KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was the title of the book that KCUMB suggested that we buy this summer? I forgot what it was and would like to get my hands on it. If anyone has the title and author that would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

kumark13 said:
What was the title of the book that KCUMB suggested that we buy this summer? I forgot what it was and would like to get my hands on it. If anyone has the title and author that would be great. Thanks
I didn't hear about a suggested book for this summer, but if I had to guess, I would guess it is the Medical Terminology book? If so, I think I'm skipping that one, I can find medical terminology information on the net.

med-i-cal said:
I didn't hear about a suggested book for this summer, but if I had to guess, I would guess it is the Medical Terminology book? If so, I think I'm skipping that one, I can find medical terminology information on the net.

yea. that book. it was suggested in the acceptance letter I think, But that is in a different state than I am and still would like to know the title if anybody knows it

Members don't see this ad :)
Here it is: Medical Terminology, A Systems Approach 4th edition, by Barbara A. Gylys and Mary Ellen Wedding
Copyright 1999, by F.A. Davis Co, Philadelphia

Has anybody bought this? Did they find it useful? I totally forgot about the recommended reading! Sounded like a couple of people found it useful and others thought it was a waste.

docmd2010 said:
Rita,

Thanks for the info, what would you say is the general quality of these rotations? did you feel that the attendings were real helpful and offered good learning experiences? also can the rotations only be done at osteopathic hospitals?

Depending on where you go, your experience with your attendings will be different. I have a friend who was in Ft. Myers who raved about her attendings. My experience in Ohio was variable. My base hospital actually had a very small percent of attendings who liked to actively teach. Instead, you get a lot of "passive" pimping. So the bottom line is, you have to assume the ultimate responsibility for getting the information down. If you don't understand something, then you can clear it up w/ the attending or a resident.

In 3rd year you are at a core osteopathic hospital, for the most part, although you may find yourself at an allopathic hospital for some rotations (Peds, OB in my neck of the woods). 4th year you spend your EM and Cardio at an osteopathic hospital. Your electives can be spent wherever you'd like--you have to contact that hospital and set the elective up. You do this at the end of 3rd year into the beginning of 4th year.

AmyO said:
Here it is: Medical Terminology, A Systems Approach 4th edition, by Barbara A. Gylys and Mary Ellen Wedding
Copyright 1999, by F.A. Davis Co, Philadelphia

Has anybody bought this? Did they find it useful? I totally forgot about the recommended reading! Sounded like a couple of people found it useful and others thought it was a waste.

Thank you very much Amy. I dont know if it will be useful or not but I have nothing else to do this summer so I may as well get it.

I think I'm going to start studying for the USMLE, I have a feeling that'll be my main set of textbooks for the next 2 years...

med-i-cal said:
I think I'm going to start studying for the USMLE, I have a feeling that'll be my main set of textbooks for the next 2 years...
Oh man, I have not gotten to that point in my life yet!! I'm just trying to enjoy my summer a little bit! Then once school starts I'm hitting it hard.

ambernikel said:
Oh man, I have not gotten to that point in my life yet!! I'm just trying to enjoy my summer a little bit! Then once school starts I'm hitting it hard.
Well I don't really have a free summer anyway, so I figured I may as well do something useful for next year. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, congratulations on your acceptances and choosing to attend KCUMB. A couple of suggestions, if I may:
Do not waste your money on the MedTerminology book. Yes, medicine is like speaking a different language, but without any kind of a context to use it in, the terminology is just a bunch of memorization for vocab. You'll pick up the terminology very quickly when you get here because you'll be hearing it over and over
As far as other studying this summer, most people wouldn't recommend it because no matter how in depth or how much you study, it will not resemble anything that you'll do when you come here. I tried to read up on immunology before starting school only to find a completely drastically different approach to it when i got here, and the time i spent reading was effectively useless. Enjoy your summer--while it is not your last--you'll have 2 months off after your 1st year if you want them--it should be one where you are doing what you want for yourself, things that you've always wanted to do. Relax and enjoy it.
Feel free to ask questions, i'll get back ASAP--board exams for the next 2 weeks.
Paramenace
KCUMB MS2

