KCUMB Class of 2016!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RIdoc11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a class of 2016 thread... not sure if the facebook group was created because I do not have facebook!

Members don't see this ad.

Cool! I'm so, so excited..August cannot come quick enough!

Figured I'd start a class of 2016 thread... not sure if the facebook group was created because I do not have facebook!

Cool! I'm so, so excited..August cannot come quick enough!

It feels good to finally breathe!

Congratulations everyone! I, too, am looking forward to August!

However, I aim to enjoy these few months before the gauntlet. Some travel, a regular job, and some much needed R&R sounds nice. What're everyone's plans before heading off to Kansas City this August?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually in a 1 year post bac program which is anything BUT rest and relaxation...

Also something to point out... Us 2016'ers mark the 100th anniversary of KCUMB (est. 1916)

Made the decision with my family today. I'll be attending KCUMB in August! I can't wait!

Hi All,

I just scheduled my interview. I was actually looking for a bit of advice on the entire process. Any pointers you could throw my way would be much appreciated.
Specifically Regarding...
-Any advice on good things to do or good placed to eat in KC? I'm flying in the day before rather early and not leaving until the day after the interview.
-On what to expect for the interview?

All the Best and Congratulations on Your Acceptances,

PNN

Hey everyone,

I have to take genetics in the spring since I didn't have a straight Genetics course I guesss. Does anyone else have to do this?? I am looking for maybe an online school to do it through since I will be working as well. Thanks,

Will

Hi All,

I just scheduled my interview. I was actually looking for a bit of advice on the entire process. Any pointers you could throw my way would be much appreciated.
-Any advice on good things to do or good placed to eat in KC? I'm flying in the day before rather early and not leaving until the day after the interview.

PNN

There's lots of famous jazz and BBQ in Kansas City. I'm not sure of specific places, but I hear "The Plaza" and the "Gaslight District" are two areas that are a lot of fun.

The interview will be easy. You'll get picked up from the hotel and brought to the school, where folders with information will be waiting for you. A few presentations will be made, including one about financial aid. Following these presentations, you'll get a Q&A session with current students, and then they'll break you off into small groups to take you on campus tours, where you can continue to question the medical students who are your tour guides. Then comes lunch, a tour of Century Towers (the residence complex across the street), and finally your interview. Interview will be laid back - don't stress at all. Overall, the day will be very enjoyable! Good luck!

The only problem now is that I am so excited and we still have 10 months. Ughhh. Has anyone else been out of school for awhile.

The only problem now is that I am so excited and we still have 10 months. Ughhh. Has anyone else been out of school for awhile.

I feel the same way. Granted, I just graduated in spring, but I'm so antsy to start school already! Especially since I've got a bunch of friends who started medical school this past August, and they share with me all the incredible things they're learning...can't wait for next august!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way. Granted, I just graduated in spring, but I'm so antsy to start school already! Especially since I've got a bunch of friends who started medical school this past August, and they share with me all the incredible things they're learning...can't wait for next august!

By the time I start I will have been out for 4 years. I am sweating it pretty bad. I think I need to brush up on some stuff...
Has anyone thought about a roommate? I am wanting to get one and live in Century Towers. Does anyone know where or how I might go about finding someone? Any suggestions?

By the time I start I will have been out for 4 years. I am sweating it pretty bad. I think I need to brush up on some stuff...
Has anyone thought about a roommate? I am wanting to get one and live in Century Towers. Does anyone know where or how I might go about finding someone? Any suggestions?

I would probably look into posting it on the facebook group wall once more people begin to join... If you are definitely set on living in Century Towers I would go ahead and put your deposit down there for a 2 bedroom so you don't get stuck without an apartment.

Hi All,

PNN

Definitely go to "Jack Stack BBQ" if you are looking for some good food... so good.

Hello fellow 2016ers! Now I just need to find a place to live that allows three pets...

