KCUMB vs. KYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meowfishy1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have been accepted to KCUMB and just interviewed at KYCOM (I think it went well and will hopefully be accepted). While I loved KCUMB and was committed to going there before my KYCOM interview, the KYCOM interview has changed my perspective. I loved the school, the surrounding area, and it's hard to ignore a $10,000 difference in tuition per year, as well as the "KYCOM Advantage" of free books, Ipad, reimbursements for your boards, etc. I would really like some opinions because I am really struggling with trying to decide what is more important to me, whether it's a great school with a great reputation, match lists, high board pass rates, and more or a school that provides almost everything for its students, has significantly lower tuition, but with average first time board pass rates. Any input would be appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sick of people bashing KYCOM, I went with it over two other schools and I love it! The faculty here are amazing, they know exactly what they are doing and are great teachers. I would have to say our faculty are the most caring and helpful professors I ever had, plus they are hilarious. The school provides so many opportunities for learning, volunteering and conferences. We are literally getting a free trip, to go to DC for DO on the hill. Our dean is one of the most popular and influential DOs in the nation hands down. Our POM professor is working her way up the ladder and is said to be the next president of the osteopathic medicine organization. And we just got one of the best Neuroanatomy professors In the nation. On top of that we have a brand new state of the art building. They listen to the student body, we said we wanted more study rooms, guess what is currently being built (almost done in 2 months) as we speak? 25 new study rooms on campus. Our patient care doc is best friends with the PE examiner and our standardized patient exam rooms are literally a copy and paste of the PE exam rooms. We have great rotation sites, including PMC which is part of Mayo clinic. On top of all the free equipment, books, laptop, iPad and very cheap tuition I'd say we stand pretty strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm really sick of people bashing KCOM, I went with it over two other schools and I love it! The faculty here are amazing, they know exactly what they are doing and are great teachers. I would have to say our faculty are the most caring and helpful professors I ever had, plus they are hilarious. The school provides so many opportunities for learning, volunteering and conferences. We are literally getting a free trip, to go to DC for DO on the hill. Our dean is one of the most popular and influential DOs in the nation hands down. Our POM professor is working her way up the ladder and is said to be the next president of the osteopathic medicine organization. And we just got one of the best Neuroanatomy professors In the nation. On top of that we have a brand new state of the art building. They listen to the student body, we said we wanted more study rooms, guess what is currently being built (almost done in 2 months) as we speak? 25 new study rooms on campus. Our patient care doc is best friends with the PE examiner and our standardized patient exam rooms are literally a copy and paste of the PE exam rooms. We have great rotation sites, including PMC which is part of Mayo clinic. On top of all the free equipment, books, laptop, iPad and very cheap tuition I'd say we stand pretty strong.

Are you talking about KCOM or KYCOM?

This is just me, but I'd go any place in the US that would have me, but I'd prefer something in my state, naturally. Oddly enough, my state has 7 medical schools.