KCU-Joplin vs Des Moines University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILoveJeremyGuthrie11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to both KCU-Joplin and DMU. The only issue is that I am really torn between which one to attend.

Reasons to choose KCU:
  • Four hours closer to me than DMU
  • Student ambassadors seemed friendlier and more enthusiastic about the school than those at DMU.
  • Third year rotations at Freeman and Mercy Joplin near the school, whereas DMU sends some students somewhat far away.
  • KCU's curriculum of normal systems first year followed by abnormal systems second year seems more appealing to me right now than DMU's curriculum.
  • Doesn't emphasize OMM as heavy as DMU.
  • Smaller class size than DMU.
  • Cost of living in Joplin is cheaper than Des Moines
Reasons to choose DMU:
  • DMU has higher average USMLE scores than KCU (I think).
  • DMU has been consistently above the national average on COMLEX Level 2-PE and Level 3, while KCU has been consistently below the national average on those two board exams.
  • Students from other colleges and degree fields on campus - provides a bigger campus feel.
  • Have the chance to rotate in larger hospitals than in Joplin.
  • Des Moines has a lot more to offer than Joplin.
  • I have heard that DMU students seem to be less stressed out and have fewer mental health issues due to the rigor of the curriculum.
So, as you can see, I am very torn between the two schools. I know both will prepare me well, but it seems like DMU has higher boards in both USMLE and COMLEX, but KCU-Joplin is much closer to my family, although in a smaller city with much less to do.

I really appreciate any insight or advice in making this decision!

Members don't see this ad.

For one, dont worry about level 3 scores. All that matters is that you pass. And this test you take during residency, so your school doesnt really affect that.
I also noticed that DMU doesnt post their average scores that I could find

Definitely dont worry about things to do, you won't have time. Just being honest!

All in all, pick the school that felt most right for you. You'll be spending at least the next two years there.

Reactions: 1 user
For one, dont worry about level 3 scores. All that matters is that you pass. And this test you take during residency, so your school doesnt really affect that.
I also noticed that DMU doesnt post their average scores that I could find

Definitely dont worry about things to do, you won't have time. Just being honest!

All in all, pick the school that felt most right for you. You'll be spending at least the next two years there.

I really appreciate the response! I know you attend KCU-Joplin, so you might have somewhat of a bias, but do you think that one school would prepare me any better than the other? For DMU's boards I was just looking at first-time pass rate compared to the national average. Just based off the interview day, KCU seemed like a better fit for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate the response! I know you attend KCU-Joplin, so you might have somewhat of a bias, but do you think that one school would prepare me any better than the other? For DMU's boards I was just looking at first-time pass rate compared to the national average. Just based off the interview day, KCU seemed like a better fit for me.
Both are good schools. Like I said, fit is important. KCU does post their board scores and their average is higher than the national mean, but I don't know their USMLE scores.

Speaking for KCU-Joplin. We have a fantastic student services staff, and a psychologist on site for any issues. I actually think they are in the process of hiring another.

Both are good schools. Like I said, fit is important. KCU does post their board scores and their average is higher than the national mean, but I don't know their USMLE scores.

Speaking for KCU-Joplin. We have a fantastic student services staff, and a psychologist on site for any issues. I actually think they are in the process of hiring another.

I agree that both are definitely good schools. The staff and students on my interview day in Joplin were fantastic, and the student ambassadors at KCU made me feel much more excited to go to KCU than the students at DMU (not trying to hate on DMU students, they were very nice and helpful as well).

I guess the thing I am most concerned about is if I decide in the future that I want to do a more competitive specialty (currently thinking IM), which school would do a better job of getting me into that competitive residency. Honestly, both schools would probably prepare me equally as well and I am just worried about small details.

I strongly DIS-prefer branch campuses. Also, I really loved DMU and Des Moines when I interviewed there. I ended up going to NSU to stay in Florida. But I struggled with the decision down to the last hour of the last day the 2nd deposit was due at DMU.

I strongly DIS-prefer branch campuses. Also, I really loved DMU and Des Moines when I interviewed there. I ended up going to NSU to stay in Florida. But I struggled with the decision down to the last hour of the last day the 2nd deposit was due at DMU.

