snowhite

Sweet and Innocent
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
This might be a little premature considering I'll be just a first year this fall, but I was wondering if anyone has information about 3rd and 4th year rotations. I was told during my interview that you can either stay in Kansas City or take on a rotation in another location, but where are these locations and who would you do them under? Since I'm from Texas, my interviewer said that I could come back to Texas if I want (although I don't see why I would b/c I applied out of state for the reason of trying to get OUT of TX). if I can choose a location, I have an idea of where I'd like to go, but need to know if there is anything offerred there and what the requirements are, etc. etc.

I've searched the website high and low and have found no more information on this. Do you have to apply for these locations? Anyone know of any more information?

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
Gotta look a little harder next time ;)

http://www.kcumb.edu/academics/cce/coresites.asp

The info is not actually listed directly on the website (no clue why), but I found this on SDN earlier when I was researching the school. For your fourth year, I believe you can arrange your rotations at any hospital throughout the country (so long as that particular hospital grants you approval to do so).

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
where it's bleeding
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
snowhite said:
This might be a little premature considering I'll be just a first year this fall, but I was wondering if anyone has information about 3rd and 4th year rotations. I was told during my interview that you can either stay in Kansas City or take on a rotation in another location, but where are these locations and who would you do them under? Since I'm from Texas, my interviewer said that I could come back to Texas if I want (although I don't see why I would b/c I applied out of state for the reason of trying to get OUT of TX). if I can choose a location, I have an idea of where I'd like to go, but need to know if there is anything offerred there and what the requirements are, etc. etc.

I've searched the website high and low and have found no more information on this. Do you have to apply for these locations? Anyone know of any more information?
Hi Snowhite,

You can stay in KC or go to Michigan, Ohio, New York, other cities in Missouri, Florida, Denver, Texas, Oklahoma, maybe Minnesota?

There are no requirements other than completing 1st and 2nd years. You put your top 3 sites you're interested in and then there is a "match"/ lottery where students are "matched" to open spots. It's random. The sites don't have any say or preference about you, though.

Training is done at a base hospital and various clinics in whatever city you're in. The clinic docs agree to take a student, and in return get free labor and CME. :D

Good luck....enjoy KC!
M.

aabobrov

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Visit site
Status
I might add to that--the rotations are not officially listed because they change every year...every year they renew their contracts/agreements, which is why they don't like to release these lists. Having said that, thanks for posting the list of rotations--i GO to the school and i wasn't aware of the OCCE website!

DrMaryC said:
Hi Snowhite,

You can stay in KC or go to Michigan, Ohio, New York, other cities in Missouri, Florida, Denver, Texas, Oklahoma, maybe Minnesota?

There are no requirements other than completing 1st and 2nd years. You put your top 3 sites you're interested in and then there is a "match"/ lottery where students are "matched" to open spots. It's random. The sites don't have any say or preference about you, though.

Training is done at a base hospital and various clinics in whatever city you're in. The clinic docs agree to take a student, and in return get free labor and CME. :D

Good luck....enjoy KC!
M.

OP
snowhite

snowhite

Sweet and Innocent
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Thanks guys! Great info.

More questions though:

Where do most people want to go for rotations?
Is there a big cohort that goes to each of those sites?
Also, if you set up your own fourth year rotation, do they encourage you to stay in the same place as where you did the 3rd year?
So, you can do 4th year at any hospital anywhere that will accept you? Really? That's amazing. Is it difficult to arrange?

Also, what is the schedule like for rotations? I don't know much about it. Will you have any freetime at all?

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
The largest majority like to stay here for obvious reasons. However, there are usually more people who want KC than there are spots. The only requirements for fourth year is that you do your EM and Cardiology clerkships at your core site. The rest is up to you. Obviously, there will be space for you at your core hospital for anything that they offer, and you should have priority there if you wanted to stay there. Usually people use their scheduling freedom to check out hospitals where they may want to do their residency.

snowhite said:
Thanks guys! Great info.

More questions though:

Also, if you set up your own fourth year rotation, do they encourage you to stay in the same place as where you did the 3rd year?
So, if you can do 4th year at any hospital anywhere that will accept you? Really? That's amazing. Is it difficult to arrange?

