KCU vs DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Booryan

Reaction score
I've been accepted to both schools and need to decide which to make my deposit to soon. It seems like both schools have reputable curriculums and are some of the oldest DO programs. I grew up in WA state and did my undergrad in Utah so I am not familiar with either area.
I may want to do primary care, but would like to keep my options open. It seems like DMU prides themselves on producing primary care physicians so I wouldn't want to be pressured into it if I went there.
My primary thoughts are leaning towards KCU because I liked their virtual interview day more and it seems to be cheaper.
I like sports (both watching and playing) and snowboarding (seems impossible at both places, actually).
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good schools. Go to where ever is cheaper. I would personally go to KCU because they have lots of associated residencies

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with drstranger, I am from the west and did undergrad in KC and currently attend an original DO school in the midwest. KCU gives you access to residency programs ----> research opportunities if you wish to go for that. Personally, I would take KC over Des Moines any day of the week. Most of medical school (MD and DO alike) is what you make of it anyway so if you want primary care or want to specialize, being proactive will get you going in the right direction.

DMU is definitely not going to pressure you into primary care :) most people in my class are not interested in primary care lol. Feel free to pm me with any questions! Best of luck wherever you end up!

Personally, I feel that KCU supports you well as a student, and KC is a nice place to live in, COVID-19 notwithstanding.