rdk322

5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi,

I'm a premed recently accepted to KCUMB. I thought of posting this here because I wanted to get some input from current KCUMB students on their rotation experiences.

While I feel comfortable about the quality of education that I'll receive for the first two years, I'm a bit worried about the 3/4th years as I kept reading (albeit older threads) that the rotations are a hit or miss.

[ aside: I plan to follow the ACGME route (in case I want to return to Canada after residency). I want to go to Chicago for residency/work to join my aunt's family, so I might arrange my electives to be in Chicago or a few in northeast (I heard hospitals in NE are more H1B visa friendly for international students in terms of residency)].

I've read mixed reviews, so I really want to know whether you thought the overall clinical years at KCUMB were good. A medical student pointed out that I should put more emphasis on the quality of clinical experiences than the first two years as a deciding factor and I do agree...

Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2012
Missouri
Status
Medical Student
Unfortunate to see nobody has replied yet. I am currently an MS1 at KCUMB but still don't know much about our clinical rotations. Sorry for the lack of info! Although I do remember at a COM meeting we had earlier this year, an MS3 or MS4 voiced some concern about this very subject, but it was met with other students that spoke highly of our clinical rotation sites (but since we're in KC, and M3/M4 is a busy time, a very small population of clinical years were in attendance).

Interested to see a response to OPs question.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hi,

I'm a premed recently accepted to KCUMB. I thought of posting this here because I wanted to get some input from current KCUMB students on their rotation experiences.

While I feel comfortable about the quality of education that I'll receive for the first two years, I'm a bit worried about the 3/4th years as I kept reading (albeit older threads) that the rotations are a hit or miss.

[ aside: I plan to follow the ACGME route (in case I want to return to Canada after residency). I want to go to Chicago for residency/work to join my aunt's family, so I might arrange my electives to be in Chicago or a few in northeast (I heard hospitals in NE are more H1B visa friendly for international students in terms of residency)].

I've read mixed reviews, so I really want to know whether you thought the overall clinical years at KCUMB were good. A medical student pointed out that I should put more emphasis on the quality of clinical experiences than the first two years as a deciding factor and I do agree...

Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm currently a 4th year at KCUMB and 3rd and 4th year rotations can definitely be hit and miss, but when it comes down to it, rotations really are what you make of them. I opted to get out of the KC region for 3rd and 4th year because I wanted the experience of being at a teaching hospital and learning from residents. I had never spent time with residents before this, so I wanted to learn more about what to expect during residency, and see first hand what life as a resident would be like. Even being at a teaching hospital though, I had many rotations (OB/GYN, Peds, Psych, FM) that were strictly outpatient with just a preceptor and myself, and many rotations that were basically glorified shadowing with little teaching from the preceptor and little participation on my part. While the days on these services were slow, it offered me plenty of time to study for boards/shelf exams and it promoted self-directed learning, something that will be required of us for the rest of our careers. I personally had no problem with the "light" rotations, as I had plenty of exposure to patients and a variety of pathology on other rotations where I was basically functioning as an intern (minus actually writing prescriptions and signing orders). My CORE site offered me great exposure to basically every residency specialty possible, and without this exposure, I never would have chosen the specialty to which I am applying and I couldn't be more grateful for my time at my CORE site.

So yes, 3rd and 4th year are an invaluable learning experience, and should be taken under careful consideration when deciding a med school and potentially where to complete 3rd and 4th year (as is the case with KCUMB). As long as you keep up on reading and studying, you can make virtually any rotation a great learning experience. My advice to 1st and 2nd year KCUMB students would be to determine whether or not you want to stay in KC or spend 3rd and 4th year at a teaching hospital, and then talk to as many 3rd and 4th years as possible to determine which core site would be best for you. Do some investigating early on in med school about what you might want to do for residency, and then shadow docs on your spare time in those specialties to see if it is actually something you could see yourself doing. Finally, if possible, try to get a core site with the specialty in which you are interested.

My disclaimer is that everyone will have a different opinion on KCUMB rotations, and many students will complain of a lack of help from the OCCE and want everything handed to them so they don't have to do any groundwork of their own while setting up rotations. It's true that you will have to set up basically everything on your own for 4th year, but it also allows us great independence on choosing where to complete our rotations 4th year. Just be ready to take some initiative and don't fall behind when scheduling rotations. And know that no school has perfect rotations, just make the best of them and work as hard you can during 3rd and 4th year…it'll al be over before you know it. Again, this is only my opinion based off my experience these past two years, so as is the case with everything else on these forums, take it all with a grain of salt and continue to seek advice from those who have gone before you.