KCU vs NYU vs Midwestern-IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymisst

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Private schools for both, I am from Cali, OOS

Kansas City University (KCU):
Pros: - 1st-year tuition $98010, 2nd year unknown, slightly higher according to email.
- P/F
- small class size -88
- rural, cheap living expense
- new facility and equipment
- lots of chances to do complex cases, no specialty program
- potential large patient pool, Joplin campus located in the middle of 4 states
- well communication with admission
- opportunities to build clubs, volunteer, etc.

Cons: - brand new school, inaugural class, won't be accredited till I graduate. Have a DO school established
- located in Joplin, a small town, 2.5hrs to Kansas City.
- lots of unknowns

NYU:
Pros: - well established, diversity
- city life, no need for a car
- large patient pool

Cons: - large class size about 360-400, will break down around 28 students per group
- expensive living expense, poss end up with 700K when out.
- grade

Summary: I want to be GP only, don't mind the large class size. The cost of attendance does influence my choice, I will need to take the full amount of the loan plus living expenses. I plan to apply for 3 years of HPSP or NHSC, but nothing is guaranteed now. Any advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Holy crap NYU is expensive, honestly, I would be more interested in KCU, smaller class size and less expensive. I don't know anything about the schools though.

Last edited:
Is that a typo or is Joplin $98k per year?? That seems way too high for a new private school but hey, if Midwestern and AT Still are charging it why shouldn’t they? 🙄

Cost of living will be much lower than New York City. Would probably still lean towards Joplin if you’re ok with rural living but indeed lots of unknowns with a new school. Could be better, custom education than NYU could be worse. Tough choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not high at all for a Private school. I would go with KCU. Trust me you don't want to be crippled with debt paying those NYU loans back for 20 years. Please, do NOT go to NYU if you have other options, or if someone else is paying for it. Those would be the only 2 reasons I would go. Small class size will be great, even if NYU is taken down to ~28 students it's still a huge class. And yes, no guarantee on HPSP or NHSC. Assume you won't get it, and if you do, GREAT!

Even if clinicals arent great, you have GPR/AEGD or CE credits to make up for it. So I wouldn't focus so much on that. Get in, get out, and get the degree as cheaply as possible. You all learn the same thing and will catch up quickly once you start actually working in a clinic which you can make up for loss of knowledge with CE, which is far cheaper than going to an expensive school.

Reactions: 1 users
Private schools for both, I am from Cali, OOS

Kansas City University (KCU):
Pros: - 1st-year tuition $98010, 2nd year unknown, slightly higher according to email.
- P/F
- small class size -88
- rural, cheap living expense
- new facility and equipment
- lots of chances to do complex cases, no specialty program
- potential large patient pool, Joplin campus located in the middle of 4 states
- well communication with admission
- opportunities to build clubs, volunteer, etc.

Cons: - brand new school, inaugural class, won't be accredited till I graduate. Have a DO school established
- located in Joplin, a small town, 2.5hrs to Kansas City.
- lots of unknowns

NYU:
Pros: - well established, diversity
- city life, no need for a car
- large patient pool

Cons: - large class size about 360-400, will break down around 28 students per group
- expensive living expense, poss end up with 700K when out.
- grade

Summary: I want to be GP only, don't mind the large class size. The cost of attendance does influence my choice, I will need to take the full amount of the loan plus living expenses. I plan to apply for 3 years of HPSP or NHSC, but nothing is guaranteed now. Any advice is welcome.
Hi, which did you choose?