paramenace said:
Hey guys, congratulations on your acceptances and choosing to attend KCUMB. A couple of suggestions, if I may:
Do not waste your money on the MedTerminology book. Yes, medicine is like speaking a different language, but without any kind of a context to use it in, the terminology is just a bunch of memorization for vocab. You'll pick up the terminology very quickly when you get here because you'll be hearing it over and over
As far as other studying this summer, most people wouldn't recommend it because no matter how in depth or how much you study, it will not resemble anything that you'll do when you come here. I tried to read up on immunology before starting school only to find a completely drastically different approach to it when i got here, and the time i spent reading was effectively useless. Enjoy your summer--while it is not your last--you'll have 2 months off after your 1st year if you want them--it should be one where you are doing what you want for yourself, things that you've always wanted to do. Relax and enjoy it.
Feel free to ask questions, i'll get back ASAP--board exams for the next 2 weeks.
Paramenace
KCUMB MS2

what would you guys recommend for books? do you think we need to buy all of them?

docmd2010 said:
what would you guys recommend for books? do you think we need to buy all of them?

*scratches head*

No. You don't buy all of them. I was in your shoes 4 years ago, wondering what to buy/not buy and at the time I was shocked and appalled at the upperclassmen who said that you didn't have to buy the books, but they were right.

I believe Lippincott's Pharmacology was a really good one. I bought Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine, and it is now but a $110 souvenir on my bookshelf. I cracked it very minimally. Definitely get a Netter's Anatomy. Don't buy the Dissector. I'm not sure what your booklist is, but approach it conservatively.

See, the thing is, during my first and 2nd year, they gave us VOLUMES of printed out class notes. I found myself studying off of those and a board review book (BRS is awesome!!!) instead of opening up that big text and reading the blah blah blah. There's a lot of material, and not enough time to go thru it plus read chapters upon chapters.....I know, seems unorthodox.

Just do what you gotta do, and get it done, and don't give up. Ever.

docmd2010 said:

Have you gotten the matriculation packet/book list yet? Lovely Rita and other current students can comment on whether they think this is a good idea or not, but I heard the best books are those that you use to learn/supplement the material 1st and 2nd year (annotate notes in the book & then use those notes plus book to study for boards) and double as board review stuff for COMLEX/USMLE. Examples of books that I have heard are great are: BRS Physiology, BRS Pathology, and First Aid. Lovely Rita, do you think a hard core pathology book is necessary like Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease? Gotta love book talk...lol Hope you all are enjoying your summers! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, whats the deal on the matriculation packets? I emailed Teresa Harter today to find out if they were sent already.

nrddct said:
yeah, whats the deal on the matriculation packets? I emailed Teresa Harter today to find out if they were sent already.

If I remember correctly, they were going to try to mail them out this week.

I talked to Ruth in admissions today and she said that matriculation packets are being sent out by the end of the week and that we should have them by the sometime next week. I can't believe i only have 2 months left till i start medical school, this is nuts. enjoy your summer everyone!

they posted the academic calendar on the kcumb website yay! i'm excited for everything to begin.. :D

Thanks for pointing that out! Looks like we are going to be doing renal 1st year. That's cool. So, I guess are they integrating skin and lymph. I didn't see it listed as a separate section.

Looks like I'm heading over to KC to find an apartment. So North KC is supposed to be close to the school and a decent area to live?

About books, the only two I used consistently first year were Netters and Stedman's medical dictionary. Couple other books I would recommend are Micro Made Simple, a path book (BRS or Rapid Review). and pocket Guyton. A Biochem book wouldn't hurt but to be honest are Biochem lectures are so spread out that it hardly seems worth it to read a chapter on a topic when it will only be 2 of the 60 questions on a test.

Try to resist the urge to buy every book you see. I got this advice and didn't listen and now have a shelf full of books I don't use. Start with a few essentials that your older sibs will tell you about. Then if you find you need an extra book you can always buy it from the book store or from other students.

I have a question, does anyone know if the the matriculation packets or whatever that is soon to come will tell us what loans we are approved for? I probably could call the adm office to find out but I guess I will know here shortly anyway if any of you don't know.

What is the deal with the biochem? Will we be taught everything they expect us to know for biochem or since it is a pre req do they expect us to know most of the info before we start school?

