KCU-KC vs Marian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelr.93

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I got into both KCU and Marian. I was hoping for some feedback from either student or alumni at either schools. I liked both campuses. A little bit about me I am from Indianapolis and I am not terribly certain in what I would like to do a residency in currently but I am interested in Anesthesia, IM, GS, orthopedics, Psych, and EM. I have looked at the most recent residency matches for both schools and KCU does seem to match better. I attached a pro and con list that I have come up with and the match data provided on SDN for KCU and Marian.

KCUMarian
ProsConsneutral/same for both schoolsProsCons
old schoolranked with Joplin making class size 450Gradedclass size 150not as old
Own residencieswill need to likely move for rotationsCOMLEX Scoresfamily+friends live hereno residencies
new sim center8+ hr drive homeRegular-priced tuitionrotations within 60 mi of Indianapoliscatholic school
Better matchresearch quantity/qualityPrimary Care Shortage Area Scholarship-possible 15k scholarship, have to do IM or psychThe scholarship comes with 4-year commitment or payback

1590946006145.png

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1590945911746.png
    1590945911746.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 75
Since these are DO schools, this will be better suited in the DO forum.

I would say KCU though, unless being near to home is REALLY important to you.

Which school did you prefer?

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

honestly, I did not have a strong preference for one over the other. But I have recently talked with Marian's financial aid and they said that the scholarship is given to anyone who wants it/meets the criteria (ie Indiana resident/etc). So it would make Marian 15k cheaper per year and if I were to do IM assuming I match residency into a county that meets the high needs category the time commitment starts then. Also if I were to match into another residency I would just have to pay it back.

Reactions: 1 user
If being close to your family and support system matters, then I would say Marian. And if you ultimately decide to go IM, then you would have saved money.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile