KCUMB class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have contacted the school to inform them of my financial situation and inability to pay for the equipment until my loan money came through. They indicated that it was fine. In addition, there are some students who don't even purchase any of the equipment and borrow it. Therefore, it is quite fine to purchase seperately. A stethoscope is a stethoscope...it is a matter of preference. Don't assume things until you contact the school for verification.

med-i-cal said:
I don't think they are going to allow you to do this, you are supposed to have all your equipment by orientation, and it has to be approved equipment. I wish we could do this though, it would be so much cheaper.

To those going for option B, I considered doing this as well, but I thought I may try to get by as cheap as possible and upgrade later when I get my financial aid money. I guess the catch to this is in the question; Will it even be possible to switch out a NiCad battery for a LiIon? Or are they permanently in the equipment? Does anyone know the answer to this by chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone taking out commercial loans? If so, who are you taking them out with?

anyone get the tuition request from KCUMB? $34,560 due by Aug 2. Yikes!! This is finally happening!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah pretty ridiculous-i sent it back in already. they're not slow at all when it comes to asking for money. but of course when we wanted interviews and an acceptance letter them-it took them forever!

:laugh:

radioactive_sci said:
I have contacted the school to inform them of my financial situation and inability to pay for the equipment until my loan money came through. They indicated that it was fine. In addition, there are some students who don't even purchase any of the equipment and borrow it. Therefore, it is quite fine to purchase seperately. A stethoscope is a stethoscope...it is a matter of preference. Don't assume things until you contact the school for verification.
Settle down now, I just didn't want anyone to miss the boat in case we were getting different information from different people. I DID contact the school MYSELF when we first got these order forms, I only said that my friend talked to the person who has to do the verification of the actual equipment. I'll paraphrase what they told me "We know you won't get your money until August, but you still have to buy the equipment, so find a way to get the money." You should also not assume things, I did try to verify and this is what I was told (actually, two verifications, one from financial aid, and one from the people who place the orders in the bookstore). Don't be mad at me that we got conflicting information...

And by the way, I think it's wonderful they are not requiring you to buy it if you don't have the money. But it also upsets me since I was told something different and had to borrow nearly $800 from different sources as a result.

HEy guys~

Has everyone got their financial award letter? I haven't gotten mine yet and Im a little concerned now that i got this huge bill to take care of by august. Im going to contact financial aide monday (if they are open) but just wanted some info from ya'll too....

have you guys logged onto blackboard yet? i thought it said we could it would open june 30, but i dont know my username or password

ihateresearch said:
have you guys logged onto blackboard yet? i thought it said we could it would open june 30, but i dont know my username or password

I read somewhere that the user name is the first initial of your first name plus your last name and your password is your birthdate in a six-digit form (ex. Sept 1 1980 would be 090180). Mine doesn't work though!!! I e-mailed the technology guy who sent the e-mail, so I guess I'll see what he says.

ihateresearch said:

i was able to log onto blackboard today. username is first intial and last name...password is your birthday no dashes or spaces. example 070306 if today was your birthday.

Well, I got an e-mail back from the help desk. My account wasn't created right, so I have to wait a few days for the blackboard administrator to return and recreate my account. :(

hey guys,

quick question for ya, when i interviewed at kcumb, i wasn't able to check out the library. what's it look like? is it pretty nice? any comments?

The library was actually nicer than I remembered - the second time I visited it. It is smaller than your average M.D. school library/undergrad library. It is 2 stories and is pretty nice (wood balconies). There are some desks and chairs (not a ton of places to sit). The only downside seemed to be that is was somewhat small. Of course, if you were just wanting a place to study, there was also that huge building with all of the study rooms too.

Ok so for the Gradloan Plus when do we have to apply for it through a specific lender?...I've filled out the MPN and everything and still am a little confused how that loan works exactly. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry guys i was accepted to creighton yesterday and since i'm from NE i just can't pass it up. good luck to all of you in the next year

ihateresearch said:
sorry guys i was accepted to creighton yesterday and since i'm from NE i just can't pass it up. good luck to all of you in the next year

Awwww, see ya and good luck. I went to Creighton for undergrad by the way.

Hey all-
So my former roommate, Ihateresearch, got into her first choice, which rocks for her! Congrats Meggan! I am left with a 2BR apt on hold for me at Walnut Creek. Rent is 659 a month total, plus awesome extras and a pretty sweet apt in general. Its really close to school and I hear a lot of other first years will be living there as well. Again, open to any who are interested, male, female, whatever. It'll be really hard for me to get back to KC and re-apt hunt, so let me know! I know its last minute!

Khia18 said:
Hey all-
So my former roommate, Ihateresearch, got into her first choice, which rocks for her! Congrats Meggan! I am left with a 2BR apt on hold for me at Walnut Creek. Rent is 659 a month total, plus awesome extras and a pretty sweet apt in general. Its really close to school and I hear a lot of other first years will be living there as well. Again, open to any who are interested, male, female, whatever. It'll be really hard for me to get back to KC and re-apt hunt, so let me know! I know its last minute!

thanks! sorry i feel bad, i didn't think this would ever happen. i'm kind of sad to be leaving honestly. i really liked the school and know i would've gotten a good education.

Meh, its all good! Maybe the same will happen for me, maybe its a sign! :) Take care!

exlawgrrl said:
i'm still interviewing and all that good stuff, but going to kcumb seems to be not a too remote possibility. i liked the school more than ccom and comp. we'll see about umdnj-som and dmu, and i'll probably accept an interview offer if i get it from osu.

i probably won't know about ohsu, my state school, until mid to late spring, so i'll have to make a deposit regardless of that.

have you guys thought about where you'd like to live? the plaza seems expensive, but i'd like to live close to that.

Hey let me know if you give up your seat at CCOM, I'm waitlisted there! And its like 20 min from my house. :) But otherwise, see you at KCUMB in the fall.

Khia18 said:
Hey let me know if you give up your seat at CCOM, I'm waitlisted there! And its like 20 min from my house. :) But otherwise, see you at KCUMB in the fall.

I'm pretty sure exlawgrrl is going to OHSU instead (that's what her signature says at least). I think she gave up her D.O. acceptances several months ago, but I could be wrong. Good luck on the waitlist.

Does anyone have a spouse that is staying home (near Hyde Park) to take care of their children? I ask b/c I am a single parent and need help in the mornings by having someone drop my child off at private school in the Waldo area.

Please message me if you have any contacts that could help with this!!! Thank you

Well, can you guys believe I STILL don't know where I am living? I got dooped out of an apartment that I thought was basically a done deal. It is a dog eat dog world I guess. That was a wasted trip I took to KC a few weeks ago.

I spent all morning calling around and at least I have a few potentials now that I am starting from scratch again.

Radioactive,
Where is Waldo, is in S. KC?

Raven Feather said:
Well, can you guys believe I STILL don't know where I am living? I got dooped out of an apartment that I thought was basically a done deal. It is a dog eat dog world I guess. That was a wasted trip I took to KC a few weeks ago.

I spent all morning calling around and at least I have a few potentials now that I am starting from scratch again.

Radioactive,

Hey Raven-
Call that relocation central lady. She's a lifesaver. Michelle Sparks (816)587-5525. Sorry to here you got duped. Better luck next time!

Hey guys:

For those who are gonna live at CT this year, did any of you received your move-in packet? I was supposed to have mine by the end of June, but when I called CT on July 5th, the secretary said that they just sent it on that week. Now, it's been another week, and still haven't got it. So, I'm wondering what's happening: either there has been a mess up in the mail or they haven't sent it out yet.

Anyway, I hope I can get to the bottom of this!

G. :idea:

Howdy, member of 2008 here. I was just wondering what day you guys start orientation/class. I have some books/CDs etc.. to pawn off on you guys for cheap and I want to be at school some of those days.

InvaderDOC said:
Hey guys:

For those who are gonna live at CT this year, did any of you received your move-in packet? I was supposed to have mine by the end of June, but when I called CT on July 5th, the secretary said that they just sent it on that week. Now, it's been another week, and still haven't got it. So, I'm wondering what's happening: either there has been a mess up in the mail or they haven't sent it out yet.

Anyway, I hope I can get to the bottom of this!

G. :idea:
I would just give them another call and see what they say.

Hey guys, I just realized I have no use for scrubs any more. I have light-weight scrubs in XL size. 4 blue bottoms, 7 Blue tops, 2 green bottoms, 3 green tops. If you want to buy them private message me.