Also, what is the schedule like for rotations? I don't know much about it. Will you have any freetime at all?

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
where it's bleeding
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
snowhite said:
Thanks guys! Great info.

More questions though:

--Factors include weather (Florida!), proximity to family or SO's, affiliations with certain health systems/medical centers.
Florida accepts ~10 or so people, the Michigan sites maybe between 10-30, Ohio, again 10-30, KC ~100 and then the rest go to miscellaneous places. At my site in Cleveland there is one other KC student. At the other Cleveland hospitals there are 2 at each.
We have to do ER and Cardio at the 3rd year site. The rest of the blocks you schedule at places you might be interested in doing residency at (welcome to my world), as well as the required rural family medicine and subinternships.
So, if you can do 4th year at any hospital anywhere that will accept you? Really? That's amazing. Is it difficult to arrange?
Yes, and I'll keep you posted on how difficult it actually is. ;)

Yes you will have free time. At its worst, it's like working a full time job + overtime. At it's best, it's banker's hours.

Snowhite, I'm going to recommend that during your first year you get the book "Iserson's Getting Into A Residency--A Guide for Medical Students" by Kenneth Iserson, MD. He offers advice that is valuable from day 1 of medical school all the way through 4th year. :luck:

OP
snowhite

snowhite

Sweet and Innocent
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
WannabeDO said:
The largest majority like to stay here for obvious reasons. However, there are usually more people who want KC than there are spots. The only requirements for fourth year is that you do your EM and Cardiology clerkships at your core site. The rest is up to you. Obviously, there will be space for you at your core hospital for anything that they offer, and you should have priority there if you wanted to stay there. Usually people use their scheduling freedom to check out hospitals where they may want to do their residency.
Thanks for the great info. How long are the EM and Cardiology clerkships? Can you schedule them immediately after 3rd year and then move to wherever hospital you want to do 4th year in? How about LORs for residencies? Would it look better to get it from some place you're staying at longer (i.e. someone at the same 3rd and 4th year location?)

OP
snowhite

snowhite

Sweet and Innocent
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
DrMaryC said:
--Factors include weather (Florida!), proximity to family or SO's, affiliations with certain health systems/medical centers.

Florida accepts ~10 or so people, the Michigan sites maybe between 10-30, Ohio, again 10-30, KC ~100 and then the rest go to miscellaneous places. At my site in Cleveland there is one other KC student. At the other Cleveland hospitals there are 2 at each.

We have to do ER and Cardio at the 3rd year site. The rest of the blocks you schedule at places you might be interested in doing residency at (welcome to my world), as well as the required rural family medicine and subinternships.
Yes, and I'll keep you posted on how difficult it actually is. ;)

Yes you will have free time. At its worst, it's like working a full time job + overtime. At it's best, it's banker's hours.

Snowhite, I'm going to recommend that during your first year you get the book "Iserson's Getting Into A Residency--A Guide for Medical Students" by Kenneth Iserson, MD. He offers advice that is valuable from day 1 of medical school all the way through 4th year. :luck:

Thanks Dr.Mary!

When you mention the "required rural family medicine and subinternships," what is this specifically? So, if you choose a hospital for 4th year, then it must be in a rural area? I may have misunderstood. Also, how long are these blocks?

Can you schedule when you want to come in for rotations? Do you do weekends too?

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I will look into that book right now on amazon.

You guys have been a great help! Seriously! Thanks

(P.S. Dr.MaryC- haven't seen you much in the lounge lately. Come back ;) )

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
where it's bleeding
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
snowhite said:
Thanks Dr.Mary!

When you mention the "required rural family medicine and subinternships," what is this specifically? So, if you choose a hospital for 4th year, then it must be in a rural area? I may have misunderstood. Also, how long are these blocks?

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I will look into that book right now on amazon.

You guys have been a great help! Seriously! Thanks
No problem!

A rural family medicine (I'm almost positive) is defined as a clinic that is so many miles away from a trauma center or something like that. So like, I'm in Cleveland, and I could do that one month at some little town within driving distance to my home if I wanted. OR I could get exotic and schedule the month in a clinic in the middle of Alaska. You can do what you want.

