of residencies so in that aspect they may be better than the KC campus. Ultimately I would rather start med school now rather than wait a year. Best of luck!

KCU Joplin is a new school in the end. Yes it had the exact same curriculum and it's professors are currently training with the KC campus professors, but there will likely still be some bumps in the road (though far few then other new schools). Kirksville being the founding DO school makes them hard to beat, but the Joplin campus will have a lot their rotations at two hospitals in Joplin with a number of residencies so in that aspect they may be better than the KC campus. Ultimately I would rather start med school now rather than wait a year. Best of luck!
Thank you for your input! I appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad :)

How does that make the rotations in Joplin better in terms of teaching their students though? IMO, I only see the closeness of the rotations as being convenient, along with wanting to stay in the region during residency.

As for OP question, I would want to start right now and not have to wait another agonizing year for a second round of applications.

How does that make the rotations in Joplin better in terms of teaching their students though? IMO, I only see the closeness of the rotations as being convenient, along with wanting to stay in the region during residency.

As for OP question, I would want to start right now and not have to wait another agonizing year for a second round of applications.

Only better in that they have mainly wards based rotations (with residents). The new agreement with that hospital group in KC should lead to more wards based rotations for KC campus so shouldn't be any issue shortly.

Only better in that they have mainly wards based rotations (with residents). The new agreement with that hospital group in KC should lead to more wards based rotations for KC campus so shouldn't be any issue shortly.
Oh alright I see now. KC should be able to rotate there too right and Joplin with KC sites?

Oh alright I see now. KC should be able to rotate there too right and Joplin with KC sites?

I saw on the KCU threads that the incoming students from KC will not be able to rotate at the Joplin sites (I guess starting in 2019-2020 school year?). It will be exclusive to Joplin students. I think that's part of the reason they are adding the KC locations for KC students.

KCOM rotates at those Joplin hospitals however, and I doubt it would change after the Joplin students begin.

KCOM rotates at those Joplin hospitals however, and I doubt it would change after the Joplin students begin.
I toured the Joplin site as a potential for my 3rd and 4th year at KCOM. The lady told us that next year's KCOM class (more specifically, the class of 2020) will be the last time they take KCOM students at Freeman because of KCUMB. So if being in Joplin is something you're interested in, there are some long odds against you in choosing KCOM as they're not likely to reverse that decision.