Yes...Waldo is South KC....about 13 miles from school. Do you know someone who can take my daughter to school?

Raven Feather said:

Radioactive,

Raven.....If you don't find a place right away, then you could stay with me for a month. My daughter isn't moving with me until mid Aug and you are more than welcome to take her bedroom for the first month. Let me know. That will at least give you time to find a place.

radioactive_sci said:
Yes...Waldo is South KC....about 13 miles from school. Do you know someone who can take my daughter to school?

AmyO said:
I'm moving July 15th too! We should get together sometime (anybody in town)! I'll be figuring out where everything is and enjoying those last weeks of no studying (even though I have to admit that I'm excited to start) :)

Hi! I just joined SDN today and I'm in KCUMB class of 2010 and I'm way excited. I've lived in the area since May, but I haven't had a chance to think about school till now because I've been getting married, honeymooning, and then volunteering at a church camp (which was not one in the same with the honeymoon, thank goodness). Anyway, now that it looks like several people have moved in over the weekend, 1) does anyone need any help with finishing moving in and 2) if anyone wants to go out for coffee or to the art museum or anything else in the area, I'm game because I don't have a summer job and I'm bored and I want to get to know people- so send me a personal message if you want to hang out or maybe we can get a big group together (or have you done that already and I'm just out of the loop?)

Peace

I just moved in this past Saturday. I'm finished with unpacking the big things, just organizing now. I'm game to get a group together for coffee or something!

AmyO said:
I just moved in this past Saturday. I'm finished with unpacking the big things, just organizing now. I'm game to get a group together for coffee or something!

I'm game as well.

radioactive_sci said:

I dunno. I do know a girl who lives downtown but sends her kid to private school. I'm not sure which school--I emailed her to see what school her son attends. I'll let you know what school and pm you.

radioactive_sci said:
Raven.....If you don't find a place right away, then you could stay with me for a month. My daughter isn't moving with me until mid Aug and you are more than welcome to take her bedroom for the first month. Let me know. That will at least give you time to find a place.

How nice! Thanks for the offer. Looks like I will be living at Camden Passage apartments in Platte County. I contacted Michelle Sparks at relocation central (thanks for reminding me Khia) and she is helping me out.

Glad you found a place. I'm sure that is a huge burden taken off of your shoulders. Hope the move goes well. As for me, I'm going to Georgia on vacation for a week and then will be heading to KC! I'm finally getting nervous about the move....especially since I still haven't sold my house yet! yikes! :eek:

Raven Feather said:
How nice! Thanks for the offer. Looks like I will be living at Camden Passage apartments in Platte County. I contacted Michelle Sparks at relocation central (thanks for reminding me Khia) and she is helping me out.

I will be moving in Aug 1. I will need help if anyone is willing to swing by for an hour. I have plenty of help packing the truck, but not many people are willing to make the trek to KC to help unload. Since I am a single mother, with lots of stuff, I will need as much help as I can possibly get. If you are willing, then I will spring for the pizza and beer!!!

radioactive_sci said:
I will be moving in Aug 1. I will need help if anyone is willing to swing by for an hour. I have plenty of help packing the truck, but not many people are willing to make the trek to KC to help unload. Since I am a single mother, with lots of stuff, I will need as much help as I can possibly get. If you are willing, then I will spring for the pizza and beer!!!

My husband and I are more than happy to help you unpack! Just tell us when and where.

does anyone know if software is provided for us or do we have to buy our own?

Alright TOOL will be in Kansas City like September 15th...who wants to go with me. I can't go by myself, that would suck hard.

Raven Feather said:

Awesome glad you found a place. I moved this week and my neighbor tonight was talking about some of the apartments around here that med students often stay at and she mentioned those ones I think. I live in Riverside just south of you I think. I'm not sure but I do know I'm in Platte County. If you need any help with anything just let me know. I haven't had the internet until today so I'm just finally getting back to some of my normal websites.

So if people are getting together for coffee... hook me up! I'm here too and I'm bored also. Well I'm trying to get my house unpacked but still I definitely could use a coffee break and it'd be awesome to put some faces to the names I've seen on here all year.

ambernikel said:
Awesome glad you found a place. I moved this week and my neighbor tonight was talking about some of the apartments around here that med students often stay at and she mentioned those ones I think. I live in Riverside just south of you I think. I'm not sure but I do know I'm in Platte County. If you need any help with anything just let me know. I haven't had the internet until today so I'm just finally getting back to some of my normal websites.

