Keeler Fison, Topcon B.I.O. (Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscope)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Commando303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Keeler Fison, or the Topcon ID-5, B.I.O.? I understand the light from either is significantly different from that from a, say, Keeler Vantage or Heine Omega 500. Any opinions to this?

Thanks much.

*Title of thread ought to read, "Keeler Fison, Topcon B.I.O.s (Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscope)."

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone used the Keeler Fison, or the Topcon ID-5, B.I.O.? I understand the light from either is significantly different from that from a, say, Keeler Vantage or Heine Omega 500. Any opinions to this?

Thanks much.

*Title of thread ought to read, "Keeler Fison, Topcon B.I.O.s (Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscope)."

Don't ever buy a Topcon BIO, and if you are going to spend the money on a Keeler, don't waste it on a Fison. Heck, can you even buy those still? In residency, we had a bunch just sitting in the basement gathering dust. I'd bet you could find one for free--that might be worth it. The Fison was really good . . . about 50 years ago. Compared to moderns BIOs, the light source is dim and is inconsistent across the viewing area. Pony up for a more modern BIO. You'll be glad you did.

Don't ever buy a Topcon BIO, and if you are going to spend the money on a Keeler, don't waste it on a Fison. Heck, can you even buy those still? In residency, we had a bunch just sitting in the basement gathering dust. I'd bet you could find one for free--that might be worth it. The Fison was really good . . . about 50 years ago. Compared to moderns BIOs, the light source is dim and is inconsistent across the viewing area. Pony up for a more modern BIO. You'll be glad you did.

If I found a B.I.O. for free, I'd leap on it — :laugh:. As it is, Topcon's ID-5 and Keeler's Fison look to be my cheapest options. Sure, I'd go for, say, a Keeler Vantage, if it were in a lower price-bracket, but it isn't.

Do you know whether the Fison and the ID-5 are comparable to each other? No, I don't believe either is commonly sold, in 2011 (I'm quite sure the Topcon no longer is manufactured), but used pieces do occasionally emerge.

Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I found a B.I.O. for free, I'd leap on it — :laugh:. As it is, Topcon's ID-5 and Keeler's Fison look to be my cheapest options. Sure, I'd go for, say, a Keeler Vantage, if it were in a lower price-bracket, but it isn't.

Do you know whether the Fison and the ID-5 are comparable to each other? No, I don't believe either is commonly sold, in 2011 (I'm quite sure the Topcon no longer is manufactured), but used pieces do occasionally emerge.

Thanks much.

What price are you being quoted? Is it new? Used? If you're looking for new and reasonably priced, I'd invest in a Keeler Spectra Plus spectacle-mounted BIO. I've had the same one since residency, and I use it every day. Battery pack lasts for 4 months on a single charge. LEDs never need to be changed and provide a great light source.

What price are you being quoted? Is it new? Used? If you're looking for new and reasonably priced, I'd invest in a Keeler Spectra Plus spectacle-mounted BIO. I've had the same one since residency, and I use it every day. Battery pack lasts for 4 months on a single charge. LEDs never need to be changed and provide a great light source.

I'm looking at a few hundred dollars; I'd rather not crack a thousand (or, really, even approach it).

Unless the price really were right, I'd wish to avoid a spectacle-mounted B.I.O.

I'm looking at a few hundred dollars; I'd rather not crack a thousand (or, really, even approach it).

Unless the price really were right, I'd wish to avoid a spectacle-mounted B.I.O.

Few hundred dollars will be a used unit, for sure. As long as it works, and that's what you're budgeting, go for it. The viewing quality is far below modern BIOs, but the Fison sure is durable. I've used some that I think are over 20 years old!

I bought a Propper headmounted BIO my first year of optometry school and it lasted through 14 years of practice until a wire from the charger to the BIO went bad. I contacted the company and I can STILL get the wire replaced.

And they've been great to work with. I think I sent my BIO off for servicing once and have ordered replacement chargers, etc. No problem with the company whatsoever.

Mine was a small-pupil BIO. Oh my gosh, I love it. I have narrow PD's and it was the only BIO that worked for me.

I replaced my headmount BIO with the Proper spectacle-mount when the wire went bad and in order for the small-pupil feature to work, you have to order it with a diffuser. Without the diffuser, the small-pupil feature doesn't work as well. It's also really heavy!!! Optics are still nice though.

Gosh, it seems each mf can make a a few good products:
- Proper: Fantastic headmount BIOs
- Welch-Allyn: Fantastic retinoscope, but terrible direct ophthalmoscope.
- Keeler: Fantastic direct ophthalmoscope, not so great retinoscope (too dim).
- Topcon: Fantastic autorefractor. Great slit-lamps. Not so great phoropters. Not so great instrument stands (they don't have a secondary lock and so instruments move when patient approaches and that irritates this doctor).
- Marco: Fantastic chairs and stands, phoropters and lensometers. Some of their projectors and slit lamps ... well ... a grade B-. Hopefully they've improved upon the Marco IIB.

And that's the way the ophthalmic world works!

I bought a Propper headmounted BIO my first year of optometry school and it lasted through 14 years of practice until a wire from the charger to the BIO went bad. I contacted the company and I can STILL get the wire replaced.

And they've been great to work with. I think I sent my BIO off for servicing once and have ordered replacement chargers, etc. No problem with the company whatsoever.

Mine was a small-pupil BIO. Oh my gosh, I love it. I have narrow PD's and it was the only BIO that worked for me.

I replaced my headmount BIO with the Proper spectacle-mount when the wire went bad and in order for the small-pupil feature to work, you have to order it with a diffuser. Without the diffuser, the small-pupil feature doesn't work as well. It's also really heavy!!! Optics are still nice though.

Gosh, it seems each mf can make a a few good products:
- Proper: Fantastic headmount BIOs
- Welch-Allyn: Fantastic retinoscope, but terrible direct ophthalmoscope.
- Keeler: Fantastic direct ophthalmoscope, not so great retinoscope (too dim).
- Topcon: Fantastic autorefractor. Great slit-lamps. Not so great phoropters. Not so great instrument stands (they don't have a secondary lock and so instruments move when patient approaches and that irritates this doctor).
- Marco: Fantastic chairs and stands, phoropters and lensometers. Some of their projectors and slit lamps ... well ... a grade B-. Hopefully they've improved upon the Marco IIB.

And that's the way the ophthalmic world works!

I'm surprised by your comment about the retinoscopes: I feel Welch Allyn's is rather dimmer than Keeler's.