Honored to be apart of this school and the centennial class! I am doing major traveling this summer to relax a bit :) Europe for 35 days on efcollegebreak.com! Anyone interested PM me

So I'm thinking of finding a place not too far from campus and sharing with ~ 1 or 2 roomates. Something like a 3 bedroom apt or house within easy and quick commute. I'm also considering a 2-room CT apt.

PM me if you might be interested in sharing a place!

I'm a female, but I'm open to both male and female roomates. I'm also open to sharing a place with one or more neat freaks... as long as they don't expect the same level of neurotic neatness from me :)

Hey guys,

what made you guys choose KCUMB? I am debating between here and LECOM-Erie.

So I'm thinking of finding a place not too far from campus and sharing with ~ 1 or 2 roomates. Something like a 3 bedroom apt or house within easy and quick commute. I'm also considering a 2-room CT apt.

PM me if you might be interested in sharing a place!

I'm a female, but I'm open to both male and female roomates. I'm also open to sharing a place with one or more neat freaks... as long as they don't expect the same level of neurotic neatness from me :)

same here bibit. I am a male

I just put my deposit down for KCUMB today! I was accepted in October, but I wanted to finish all of my interviews so I didn't have that "what if" feeling. I'm super excited to meet all of you! I've been out of school for a year and a half and I'm getting antsy to start too. It's going to be a rude shock going back to school after being out, but I REALLY needed a break. I'm going to relax until August and take some time to breathe, exercise, read, and get ready for school.

How are you all planning on financing your education? I'm going to submit my FAFSA on Jan. 1st, but the guy at the bank said that federal aid probably won't cover everything, so it will probably be a mix of federal and private loans for me. Doing the financial aid stuff makes it so real!

I will be paying with Federal loans. There is enough in fed loans to pay for school and housing. You can get all the tuition paid for and 2,000 a month in living expenses.

Reactions: 1 user
I just put my deposit down for KCUMB today! I was accepted in October, but I wanted to finish all of my interviews so I didn't have that "what if" feeling. I'm super excited to meet all of you! I've been out of school for a year and a half and I'm getting antsy to start too. It's going to be a rude shock going back to school after being out, but I REALLY needed a break. I'm going to relax until August and take some time to breathe, exercise, read, and get ready for school.

How are you all planning on financing your education? I'm going to submit my FAFSA on Jan. 1st, but the guy at the bank said that federal aid probably won't cover everything, so it will probably be a mix of federal and private loans for me. Doing the financial aid stuff makes it so real!

I will be paying my deposit next Monday.....yay

There will definitely be a sting when it comes time to sign promissory notes for the mass of loans contributing to the ever-growing mountain of student loan debt. But hey, at least it is for medical school! I'm stoked for next fall no matter how much it stings!

I paid the acceptance fee last Friday by debit card and they still haven't taken the money out. I really wish they would.

KCUMB deposit paid!

....bleeding slowly

Reactions: 1 user
Just sent in my seat deposit today! YAY! So excited :)

Hey ladies! Anyone checking out CT and looking for a roommate? I'm thinking the deluxe 2 bedroom...or even the regular 2 bedroom. Whichever is really fine by me actually. Let me know if your interested...maybe we can swap details and see if we'd fit as roomies (Lord knows we don't need a rough living situation in med school!) I posted on the FB page also so disregard if you're seeing this twice. :)

Did you guys all put down the 2k right away or did you put down the 1k by December and are going to put down the rest before March? just wondering

Did you guys all put down the 2k right away or did you put down the 1k by December and are going to put down the rest before March? just wondering

I put my 1k down and I plan on paying the other 1k as late as possible :D

I was accepted back in mid-November. I paid my acceptance fee and got the receipt last week. I graduated back in the spring as well. This is going to be torture to wait until August.

I was accepted back in mid-November. I paid my acceptance fee and got the receipt last week. I graduated back in the spring as well. This is going to be torture to wait until August.

Agreed.where r u from longroad?