What is your reason for disliking branch campuses? Do you feel that the education there will be worse than the original campus? I apologize for all the questions. I am just trying to get an idea of the best school for me to go to. I appreciate your help!

DMU. I’m not sure what KCU will look like in a few years but if you arent 100% sure about KCU I would choose DMU. The curriculum here is definitely something you need to be 100% about or you won’t last.

DMU. This last year they had about 90% of their match list at ACGME programs, with very few pre-lims. They encourage you to take the USMLE, and their students do well on it. They are doing something right.

KCU has been going downhill since Dubin left from what multiple of my friends there are telling me. I would avoid it currently. Someone also said that the dedicated board time was being cut down.

DMU. This last year they had about 90% of their match list at ACGME programs, with very few pre-lims. They encourage you to take the USMLE, and their students do well on it. They are doing something right.

KCU has been going downhill since Dubin left from what multiple of my friends there are telling me. I would avoid it currently. Someone also said that the dedicated board time was being cut down.

In what ways has KCU been going downhill? Lower board scores, worse match rates/placements, student happiness, or all of the above? I have talked to a few of my friends there, and they seem to be happy with it, but of course n=4.

Also, are you concerned at all with Dean Ripley leaving DMU? I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make on the school. I just know from my interview day that it seemed like he was very invested in the students.

In what ways has KCU been going downhill? Lower board scores, worse match rates/placements, student happiness, or all of the above? I have talked to a few of my friends there, and they seem to be happy with it, but of course n=4.
I haven't really heard this opinion from many people. If board study time is being cut, that is definitely concerning, although I also haven't heard this at all from anyone. The match list is pretty solid. It's a tough curriculum, so it's easy to get stressed out and hate the school. The problems I've heard people share about KCU are problems you'll find at most DO schools, in my opinion. Choose the school that you feel most comfortable with: I would be miserable if I was in a semester system like at DMU, so I'm glad I'm at KCU with a block system. It's honestly a personal choice between those two.

I haven't really heard this opinion from many people. If board study time is being cut, that is definitely concerning, although I also haven't heard this at all from anyone. The match list is pretty solid. It's a tough curriculum, so it's easy to get stressed out and hate the school. The problems I've heard people share about KCU are problems you'll find at most DO schools, in my opinion. Choose the school that you feel most comfortable with: I would be miserable if I was in a semester system like at DMU, so I'm glad I'm at KCU with a block system. It's honestly a personal choice between those two.

Someone at KCU-Joplin did tell me that their dedicated board time was being cut down. He said that it is to prepare the students more for COMLEX-2 PE instead of COMLEX-1 and COMLEX-2 CE since KCU does well on those but scores at or below the average on the PE.

Why would you be miserable in the semester system vs the block system?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you be miserable in the semester system vs the block system?
Because it would be easy for me to fall behind because exams wouldn't be as often, and I would hate to have all of my finals together in one week. I like the block system because it keeps me on track with my studies and we don't have that dreaded finals week.

DMU is block system next year... Accepted student, and thats what my interviewers said. We spoke about it for about 20 mins they are excited about it.

DMU is block system next year... Accepted student, and thats what my interviewers said. We spoke about it for about 20 mins they are excited about it.
Yeah, 6 weeks or so of material, big test, and potential 1 week off after is what they said, if i recall correctly

If NSU accepts me next week its going to be awkward because I lived ten mins from Nova my entire life...
Does anyone know more about DMU clinical options?

Blocks will have time for remediation built in. So if you pass you have a couple days open. You can keep studying or move on etc.

How they described it was a week off from school with opportunities to take elective courses if you wanted to
That's actually really nice and probably improves the burnout rate in their students a lot. This would be a huge pro for me if I was considering DMU.

Reactions: 1 users
How they described it was a week off from school with opportunities to take elective courses if you wanted to
In thinking about this, I realized something: does this mean summer is basically non-existent? If you have a week off every 6 weeks, that has to cut into break time somewhere..

In thinking about this, I realized something: does this mean summer is basically non-existent? If you have a week off every 6 weeks, that has to cut into break time somewhere..
They didn't mention anything about summer break being cut, nor time cutting into board prep