KCUCOM (Joplin) vs NYITCOM (Long Island) vs RowanSOM (Stratford) vs DMUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imtheguyforthat22

Reaction score
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Things to Consider:

- I’m from NY and plan to return to Upstate NY for residency.

- Research isn’t a must, I plan to do research during my breaks in home town.

- I would prefer a close-knit class. The smaller the size the better, and would love to be close with the faculty. I want to be at a place where I can make connections. Studying with friends at libraries, coffee shops, hiking, etc.

- I would like an area that has some diversity and things to do in my free time. I would like to see other students not studying medicine on campus. Would love to get involved in the community. A student-led clinic would be awesome!

- Not a must, but would be nice to be closer to NY

At the end of the day, I’m looking for a school that will give me the best opportunity for a competitive specialty. A school that will make my pre-clinical years less stressful and the place that will best prepare me for the boards. Specifically in NY or the northeast region.

I have been accepted to KCU and NYIT. Waiting to hear back from DMU and Rowan.

Some other questions that I have are..
  1. How did you feel about the rotations sites (3rd and 4th) and making connections for residency?
  2. How do you feel about the match list? Any popular specialties?
  3. In what region of the country do most students end up doing their residency?
  4. How difficult was it to make your group of friends? Or did the majority of people prefer to be alone?
  5. How supportive was the staff?
  6. How much is OMM emphasized?
  7. How was the overall learning environment? Competitive?
  8. Did you ever feel “alone”? Did the class size affect this?
  9. Thoughts on the curriculum? Do you like it?
  10. How’s the town? Are there cafes and good places to eat? To study?
  11. How solid is the gym?
  12. How was it when you guys prepped for boards? Did you feel supported? Was there a high % pass rate?
  13. What’s the attrition rate like? How many students do you see leave or repeat years?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a current student or graduate of those schools. However, if you get into Rowan, that meets many of the things you are looking for. They are close to NY and have had residency matches to Buffalo, Albany, Rochester and Valhalla. Research opportunities are there even though that’s not a requirement and the school is a public state one. Those tend to be the top DO programs.

They also have a student run free clinic, are right next to Philly and have a P/F curriculum to make it less stressful. Still consider your other options if they are cheaper, but Rowan hits a lot of the stuff that was important to you.

I do think NYITCOM is probably your best bet if you want to hit upstate New York. In terms of rotations, you will be better off if you go to somewhere closer to the region you want to practice in and NYITCOM is one of the more established schools. Also, you only need to be on campus 1-2 times a week during pre-clinical years so its a huge benefit. Extremely strong alumni network at NYITCOM, as well.