Hey ladies! Anyone checking out CT and looking for a roommate? I'm thinking the deluxe 2 bedroom...or even the regular 2 bedroom. Whichever is really fine by me actually. Let me know if your interested...maybe we can swap details and see if we'd fit as roomies (Lord knows we don't need a rough living situation in med school!) I posted on the FB page also so disregard if you're seeing this twice. :)

Hey hey. When I went to interview I also looked at a few places to live just in case and I really like Market Station apartments (check them out online). They are in River market area, which is super close to campus but still far enough where it is safe. I was thinking of living alone at first but then thought more about it and with 1 roommate (girl), Id have a lot more breathing room financially. Were you set on CT?

Does anyone know how much/if any dedicated study time is available for taking the boards?

Does anyone know how much/if any dedicated study time is available for taking the boards?

I was wondering the same thing.... I did however ask about board prep and such while on my interview... The day I interviewed they actually had Kaplan on campus pitching their board prep program... As far as dedicated study time though, I doubt it???

I received the answer from the admissions department:

"KCUMB has a unique program called the Professional Enrichment Program (PEP) that provides 1-2 weeks during the first two years for independent learning. During the second year when students begin to concentrate on board preparation, a 2 week period is scheduled in October, March, May, and June. The last class ends in early May. In addition to these, spring has a 1 week vacation and a 1 week period during graduation week with no classes scheduled. Including graduation week and PEP weeks in May/June, students may have 7 consecutive weeks with minimal scheduling. There are in these weeks electives to help students prepare if they wish to take them and a few requirements to complete such as ACLS and orientations for year III. Boards must be scheduled and taken before the end of June and that scheduling is done by students not the school."

I received the answer from the admissions department:

"KCUMB has a unique program called the Professional Enrichment Program (PEP) that provides 1-2 weeks during the first two years for independent learning. During the second year when students begin to concentrate on board preparation, a 2 week period is scheduled in October, March, May, and June. The last class ends in early May. In addition to these, spring has a 1 week vacation and a 1 week period during graduation week with no classes scheduled. Including graduation week and PEP weeks in May/June, students may have 7 consecutive weeks with minimal scheduling. There are in these weeks electives to help students prepare if they wish to take them and a few requirements to complete such as ACLS and orientations for year III. Boards must be scheduled and taken before the end of June and that scheduling is done by students not the school."

Thanks! I was wondering about this. That seems like adequate time. The best thing would be to study on our spare time on those PEP weeks so that those last 7 are the polishing up weeks to bang everything into our brains.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was wondering this. That seems like adequate time. The best thing would be to study on our spare time on those PEP weeks so that those last 7 our the polishing up weeks to bang everything into our brains.
I had similar thoughts. Anyone planning on taking the USMLE as well?

I had similar thoughts. Anyone planning on taking the USMLE as well?

I absolutely plan on taking the USMLE as well. One of my good friends from undergrad is at OSU-COM. She was similar to me with an average GPA from undergrad and not the highest MCAT in the incoming class. But she went all out during her first two years and studied hard for both the COMLEX and USMLE. She ended up in the 99 percentile for both. Something like 254 USMLE and 704 COMLEX or something like that. Its all about work ethic and dedication. You don't have to come into med school with a 33+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA to do well on the boards.

I absolutely plan on taking the USMLE as well. One of my good friends from undergrad is at OSU-COM. She was similar to me with an average GPA from undergrad and not the highest MCAT in the incoming class. But she went all out during her first two years and studied hard for both the COMLEX and USMLE. She ended up in the 99 percentile for both. Something like 254 USMLE and 704 COMLEX or something like that. Its all about work ethic and dedication. You don't have to come into med school with a 33+ MCAT and 3.8+ GPA to do well on the boards.

I agree. My intentions are to ensure my studies have clinical correlates so I will be doing cases (vignettes) throughout the first two years. I am thinking the 7 weeks available for board prep will do me well. I have read on other forums about people taking the USMLE first, then COMLEX a week later. At this point I think I will go this route, but we will see in 2 and a bit years.

Have u guys decided to go with ct or an off campus apt? Ct is def convienient

CT.... couldn't turn down its convenience.

I agree with the convenience part. If I was single, I would definitely be at CT. I'm getting married this summer so I will probably be off campus somewhere.