And for 4th year, you will not be at one hospital for the whole year. It's likely you will be at different hospitals within the same city, or perhaps even different cities.

Also, blocks are 4 weeks long.

Holla more if necessary! :D

ps--I'm a lurker :smuggrin: ....where've you been? :)

BamaAlum

15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
Status
Just to clarify. You can do your EM and Cardiology rotations at ANY KCUMB core site, not just your 3rd year core site. As for LOR's it depends on what you what to do and where you want to do it. If you are planning on doing a DO residency it doesn't really matter who your letters come from, but you should do an "audition rotation" at the program. If however, you want to do a residency at an MD program, especially in a small or competitive field, it is probably a good idea to try and do a rotation at a larger academic institution and try and get a letter from someone who is known in the field. It is by no means required but if you have a letter from So and So who has published 500 papers in ENT, as an example it will definitely help you out. Your other letters should be from preceptors who have worked with you and who gave you glowing evaluations.

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
where it's bleeding
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
BamaAlum said:
Just to clarify. You can do your EM and Cardiology rotations at ANY KCUMB core site.
How ya doin' Bama? I have to do those rotations at my core site. :rolleyes:

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
Something that you also might want to look into, though not as useful:

KCUMB Rural/Underserved Family Clinical Sites:

http://www.uhs.edu/academics/cce/rural_sites_state.asp

Anyway, being able to do your rotations anywhere is great for the fourth year. You can rotate at one or several major institutions, and so long as they like your effort/work, you'll probably have a better chance of also interviewing there for residency. Plus, you can get some great LOR's this way.

BamaAlum

15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2001
Status
DrMaryC said:
How ya doin' Bama? I have to do those rotations at my core site. :rolleyes:
Doing good, how 'bout you Mary? Why do you have to do yours at your core site? I'm doing one down here (Cards) but I am trying to do EM in Orlando, although they don't answer my calls or my e-mails. :rolleyes: I am trying to set up my 4th year now, what a royal pain. Most of the places I want to rotate at won't accept applications for electives until April so it is hard to plan anything.

LovelyRita

Blade Slinger
15+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2002
where it's bleeding
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
BamaAlum said:
Doing good, how 'bout you Mary? Why do you have to do yours at your core site? I'm doing one down here (Cards) but I am trying to do EM in Orlando, although they don't answer my calls or my e-mails. :rolleyes: I am trying to set up my 4th year now, what a royal pain. Most of the places I want to rotate at won't accept applications for electives until April so it is hard to plan anything.
I don't know why we have to, maybe it's something with a contract with the Ohio core.

And yes, this is a pain. I laugh everytime I look at my fall "schedule". When are you COMLEXing/Step 2-ing?

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
DrMaryC said:
I don't know why we have to, maybe it's something with a contract with the Ohio core.

And yes, this is a pain. I laugh everytime I look at my fall "schedule". When are you COMLEXing/Step 2-ing?
I'll be at an MO AHEC site, and I'm pretty sure I have to do my cardio/EM there or at another AHEC site. But then again, I'm not there yet, so I'll fill you in when I find out.

somnolent

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
(omnipresent)
Status
Medical Student
I have a somewhat related question. I've read that you start interviewing for a residency as early as the beginning of your fourth year. If you are interested in a specialty that is not part of your 3rd year core rotations, how do you get an "in" at a program before applying? Say I make a great contact with a well known ortho doc (willing to write a LOR), but if its not until the middle of my fourth year, is it too late?

Doctor Peloncito

Family Physician
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2002
California
Status
Attending Physician
Make contacts asap. You have to do your rotation at the site of interest before the program ranks applicants (sometime in feb/march I think). So you can apply whenever (deadline is feb I think) and then rotate when you can. Hope that helps. If someone has better info, feel free to step in.

rjfreed said:
I have a somewhat related question. I've read that you start interviewing for a residency as early as the beginning of your fourth year. If you are interested in a specialty that is not part of your 3rd year core rotations, how do you get an "in" at a program before applying? Say I make a great contact with a well known ortho doc (willing to write a LOR), but if its not until the middle of my fourth year, is it too late?