I got home from work and received a message that Teresa Harter called. Wonder what it was about. I haven't sent my transcripts (I needed to complete Biochem which I did last fall) yet or my vaccs or physical have you all done this?

Raven Feather said:
I got home from work and received a message that Teresa Harter called. Wonder what it was about. I haven't sent my transcripts (I needed to complete Biochem which I did last fall) yet or my vaccs or physical have you all done this?

Okay, well, nevermind. I called Teresa today and she called asking if I had any questions (that is what the phone call was for) and that they are sending matriculation packets today. I was transferred to Financial Aid (Mary Kay) to ask about when we'd be applying for the loans and she said that about July they will send us all something with links to websites of lenders to apply. I followed a link to National City from another post and apparently they are offering gradPlus for 6.8%. That is something for us all to check into especially me, since that is who I bank with.

Gosh, I'm getting sooo nervous now! I have to relocate 9hrs away and my house hasn't sold yet. Looks like I might be all alone in KC for a while. I'm going to KC at the end of the month to apartment hunt! I'm gonna try to live close but in a decent area. I don't really want to live in an apartment complex--we'll see what happens. Guess I'll do what I have to do!

Just a tip...

If you get to pick your lendor, I highly recommend THE or Total Higher Education (Northstar). They have excellent customer service, great at answering questions, they're always about doing what is best for the borrower, and have great bonuses. The paperwork is consistent and over four years, my loans were never sold!

Good luck!

Raven Feather said:
Okay, well, nevermind. I called Teresa today and she called asking if I had any questions (that is what the phone call was for) and that they are sending matriculation packets today. I was transferred to Financial Aid (Mary Kay) to ask about when we'd be applying for the loans and she said that about July they will send us all something with links to websites of lenders to apply. I followed a link to National City from another post and apparently they are offering gradPlus for 6.8%. That is something for us all to check into especially me, since that is who I bank with.

Gosh, I'm getting sooo nervous now! I have to relocate 9hrs away and my house hasn't sold yet. Looks like I might be all alone in KC for a while. I'm going to KC at the end of the month to apartment hunt! I'm gonna try to live close but in a decent area. I don't really want to live in an apartment complex--we'll see what happens. Guess I'll do what I have to do!

Don't worry I too will be moving to KC alone! And I highly doubt my house will be sold any time soon. Given the kitchen is in the midst of total remodeling. I'm living in the townhouses at Riverside. It's about a 15 minute drive I think. It's not bad and the neighborhood is awesome.

ambernikel said:
Don't worry I too will be moving to KC alone! And I highly doubt my house will be sold any time soon. Given the kitchen is in the midst of total remodeling. I'm living in the townhouses at Riverside. It's about a 15 minute drive I think. It's not bad and the neighborhood is awesome.

Is in N. KC? How much is the rent?

Got my packet today. Does anyone know if Century Towers has a roommate matching service?

RPCV said:
Got my packet today. Does anyone know if Century Towers has a roommate matching service?

I think I remember them saying they did.

What option are you guys choosing for the medial equipment? I don't have a hearing impairment, any other reason to choose the electronic stethoscope? I've used regular stethoscopes before for basic things like blood pressures, but I don't have any knowledge about the electronic stethoscopes. Anybody used one before?

AmyO said:
What option are you guys choosing for the medial equipment? I don't have a hearing impairment, any other reason to choose the electronic stethoscope? I've used regular stethoscopes before for basic things like blood pressures, but I don't have any knowledge about the electronic stethoscopes. Anybody used one before?

Everyone I know who bought one hates it and never uses it.

RPCV said:

The matching service they have is through the list the school supplied in the packet. Theresa Harter is the one that helps with the roommate matching.

how are we supposed to pay for all this equipment. i don't really have $700 laying around

ihateresearch said:
how are we supposed to pay for all this equipment. i don't really have $700 laying around

I feel ya there. I already have a stethoscope and am pretty sure I could get a tunning fork, and reflex hammer for free from somebody I know---I don't want to buy the WHOLE package. Unless, of course, minus those few items, the cost would be about the same.

Hello all! I too will be seeing you in the fall at KCUMB, and I'm getting really excited.

