KCU vs. Touro-Middletown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am accepted in KCU and Touro-middletown. Since both schools have their deposits due within two weeks, I have to make a decision between these 2 campuses. (1k for KCU, 2k for touro).

From my interviews, I think the rigorous curriculum from KCU would prepare me better than Touro. I also liked Kansas City. Unfortunately, I don't know if I want to spend the next 3+ years in the midwest area. I am from CA, and I just think Kansas City is not a convenient location at all.

For Touro-middletown. While I think the flip classroom is interesting, I have a feeling that this school has lot of kinks to work out for this new campus. (curriculum and adminstration). One good thing about this campus is that there is a dedicated medical center for its 3rd year rotations. Location wise, 1.5 hr from NYC is a huge plus, but the town is pretty rural. Compared to Kansas city, I rather live in the tri-state area.

The cost of attending is about the same for both campus, $70k/year.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

KCU!

I just have a feeling going to KCU puts you in wonderful hands in the future, from the great rotation sites to residencies to the curriculum that will help you own the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deli food or barbecue?????

Currently, I am accepted in KCU and Touro-middletown. Since both schools have their deposits due within two weeks, I have to make a decision between these 2 campuses. (1k for KCU, 2k for touro).

From my interviews, I think the rigorous curriculum from KCU would prepare me better than Touro. I also liked Kansas City. Unfortunately, I don't know if I want to spend the next 3+ years in the midwest area. I am from CA, and I just think Kansas City is not a convenient location at all.

For Touro-middletown. While I think the flip classroom is interesting, I have a feeling that this school has lot of kinks to work out for this new campus. (curriculum and adminstration). One good thing about this campus is that there is a dedicated medical center for its 3rd year rotations. Location wise, 1.5 hr from NYC is a huge plus, but the town is pretty rural. Compared to Kansas city, I rather live in the tri-state area.

The cost of attending is about the same for both campus, $70k/year.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
I can't comment on KCU, but I do think it's worth pointing out that I don't think there's a guarantee that all of 3rd year would be at ORMC. There are a handful or so of hospitals in the Hudson Valley region that they're affiliated with - I did not get the impression that everyone does the entire 3rd year at that single affiliated hospital. Might be worth calling Frank and asking if that's a deciding factor for you?

Can I start by saying that you're not going to be heading into NYC. An hour and a half away is a long distance for a medical school student and you'll be able to head in once a month if you're really even wanting to do that. Secondly if you think Kansas City is out of the way, then you'll probably think it's hell living in a rural town in the middle of nowhere.
Secondly Kansas City is a very livable city. I'm from a large city and I think that it has a lot of amenities in it to make me really enjoy living here. There's a good selection of restaurants, there's very close shopping strips and outlet malls, and there's a very walker friendly downtown that has a nice selection of places to go to after a final.

Overall you're really talking about whether or not you want to go to a small branch campus in a rural town versus going to one of the first osteopathic medical schools in the country in a very lovely city with plenty of the stuff that you likely are used to enjoying as a coaster.

Reactions: 1 user