So if people are getting together for coffee... hook me up! I'm here too and I'm bored also. Well I'm trying to get my house unpacked but still I definitely could use a coffee break and it'd be awesome to put some faces to the names I've seen on here all year.

Thanks Amber! Who is your ISP and what is the rate? I'm moving in July 29th. My actual address is still KC. It is 15 min from the school without back ups. I am soo nerve wrecked right about now! Everyone seems so excited on the blackboard and I'm nervous as heck!

TSisk23 said:
Alright TOOL will be in Kansas City like September 15th...who wants to go with me. I can't go by myself, that would suck hard.

Can you please inform me regarding TOOL? I'm interested but I don't know this band.

thirdclius said:
Can you please inform me regarding TOOL? I'm interested but I don't know this band.

Well let's see...I guess if I had to describe them in simple terms it would just be a metal band. I will say that you may want to find a way to listen to their music before you think about going...not because I'm worried that you would hate them...but if you do happen to not like them it wouldn't be good because tickets aren't the cheapest...35-55$ I believe depending on the seating. If you are familiar with A Perfect Circle, the lead singer of that group is the lead singer of TOOL though the music of TOOL is quite a bit different. They are not I iTunes or anything to preview so I would just suggest you google "Listen to TOOL" or something of this nature and you'll find websites that have clips of their songs or maybe an occasional site that has an entire song so you can get an idea whether you like them or not. Tickets do go on sale on Saturday for the 15th of September...the last time I went to buy tickets they sold out in a minute...no kidding...although the venue was quite a bit smaller. Anyone else interested?

Raven Feather said:
Thanks Amber! Who is your ISP and what is the rate? I'm moving in July 29th. My actual address is still KC. It is 15 min from the school without back ups. I am soo nerve wrecked right about now! Everyone seems so excited on the blackboard and I'm nervous as heck!

I'm getting mine through SBC which is what I had at home. It's still fast but cheaper than cable. Since I don't really watch much tv it works best for me just to have it through them. You have to have a lan line but if you weren't getting cable its still cheaper to pay for both. Right now I just have dial up until tomorrow when my DSL gets turned on.

OH yeah and I think we're all nervous, crazy nervous! So don't worry! I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something and have nightmares that I'll accidentally miss the first day of school. :laugh:

TSisk23 said:

OH I used to be such a huge TOol fan back in the day before Perfect. I'd almost want to go but I'm a freak about concerts. I get claustrophobic. I haven't even heard their new album. I seriously was such a huge tool fan I knew every messed up word to every messed up song and still pretty much do. I got into the first perfect circle cd and then I just waivered from maynard all together. Now I'm stuck in my hippy (dave, jack, ben, etc) and blues/jazz (muddy, louis jordan, madeline p) and I've even started to transfer a little over to underground hip hop.... dare I say it out loud????? But if a good old tool song comes on I have to stop and listen and of course, sing along.

ambernikel said:
OH I used to be such a huge TOol fan back in the day before Perfect. I'd almost want to go but I'm a freak about concerts. I get claustrophobic. I haven't even heard their new album. I seriously was such a huge tool fan I knew every messed up word to every messed up song and still pretty much do. I got into the first perfect circle cd and then I just waivered from maynard all together. Now I'm stuck in my hippy (dave, jack, ben, etc) and blues/jazz (muddy, louis jordan, madeline p) and I've even started to transfer a little over to underground hip hop.... dare I say it out loud????? But if a good old tool song comes on I have to stop and listen and of course, sing along.

Man I have been a Tool fan forever...you have it right...every messed up word to every messed up song lol. I can understand the feeling at concerts...it can get a little tight. I would suggest you listen to the new album though...I loan it to you if you'd like. It's a lot more mellow and just as good as the older ones. I mean I love other music too but its hard to stop liking Tool.

Where is TOOL playing, or did I miss it?

Just wanted to mention I'm jealous of you all...I'm just applying now and hoping to be in your shoes next year...

Rob Zombie is also playing in KC in September I believe...with Godsmack.