KCUMB and DMU: The ultimate showdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dissected

All bleeding stops eventually
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so Ive got a huge decision to make. Im in the envious position of picking between KCUMB and DMU, and I'm having problems. Every day this past week I have been alternating on which school I want to send my deposit to and its driving me crazy. I am not asking anyone to make decisions for me, nor will my decision be based purely on SDN jabber. I just want to see if anyone has some advice or information that I don't know about either of these schools. Here's where Im coming from:

-yes I got the "feeling" at both of these places, and it was special
-they are about the same price when all is said and done
-their board pass rates and all of that good stuff are very comparable
-KCUMB is in a little bit cooler of a town, but Im really not looking for a place to go and paint the town red...in other words the location is not really a factor between these two
-The genesis (integrated) curriculum at KCUMB seemed like a great concept, and I was very intrigued. would it be more effective than DMU's curriculum though?
-DMU's facilities were nicer...but does the surgical skills lab and all that extra stuff actually help all that much?
-Im not interested in international rotations at this point, so I don't really care which one is stronger in this area

Questions I have:
-If things go well down the road I might consider general surgery, will either place possibly give me a leg up in this route?
-I have NO idea how to compare the quality of rotations at these schools. They are both very old and very established and thats all I have to go off of.
-If you are reading this, attend either of these schools, and have completed any rotations can you tell me about your experiences???

Thanks in advance,
DokB

Members don't see this ad.

I dont care what you say. We WILL paint the town red!

Having interviewed at both, I would have to say DMU hands down...the facilities seemed newer and nicer, the surrounding city was cleaner and less gritty, students at DMU seemed more satisfied with their choice of school and were more pleased with how the school was being run, you can wear whatever you want, etc.

I got "the feeling" at DMU but not at KCUMB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which school has hotter chicks?

Which school gives more support? (Notetaking services, tutoring, responsive administration, etc)

Think about student atmosphere. Think about the quality of the students.

Which school has better rotations, either quality-wise or location-wise

Write it down on paper. PROs and CONs

@ KCUMB a few more people do specialties outside of primary care than DMU...though I am certain you can get a surgical residency out of DMU. The facilities at DMU were top notch (educational ie. the dummies and non-educational i.e. workout facilities) and the location of the school would have been a big draw for me. Seems like at KCUMB you are either on the campus or at the CT, not much else to do in that neighborhood. if you are truly interested in surgery, i would call both schools and ask them a few q's about their sugical rotations and maybe look over the bios of the surgery faculty (i believe the dean at DMU is a surgeon). GL! btw my vote for DMU

I don't know anything about KCUMB, but I would think if you want to go into general surgery, the surgical skills lab at DMU would really benefit you. You'll probably get way more out of your surgical rotations once you've completed the course compared to students who didn't have that opportunity.

no room for CCOM in this showdown?

too expensive :(

gotta think about student loans in the future, it would be at least a $50k difference in the end.

really? I thought that KCUMB's tuition was pretty close to CCOM. I remember DMU being noticeably less expensive though.

yeah i had a similar decision to make
i'm hoping the quality of rotations makes up for the difference in price
i also felt like ccom offered better research opportunities, which may or may not be something that matters to you
but hey, i dont want to side track this from KCUMB vs DMU
of those 2 i'd choose DMU, specially if you want to go into surgery
the surgical skills lab, although it may seem minor, could make a difference

CCOM is 4K more expensive for OOS (40K vs 44K)
DMU is 34K, for OOS or IS
and KCUMB is 39K for OOS or IS

I've been accepted at both KCUMB & CCOM, but with higher costs of living and everything CCOM is definately more expensive.

Between KCUMB and DMU. I interviewed at both and really liked both schools. DMU is my top choice (and I got waitlisted! BUMMER!), but I knew that before I even started applying because my dad lives in Des Moines and that'd be very convenient. haha.

SO! KCUMB it is for me. but, my vote is DMU. I love the school, but i have since I first toured there 2.5 years ago. You really have to look at both and what YOU want. They are both excellent schools. Be thankful you have the decision to make!:)

i dont think ccom would be that much more expensive over 4 years compared to kcumb
tuition diff is 5K, but other than that it should pretty much be the same
as long as you know how to control your spending...etc

I'm just a pre-med, so I don't know much. But I think DMU would be a better choice. For one, it's more well known. Pretty much every osteopathic physician thinks PCOM, CCOM, and DMU are among the best DO schools (There are other good schools, too, including KCUMB). So it's pretty well known. Additionally, if you want to be a surgeon, you get that second year surgical class at DMU, which I have heard prepares you well for rotations. Moreover, if you do well in this class, you can become a surgical TA, which I'd think would look good on your resume.

Also, DMU is hardcore about OMT, so I don't know if you are interested in that.

However, if you look at KCUMB's match list vs DMU's, KCUMB seems to have much more surgeons, especially ENT's - KCUMB took like 10 of the 20 available ENT spots a few years back. Also, KCUMB has a anatomy fellowship, which, like the surgical TA spot at DMU, can help give you an edge, but the fellowship is much harder to get.

I don't know why KCUMB has more surgeons. Maybe interest levels of the students? Nevertheless, you can become a surgeon at either place.

I just counted the number of surgeons from KCUMB last year (all different kinds) and it was 30! which is nuts. Anyone that goes to KCUMB know why this is? Do people just want to be surgeons there? Or, like, the program directors for our surgical programs KCUMB graduates?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input everyone! after much deliberation I have chosen DMU!!! There was just something about it that made me love that place and I am SO EXCITED. Good luck to all of you still figuring things out, Im rooting for ya!

DokB