Speaking of the equipment...anyone know if the lithium-ion battery is worth the extra money? Also, anyone know of good cheep places to get scrubs? I figure I should stock up before school starts.

ihateresearch said:

I'm glad I have room on my credit card for this stuff. I know the school does sell scrubs for about $15 each from what I heard...I don't know if it's for the set or for just one part of it. For those that haven't heard, I heard we can't have scrubs with print on them. Just buy the plain scrubs (not the peds-like scrubs) until you hear otherwise.

Hey guys, congrats on acceptance and good luck with the coming school year.
If you guys have any questions about books to buy, dos/don'ts where to live etc... feel free to private message me on SDN here. I have some hang-ups about posting certain things in public forums but I'm more than willing to help.

-Soon to be MS-III KCUMB

I'm not sure why would we need an otoscope and such. I mean, shouldn't they have those in examination rooms? Do we really need all this *required* supplies?

Raven Feather said:
I'm not sure why would we need an otoscope and such. I mean, shouldn't they have those in examination rooms? Do we really need all this *required* supplies?

We will use them in the labs when we learn how to do those things. We also use them when we do Score 1 for Health in our second year.

HIANMI said:
We will use them in the labs when we learn how to do those things. We also use them when we do Score 1 for Health in our second year.

I guess I'm surprised because all the people I have talked to who will be attending different schools didn't *have to* purchase all that stuff but a stethoscope. The schools have it in their exam rooms. What do we check for Score one besides the basics like blood pressure, visual screens? Are we gonna be looking into their ears and eyes?

I think I'm gonna call tomorrow.

Raven Feather said:
I guess I'm surprised because all the people I have talked to who will be attending different schools didn't *have to* purchase all that stuff but a stethoscope. The schools have it in their exam rooms. What do we check for Score one besides the basics like blood pressure, visual screens? Are we gonna be looking into their ears and eyes?

I think I'm gonna call tomorrow.

If you do call, let us all know what they have to say about it. because that is quite an expense that would be nice to put off a little if possible.

kumark13 said:
If you do call, let us all know what they have to say about it. because that is quite an expense that would be nice to put off a little if possible.

Yeah, like when our loan money arrives! Sure thing--I will let you all know. From what I have been told, us having to purchase this may have something to do with how large our class is and not having enough equip to go around even though we will be divided up in lab sections and of course the above mention score 1 (which doesn't happen until 2cnd year).

Raven Feather said:

I wished I would have had an otoscope a couple of years ago when my kids were little. It would have paid for itself. LOL :laugh:

Gyark said:
I wished I would have had an otoscope a couple of years ago when my kids were little. It would have paid for itself. LOL :laugh:

Ha, ha! Yes but even if we see an ear infection, we can't prescribe antibiotics yet! :D

Craig, are you requesting Dr. Peters to coat you at the ceremony? I did, he is sooo awesome!

Gyark said:

I know when I was little my mom had one. If she saw something, we went to the doctor, or he trusted her enough most of the time to not even mess with us coming in. If anything, it saved us money on the office visits :D .

hi all, i'm a 2nd year here a KCUMB and am just basically wasting time today and enjoying my summer, so i thought i'd answer a question about the equipment. i personally really like having all of the equipment. you have to bring it to many labs, it's great practice, and i think the best doctors are those who try and really want to learn. it's great to be able to do your own respiratory and cardio exams your first year and practice on family and friends. plus, you'll need it for score 1, any other volunteer activities/screenings/ that you do, and many other things. i'm going on a mission this summer and am definitely bringing my own stuff. plus, even when you're shadowing a doctor, it's nice to have your own stethoscope-who wants to put someone else's ear goo in your own ear!

hope this helps a little! of course, you can always buy it on your own off of e-bay, the brand really isn't important but you'll see that the school's offer is a good deal for all that you get. :)

me

oh, and buying equipment has nothing to do with the class size, my class was also 250. you're always responsible for buying your own. i had gone to score 1 already with the pediatrics club and the family medicine club as a first year. so if you want to get involved and use your equipement, the opportunities are there.

Dr. Gato said:
Hello all! I too will be seeing you in the fall at KCUMB, and I'm getting really excited.

Speaking of the equipment...anyone know if the lithium-ion battery is worth the extra money? Also, anyone know of good cheep places to get scrubs? I figure I should stock up before school starts.
i wish i had bought the lithium battery, it's also a nice black one and lasts a lot longer.